Capistrano Valley High School 2

Posted October 10, 2014
Visited this school with my teenagers while on a house hunting trip. The building is showing its age, but the staff and teachers seem welcoming and very professional. They have a very nice 50 meter pool. Giving this school two stars and deciding to look elsewhere because my children are interested in engineering. The PLTW program is entered only through a districtwide lottery. So if you attend this school and don't win their lottery your kids transcript will be missing those 4 engineering classes that the other kids from capo will have. They probably should have given preference to kids from capo, and used a lottery for the rest, as this will be a significant disadvantage to those students trying to get into an engineering college. Tesoro and Aliso Viejo both have newer facilities and better test scores anyway, so I will probably try our luck with the lotto after moving to one of those schools. JSerra Catholic has a very nice Engineering Magnet, if you can afford it.

Capistrano Valley High School 4

Posted August 25, 2013
I'm giving my school an above average rating because this school offers a variety of classes ranging from Marine Biology to AP Art History. This school offers alot more classes than other schools in the area, but my problem with this school is that I don't feel challenged. No one pushes you to your potential. There are so many smart kids at my school who don't know it because either they're not motivated or not being pushed hard enough. Other than that it's a pretty good school, all the teachers are nice and it's a very easy going school.

Capistrano Valley High School 2

Posted August 10, 2011
I went to Capo in the late 80's. I was very intelligent, but was one of the students that fell through the cracks and dropped out. The school officials knew I was struggling with issues at home, but there was very little outreach to me. School should have been a sanctuary, a refuge from my crazy life, but it wasn't. As for the academic material, many of my classes were about memorizing information for tests - which I promptly forgot if I even bothered at all - there was zero critical thinking. I was the invisible and troubled child in the room that was never engaged. I ended up taking the GED the year after I should have graduated. There were quite a few students like me that you will never hear about, but we existed then and probably still do now. I went on to carry a 3.9 GPA in college and a successful career, so my story has a happy ending - but I know there are ones who aren't as lucky.

Capistrano Valley High School 4

Posted November 14, 2009

Posted September 16, 2009
I went to Capo, as well as my older sister and younger brother! All three of my boys went to capo, my youngest is a senior this year! Gotta love Capo! Go Cougars!

Capistrano Valley High School 1

Posted August 09, 2009

Posted June 17, 2009
Although my kids did not do particularly well in his class -- because it's tough and the students are required to think in depth about what they write -- they agree that Dr. Corbett was the best teacher they ever had. I'm glad he will not change his teaching style and will say the things that need to be said in order to help students develop into independent critical thinkers instead of automatons.

Capistrano Valley High School 5

Posted May 10, 2009
CVHS is really an amazing school that is a source of pride here in Mission Viejo. The biggest gem is the guidance department. My son's academic advisor did everything should could to take care of my son and he will be attending UC Berkeley next year after a great educational experience in the AP Program at this school. CVHS is unique because it has the IB Program as well, and my son took certificate classes from IB in Spanish and Physics. Many of the full diploma IB students are going off to amazing schools. Off the top of my head, there are graduates this year attending Stanford, Harvard, Penn, Washington University St. Louis, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Rice, Georgetown, Columbia, etc... The facilities are kept in great condition for an older school and a new theater will be built next year and open in 2010. Administration is great. Go Cougars!!

Capistrano Valley High School 5

Posted January 15, 2009

Posted January 07, 2009
I am a parent of a Freshman at Capo and am thrilled my daughter is attending this school! The academics are challenging, the teachers are motivated to teach, and the Principal takes an active interest in the students. I've also received wonderful support from the Guidance dept.

Capistrano Valley High School
26301 Via Escolar, Mission Viejo, CA  92692
Last modified Capistrano Valley High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Capistrano Valley High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top