Milpitas, CA

Pearl Zanker Elementary School 4

Posted May 28, 2015
My kids go to zanker and they love it!! it is a pretty safe school. The only comment I have is that since the new Principal was brought it there were many changes that were not for the benefit of the children. First, it used ro be there was a daily flag ceremony where all children sing together while they are at their lines before going to the classroom. Mrs Doi the former principal would lead this and make announcements as to who are the bday celebrants and student of the week. She also had students from a class perform a planned activity such as present information on a certain college or university which makes the children think and learn about these schools at an early age. I thought this was fun, benefitted the children and allowed the parents to know what is going on in the school on a daily basis. But this was gone as soon as the new principal took over. Instead she uses this time to be a parking monitor and tell parents that they are parked at the wrong spot! Really!! You need a degree for this???? And we are paying taxes for this?? What a good use of your expertise and time! So now the children just goes straight to class once the bell rings. Second, friday fun is gone. The principals involvement in activities for the children is minimal if not non existent! I used to hear the principals name from my son all the time. Like, mrs doi has a pizza party for us or mrs doi this! But now, none of that! Third, the drug program for sixth graders is gone! This is such an important aspect and it being gone is truly unacceptable!! Why do you think the nation has many criminals and treatment rehabs are popping all over the place it is because of addiction! Teaching children at such early age about this is crucial in their abilities to be successful and that being taken out says a lot about the principal's principle in caring for our kids! Fourth, she is definitely an absentee principal. Never have I seen her in most of the events nor see her roaming around the school grounds. She doesnt also give eye contact nor say Hi to the children or the parents. She is tucked away in her office or behind the desk in the front office. One time we were late for class and instead of greeting she just looked and made a face like why are these children late?!! If this principal continues to make changes such as these, then the school will go down the drain. Sad

Pearl Zanker Elementary School
Develops empathy: Agree

Posted May 28, 2015
I think they can do better on this aspect since sometimes I have heard teachers talk to their students in an irritated tone.

Posted May 12, 2015
I so glad to see Zanker catching up with the times. There seems to be a shift from the tired traditional ways of teaching toward more innovation, technology and creativity. There still remains some teachers that need to retire but it is very exciting to see Zanker aligned with the community it serves. The Common Core seems very intimidating and difficult. I just hope my child's teachers can help me help him along the way.

Pearl Zanker Elementary School 1

Posted February 04, 2015
Ms Lee, the new principal, should get on-the-job training somewhere else. I don't quite understand how the district can send someone so unqualified to Zanker. What used to be a good school is not really bad. I cannot wait for the end of this school year to pull my kids out. Now, the old good teachers are either not motivated or planning to or already moved out. Did you guys meet any of the new teachers? Most of the new ones are rude probably thanks to the new culture of Ms Lee. Most of the good programs (setup by the good old principal) are now changed and gone. Principal is rude, culture is rude, new teachers looks like high school kids. So Sad.

Pearl Zanker Elementary School 2

Posted May 30, 2014
We were very excited about this school when we first moved here, as all indications pointed toward it being excellent. However, we have been sorely disappointed with the promised differentiation and the lack of academic challenge.

Posted April 29, 2014
Both my kids go to Zanker and they absolutely love it. I love Mrs Kim. She is funny, great teacher and challenges each student in their own way. Ms. Cohen is also very nice to students. I can not comment on the principal as a parent. I wish though there was more opportunity to participate as a parent in extra curricular activities. The school needs to invest in that. But overall I would give 4.5 starts to the experience.

Pearl Zanker Elementary School 2

Posted April 15, 2014
Zanker school is circling the drain... so sad they've brought over sub-par staff (principal, teachers) from Russell.

Posted March 31, 2014
Excellent teachers like Ms. Cohen and a great principal Ms. Lee. I don't understand the negative reviews.

Pearl Zanker Elementary School 3

Posted October 24, 2013
I miss Mrs. Doi!! I agree that I have to give the new principal a chance but dont like the changes. I do however love all the teachers Mrs Ballenger, Mrs, Spanegal and Mrs Cheung are all awesome. I havent had experience with the other teachers but am sure also have great teaching skills and ethics. 3 star because I would like to see more parent involvement and extra curricular activities ( I know sadly due to budget cuts) I also see many parents smoking while walking to school and that does not set good examples to other children. 3 star because I wish friday fun still existed :(

Pearl Zanker Elementary School 1

Posted October 03, 2013
The school was great before Miss doi retired. Everything was organized and it was about our children . The new principal is rude and wears inappropriate clothing she has no experience and no business at all working in this school. I wound'nt be supprise if parents are going to start pulling their kids out of this school and staff and teachers are going to quit cause of her. Mr. Superintendent if you care about our kids not just saving money and kissing someone's you know what, get rid of her and find someone more qualified to do the job. Be more understanding on what our school needs and don't be selfish. A lot of things was change, that's ok. Make sure our kids are happy. I wouldn't donate my time and money to this principal at all. Parents has the power to get her fired stick together call the district make a complaint or file a petition to get her out of our school. We where 9.5 ratings before, now 7.

Pearl Zanker Elementary School
1585 Fallen Leaf Drive, Milpitas, CA  95035
Last modified Pearl Zanker Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pearl Zanker Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top