Montevideo Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Mission Viejo

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $390,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,120.

Posted February 10, 2014

My rating isn't indicative of the school specifically but rather the horrible district the school is a part of. The school, teachers, principal and psychologist seem awesome, but their hands are tied by the lack of resources and support from the district. My son will not be ready for his next grade, but there isn't anyone can do about it because that's not the goal. The goal is to make them (current) grade appropriate, not actually be appropriate when they reach the next grade.

Posted February 10, 2014

We love this school! We were able to transfer into this school and it is the best thing to happen to our son. The new principal is wonderful, caring, supportive and REAL. The teacher they chose for our son is PERFECT. The classrooms are big and feel open, airy and yet colorful. Everyone is friendly and the PTA is extremely active. They actually have their own little TV station and everything. We love it so far!

Posted October 8, 2013

The PTA does a great job and everyone involved in it is very dedicated to the cause. We all wish the best for our children and PTA does a great job of bringing us together with their afterschool activities. All teachers and staff are nice and do their best. I agree that some are more dedicated than others. I think they all are overworked and underpaid. I have to mention that behavioral issues start at home. It is a combined effort, but most loud and out of control kids are thought to be that way at home not at school. I do agree that some teachers are more passionate about kids than others. The principal is new so we do not know much about her. The only difference I see this year is that all of a sudden the schedules are messed up. NO HALLOWEEN? Antoher event was scheduled on that day??? Kids have to wear red on the school picture day? So, most student's pictures are going to be in red and as if they were in uniform?? ..Looks like everything is rushed this year. It is not organized and sounds like everything was put together last minute without much care or thought put in to it. Hope they get organized soon.

Posted August 15, 2013

Montevideo Elementary school is litterly the most best school in the world!!! I'm serious right now...we have the most nices teachers ever and students there are sooooo nice but the princible is amazing I am so happy to go to this school I wish it was a senior school to so I could go there we usually have a lot of things planned at our school like book fairs and raffles and that is supporting us students more than every we have new students come every year cause the parents think its a cheap and easy school I totally think my school deserves the money and I'm not just saying that I really really mean it it would help our school out a lot like. :More and newer computers :More playground supplies :More items for the teach kids and way me cool things so please please please with a cherry on top please donate our school money and we'll be happy way more than we already are!!

Posted September 30, 2012

I did not find my child's 1st grade teacher to be effective. The classroom lacked management so the noise level was high causing a less then desirable learning environment. Add to this, this 'burnt out' teacher said very inappropriate things, one example: she discussed which students were being retained with the class. Now we are in 2nd grade, and I feel we will have the same experience--another mediocre teacher who should retire, lacking the ability to manage effectively and create an optimal learning environment. I appreciate the PTA and parent involvement here and I chose this school because I had heard great things about it, but with the teachers, it's really 'hit or miss'. They do have great teachers here, so I've heard, but I have yet to exeperience them first hand. My bad luck.

Posted November 7, 2010

I love the parent & PTA direct involvement. The programs really enrich the students creativity. The school has a wonderful Autism specific program on site & they are my HEROS. Students take great ownership of the school & participate in enriching other kids lives like PEER Buddies (These kids ROCK). Montevideo is simply AMAZING

Posted October 13, 2010

The teachers, staff, PTA and parents truly have the best interests of the students in mind and heart. They all work together to keep the school running smoothly and all students needs met.

Posted February 23, 2010

This is our third year here and I am so pleased. The community of parents are genuinely invested in the school's programs, and the new principal, who has now on his second year, is approachable and very dedicated. Being a teacher myself, I am so pleased with Montevideo's small school feel. The students matter and can feel safe and confident in their surroundings. I feel blessed to have found such a nice school!

Posted February 6, 2010

Two of my children have attended Montevideo, in all I've been a part of this school for the last 8 years. I am grateful for the wonderful teachers that dedicate their time and much more to ensure that our children receive a top quality education. Certainly I believe that in the case of our Principal, there could be some improvement to his approachability and receptiveness to ensure that children are in a safe environment that promotes learning based on individual needs. The teachers, parents and children make the school the best that it can be! Our community is lucky to have such a great school in Mission Viejo!

Posted November 29, 2009

The principal may be visible around the school, but that doesn't mean he's doing his job well. The teachers are afraid to approach him with any concerns, scheduling a meeting with him is nearly impossible due to the unfriendly and unhelpful front desk staff, and he smirks at parents! My children are receiving a decent education, but I don't feel there is anything particularly outstanding about this school, other than the amount of parent involvement.

Posted March 31, 2009

Since there hasn't been a review in a while, I thought I should write one. We have a new principal this year and he is fabulous! He's visible around school all day every day and knows the children by name. He has made this year at Montevideo even better than the previous three. I have a 1st and 3rd grader and they love school! It is a welcoming environment and the school is enhanced by a strong and committed PTA and parent volunteer base. My children feel safe and loved at school and look forward to going! I couldn't be happier!

