Public charter
Modesto, CA
After care: No
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Valley Charter has spirit and academic excellence! Our school shines with a new coat of navy blue and silver school colors as we proudly announce our bronze medal ranking in the US News and World Report's Best High Schools in the nation. Valley Charter is a small, caring family environment across the street from Modesto Junior College. More students than ever are taking college classes in both the morning and afternoon because of a revised schedule and priority registration at MJC. Valley Charter is a wonderful place for motivated students who want to attend college classes at NO tuition cost to their families and get an early start on college, career and community success!
August 9, 2014

Posted October 19, 2014
Offers college classes but makes it difficult for the students to go. They do not work around class schedules and there are also other high schools who allow college classes concurrently. Bad attitudes by some of the newer faculty bordering on bullying behavior which is not dealt with swiftly and professionally. Their math program consists of Khan Academy. We can do that at home! Very low math scores across the board. Students needs to have a thick skin, a willingness to bite their tongue and be able to self-motivate to make it through VCHS unscathed.

Posted September 03, 2014
My school has caring teachers and motivates me to be a better person with character trait teaching, presentation and job skill training as well as a great Leadership, Robotics and Skills program. I could not have asked for a better experience and would recommend it to everyone. I graduated with pride in my accomplishments and would not trade my experience for anything!!!

Valley Charter High School 2

Posted October 23, 2013
This is an opinion about my experience at VCHS and as such should not be judged by another person's experience. I believe this school has provided many high notes and many low notes for my child throughout the four years we've been here. It is very strict with HW. On one hand they want the students to take initiative and be young adults and on the other hand they refuse to give them a little breathing room to think for themselves. Some kids thrive in an environment like this and others do not. However, I realize it is a delicate balancing act to accommodate all types of students. There seems to be a click of teachers who get information passed onto them that they shouldn't know. Certain information should be kept confidential so that there aren't problems between parent, teacher and student. That is the problem with gossiping. There are many charter schools for parents to choose from and some of them also offer MJC classes with FREE tuition. It's up to each individual to decide whether the extreme workload and the strict rules are for them. My opinion is this school is on a downward spiral. I am glad this is our child's last year. Look at the student and parent reviews and decide.

Posted August 29, 2013
Concerning the parent that posted a review of the school posted 8-16-13, I have a son at this school and continues to grow in his schooling with the new principal and teaches. He is under no pressure and has above a 4.0 GPA. He manages is work load and loves the fact that his school has rules that are inforced unlike other high schools that just "talk" about rules but do nothing about violations. It is amazing how you only give the block learning one week of trail and then make a judgement about the block system. Try giving it one year before you past judgement. As far as doing a grade check, how much easier can it be then going to the web site, print the grade check sheet, and then have the student go around on a Friday have the teaches fill in the information. I did this last Friday and it worked great! Maybe you should get yourself involved with helping your child be a self starter, meaning spend some time training your child and this will pay off for them in school and life. Valley Charter HS has been a great place for our family and our son has grown in his education learning with this school and staff. Teaches come and go that is life just like people in the workforce.

Posted August 16, 2013
Valley Charter High School used to be a good school. The education was second to none. Beware, Valley Charter has a new principal with little experience while she means well, the students are suffering. The staff is slowly leaving and being replaced with certified teachers instead of teachers with degrees. The students are under a lot more pressure and even more work and she seems overly concerned about dress code. "Don't show your shoulders." The school day has been changed as well with half the day devoted to "block learning," my son comes home and says the teachers only teach for an hour of the mandated two hour class in the afternoon and then the students are allowed free time to study or read. So much for block learning. They are required to do a lot of outside activities such a volunteering, job shadowing and presentations. It requires a lot of focus and a lot of work. If your child is struggling or not a self starter or has a job outside of school then this school will be a difficult transition. There is little communication between teacher and child and it requires a lot of effort on the part of the parent to even get a grade check. Valley Charter does have an IL program.

Posted August 06, 2013
My child has been attending Valley Charter High School for the past 3 years. I have seen many positive and forward thinking changes take place in this time. The staff as a whole really seem to care about the kids not just the test scores. Academics are celebrated in BIG ways, in ways that I have never seen at another school. I am particularly impressed with the secretaries and the security and the personal time that they put into the school. I have never been to an event that I have not seen one, usually both secretaries and the security personnel at. I have never spoke with the Principal's Secretary, Security officer, or the front office secretary that they did not do everything in their power to help me. I am also very impressed with how the staff supports the extracurricular activities the VCHS offers. There are many clubs, some sports, and lots of activities for the students to be involved in. I am proud to be a VCHS parent.

Valley Charter High School 3

Posted December 18, 2012
The school rates High on my list because of the Teachers that Teach our students there. I can't say anything else about the Principal and her Secretary. Her Secretary thinks she has CONTROL over Everything in the school, to include the parent involvement. She is RUDE and disrespectful to those she chooses, for NO reason to dislike and discriminates children out of being able to be included in some of the school activities. If she worked on her duties as hard as she texts on her cell phone all day, and is rude to others she would have NO work to do, because she does that well...NOTHING. API sccores have gone Down, Student enrollment has gone Down! This school before she got here used to run like a family! This is why we chose the school, for the loving and caring environment, of the Teachers, Students and the Parents. No Wonder you keep losing students... NO ONe is Happy going to Valley Charter anymore!!!! Not, even the teachers, when they have to deal with the Secretary. She puts the teachers off and only does things for the teachers when she chooses to, by who she likes and dislikes and... She has NO Respect for the School, the Teachers, the Students and Parents!

Posted November 29, 2012
I am a parent and I have a son who is a freshman at valley charter and hates this school. He is so stressed out with homework and it has me stressed out because when he doesn't finish his homework then I finish it for him because he has a breakdown. This is the worst school ever and I regret sending my son here. He will not be attending this school next year. I think it is ridiculous the amount of work that the freshman have to do and these demonstrations and exhibitions that they have to do 4x a year which prepare them for speaking in front of people, should only be given to juniors and seniors. I will not recommend this school to any of my friends.

Posted January 06, 2012
I, as a student, have been attending this school for all 4 years of my high school career. Ever since the start of senior year, and a new administration taking the helm, it has been nothing but miserable. The staff is severely oppressed, coming from a happy, and uplifting atmosphere where parents were always informed of their student's performances are now clueless to the school's activities. Nothing makes me sadder than to see how bad of a turn for the worst this school has taken. Half of the senior class has left the school due to the oppressive atmosphere and lack of engagement for the students and many more are on their way out the door. This school went from a happy, family-feeling school to a military-style alternative education high school. There is virtually no leadership because the principal is not present most of the school days which makes it exceedingly difficult to discuss anything with her. The old staff, which unfortunately might not be there too much longer, is the only thing keeping the school alive. The new staff is driving students away and making the entire high school experience a very bad one.

Posted December 12, 2011
Valley charter high school is an Early College High School. We offer College Prep and honors level courses. Our courses are academically rigorous and prepapre students for the work they will do in their future educational endeavors at a CSU or UC.

Valley Charter High School
108 Campus Way, Modesto, CA  95350
Last modified Valley Charter High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valley Charter High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top