Bishop Alemany High School

Private | 9-12

Living in Mission Hills

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $275,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Sweep tile

Posted December 2, 2013

My daughter went to Bishop Alemany High School and LOVED it. It is an environment where the individual student is challenged to do his or her best. The students are encouraged to be a part of the community too. It really is a family oriented school. There are so many activities to get involved with from community service, athletics, clubs and organizations. The teachers are SO very dedicated and really care and want the students to succeed. My daughter graduated and now attends UCLA. Submitted by a parent

Posted October 10, 2013

I've had two daughters go to Bishop Alemany. It is the largest co-ed Archdiocesan Catholic school in the region, over 1,600 students, with plenty of sports (including swimming) and extracurricular activities, strong academic program, AP classes, music program with a first class schola cantorum and a strong orchestra program. Smartboards in every classroom. Every kid uses an ipad. Beautiful campus was previously the archdiocesan minor seminary. There is something for everybody. Principal Frank Ferry is an Alemany graduate and is a wonderful hands-on administrator. Innovative block scheduling. Will work with students who have developmental needs. One of my daughters is in 10th grade and doing well academically while playing volleyball and playing sax in the school band. My other daughter graduated and is a college junior working on a music degree at CSUN.

Posted December 16, 2012

My daughter attended this school for one year-- She loved it. She loved most all of her teachers and the performing arts dpt really GOT her and gave her a chance. They believed in her and for all intended purposes they were a school that gave her confidence. The front desk is sweet and have been there forever--and are really nice. The tuition office is another story! impatient, cold and uncaring. I think they just need a revamp of tuition personnel and it's a homerun!

Posted October 17, 2012

Shady conduct abound this school when it comes to relationships between the administration and football. There were always alot of stories of favoritism towards athletes when I graduated from there a year ago. As great as the academics are it is definitely something to keep in mind when considering which school to send your children to. The teachers at higher levels are generally very competent and involved with the kids they teach but non-AP classes are a different story. My experience as an average student there was a mixed bag in terms of some teachers that were competent and some who were practically senile so I would be wary of that as well if you are looking for a good focus on education for the less scholarly students. In the end though those gripes are really the only downsides and other than the sometimes sloppy office staff work you wont be finding this level of quality anywhere nearby. I have to admit that the school is a pretty good value if you manage to catch it at the right times.

Posted May 25, 2012

Alemany is great and special private school. I have 2 children attending and I can only say nothing but good things! The studies are rigorous, the discipline (if your late to anything) is consistent, and I personally can say there is a NO TOLERANCE for any bad behavior. Over the years, I have seen students expelled for not adhering to the rules (even athletes!). Both my kids LOVE Alemany, and shockingly, so do most of the kids that attend Alemany! The Principal is a great man and truly loves the kids, the staff is caring. My son is graduating and said to me, "I am going to miss Alemany, and if I had to do it over again, I won't change a thing!" My son did well and has been accepted into UCSD, CLU and 2 other CSU schools. My son is a better, well-rounded, happy young man through Alemany's nurturing environment.

Posted May 13, 2011

Alemany was always a reknowned schools in the SF Valley and therefore I was very saddened to hear some of the stories circulating today. Mainly, favoritism to football players who are given privilages not afforded to others. Walking into school late and bragging about not being given detention, not wearing the school uniform, and worse, tardy slips being written off by the Deans. Students getting caught doing things at school in direct violation of the school 'no tolerance' policy should be immediately expelled. When these culprits get caught and are then asked to report on other students' private lives (away from school) in lieu of being expelled what is the lesson being taught? More so, when the other students are expelled and the suspect is allowed to remain. The Principal is a gentleman of high Catholic and moral values and is an excellent role model to his students. Saddly however, other staff members do not stand by his ethic of fairness and equality. Shape up Alemany, rules are made for the entire student body, not just for a few.

Posted October 5, 2009

We have great programs to develop leaders who will make a difference in the world

Posted September 16, 2009

Alemany has an amazing community feel geared toward developing well rounded individuals. My friends from Alemany will be with me forever!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 4, 2009

My son went to this school and he did extremely well. I am happy it was so close to us.

Posted March 2, 2008

Hello, I am a student at Bishop Alemany High School. I believe we have the best school in the San Fernando Valley. We have an incredibly accepting atmosphere. We do not judge anyone for not playing a sport or any other factor other than their own personality. We focus on sports, yes, but education is and always will be the first priority. We offerr many extracurricular activities and encourage excellence in both fields. I say all this as a student who plays no sports at Aleamny. All you have to do to fell welcomed at our school is be a good person and and not assumWe have the highest acceptance rating for colleges out of all the local high schools. (97.8 % of our students are accepted into major unigood schools.) Alemany is an amazing place togrow and I encourage all to attend it.

Posted February 25, 2008

Alemany is a really great school. With our new principal, I feel the faculty, staff, students, etc. all come together as a family. Sports are very important to our school, but our number one priority is the students' education. This year, our Academic Decathalon won for the 13th time. Now you can't tell me that AHS doesn't care about learning... Definitely one of the top schools...

Posted January 17, 2008

My whole family loves Bishop Alemany. We switched our 2 kids from LAUSD to Alemany. What a great choice. Everyone is soo welcoming. The principle is very hands on and makes positive change immediately! The honors program is more difficult than LAUSD so our students are better prepared for college. 90% of our students are accepted to four yr. college.

Posted January 13, 2008

I am a student at BHS and i would just like to say that they are way in over there heads and should focus more on academics istead of sports. Let's just say you are a nobody if you dont belong to a sport at this school.

Posted September 26, 2007

It is an excellent school, we are always welcome, and the teachers quality is outstanding. Excelent choice for my daughter's education.

Posted May 9, 2007

I have an 11th grader and a 9th grader and the school has been a wonderful experience for them at different levels. We are moving out of state and now we know what we want in a school thanks to having been part of BAH. The hardest part of moving has been leaving the school.

Posted September 20, 2006

Bishop Alemany High School is a safe and fun enviornement for our kids. You will always feel welcomed in the Alemany community.

Posted May 25, 2005

I have a senior graduating, honored and accepted at several universities-academically, Alemany is more than adequate. Regarding the AP exams, I do not believe enough hands on teaching was applied. Not enough extra lessons, or other efforts by the teachers to fully educate the AP students. Though my son did well, he was likely the exception, as he likes to study and learn. Extracurricular activities abound!

Posted November 21, 2004

Its a great private school!

Posted April 19, 2004

My son is a senior at Bishop Alemany and has thoroughly enjoyed his high school experience. The school has provided invaluable learning and leadership that would not have been offered through public schools. As with all communities, there are downsides. The most glaringly apparent for me is the lack of tolerance and expectation of respect for those who don't 'fit neatly inside the box.'

Ethnicity This school
American Indian/Alaska Native 1%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Two or more races 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11111 North Alemany Drive