Posted January 29, 2008

This is our 3rd. year at Montevideo and so far it's been okay. We had a great 1st year, the teacher was so nice and great with my son. This year so far so good. This teacher is very nice and treats everyone with respect and has been very good to my child. All in all I I do like the school and the programs are great. If you volunteer your treated better then the rest, it's unfair for the parents who can't. I do wish that would change.

Posted August 30, 2007

This is our third year at Montevideo and we couldn't be happier. Both my children now attend (K and 2nd) and are excited to go to school. Not only are the teachers motivated to teach and to make learning exciting but they make the time to know everyone and offer that welcoming smile around the school. The parent involvement in Huge! You would be hard pressed not to find at least one helper per class during some part of the day. Montevideo's PTA works very hard to provide free family geared events every month and raise much needed money for our school due to district budget cuts. Our PTA has provided Meet the Masters, a Science Lab and a lunch time activity called 'Half Time Happenings'. I love this school and so do my kids! Montevideo Mountaineers - We Rock!

Posted July 17, 2007

I am the Mother of 2 bright children at this school.The Principal has not been available for me on many occassions.I try to help out in classes as much as possible, but I do work outside the home.Parents do volunteer. But what goes on in the classrooms -should stay in the classroom. Not discussed at the pick up,crosswalk,park,nearby grocery store, etc.Concerns have been brought up to the office with no results accomplished thus far. So I believe we as Parents-volunteers should be required to sign a waiver of confidentiality to ensure that while volunteering, the children's class scores, struggles,achievements,discipline problems are kept private. Maybe it would put a stop to this. Also, we as parents/volunteers should be limited in what we do to help the teacher's & students in the classrooms. No testing of the students. We are not the teachers. I know this is done in many classes.

Posted February 7, 2007

We've been apart of Montevideo now, for 4 years. I am so impressed w/the teachers, and the principal. The PTA has some strong parents who devote endless hours to make our school a better place for our children. We have new programs, science, meet the masters, music, etc that benefits all our children. I'm proud my children are apart of such a wonderful school.

Posted September 16, 2006

This is our daughter's 3rd year at Montevideo, and so far, it has been a positive experience for our entire family. As other parents have stated, the school is in desperate need of upgrading, but construction is underway this year and the changes that have been announced look great. We have found the principal to be extremely helpful, but you do have to approach him. Every concern we have brought to his attention has been addressed and corrected. We have had two very good teachers and one mediocre. Not too bad, for a public school. Academics are definitely stressed. Test scores are good. Parent involvement is extremely high. On any given day, the number of parents outnumber the staff of the school! One negative: the parents can be very superficial and catty, but that's not surprising, as this is Orange County. All in all, a great school!

Posted October 6, 2004

This is our sons 3rd year at Montevideo, his 3rd year without complaints. The teachers are caring and the campus is safe and secure for the kids.

Posted August 12, 2004

I am not impressed with this school at all. Unfortunately, the school is dated and run down and that's just what you see on the outside. On the inside you'll find a multi-purpose room that serves many purposes such as a multi-media room/library/assembly area. Next to the multi-purpose room resides the 'Queen' aka the office manager who is the rudest woman I have ever met and should not be working anywhere around children. The teachers at this school are the only redeeming quality but unfortunately, there a lot of undesirable teachers who have been teaching for 25+ years that the school can't retire. Overall, this school gets a BIG thumbs down!

Posted February 11, 2004

My daughter is a kindergarten student at Montevideo this year and I have been favorably impressed with the school. The curriculum is much more demanding than it was when I was in kindergarten and that, combined with the short attention span typical for children this age, makes the teacher s job especially challenging. However, my daughter s teacher does an excellent job of keeping the childrens minds engaged.(I do believe this school, like all other public schools in the state, could really use a bigger budget. That matter also requires parental involvement in the form of voting for budget initiatives.)

Posted December 1, 2003

After only being a Montevideo parent for 3 months, I am not highly impressed. The school lacks in communication with the parents, which is a key component to making a school successful. Fliers and notices regarding special events go home too late to sign up for acitvities or after they have already happened. Teachers should not be sharing contracts at the kindergarten level either. There is too much confusion for the children, especially when there is no consistency with the teachers. One kindergarten teacher, whom I will not mention, can not even manage to pick up her students on time. I think this is very unprofessional and sets a bad example for the students. During back to school night when asked how the students would be challenged or if the curriculum would be modified for higher achieving students, the teacher practically laughed at my question and replied that the curriculum wouldn't be modified but they would be challenged. If the education the high and low students are receiving is the same, how can the higher students really be cahllenged? In summary, I will wait out this year and challenge my child on my own, hoping for a better year in first grade.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students68%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

24071 Carrillo Drive