Modesto, CA

John Fremont Elementary School 3

Posted February 10, 2014
The teachers and Principal are great. The Principal is extremely helpful and listens to the parents, she is kind , helpful, and easy to talk to; my son adores her. The office staff are rude and cold. The first day to register the office personal told me it was her job to request school records? Then whose job is it? She was not kind nor helpful. I cant believe she works with parents and children on a daily basis. Overall I like the school . I just wished they had money to do a complete over haul of the school it is a really old building and I was surprised that there are no computers in the class.

Posted January 31, 2011
In looking at the Aug. 19, 2009 review, please note it was entered by a student.

John Fremont Elementary School 2

Posted August 19, 2009
This school had fights arguments and a lot of problems. No thanks to the princible mrs. manly always caused us trouble. when we start to play a game she sooner or later stops the game.

Posted June 02, 2009
I've had one child graduate and one well on the way and have nothing but praise for the teachers, the administrators and fellow parents. Each and every year the Fremont Open Plan community has proved to be a safe, engaging and challenging place for my children.

Posted March 20, 2006

John Fremont Elementary School 0

Posted February 08, 2006
I have had the privilege of teaching in Modest City School's Open Plan school for almost 30 years. It is a nurturing, creative and stimulating place, for students, parents and teachers. I am so happy to be a part of this wonderful place of learning!

John Fremont Elementary School 0

Posted February 08, 2006
It is not very well known that there is a separate school on The Fremont Elementary campus. It is called Fremont Open Plan and is an alternative campus. Open Plan has great teachers who encourage help in the classroom, grades K-6. Literature and interest based learning, cross-aging, Parent participation, co-operative groups, non-grading and partnership are some aspects of Open Plan. I encourage you to check out www.fremontopenplan.com

Posted November 05, 2005
My two oldest children both started kindergarten at Fremont. My oldest started at Fremont Neighborhood school and my second oldest started at Fremont Open Plan. Gary McBride was my oldest's kindergarten teacher. He was wonderful, patient and kind and genuinely appreciating the intricate developmental differences of the age group, and challenging or supporting students accordingly. Anne Adrien was my second oldest's kindergarten teacher. She was also wonderful, assisting children in developing their individuality and creativity in the educational environment. Fremont Neighborhood appreciates parent involvement and offers choir and orchestra for older students. Open Plan requires parent participation of 1 hour per week inside the classroom, per student. Open plan also requires parents to invest $100 per year per student, but this fee helps absorb the cost of the numerous enrichment activities this program provides for it's students. The pricipal is highly involved. And this site has an afterschool latch-key program.

Posted October 28, 2005
I had three children complete elementary school at Open Plan and all have gone on to have very successful acedemic careers. I believe the quality of the overall education they received was better than other schools in Modesto. The teachers are dedicated and the parental involvement makes a huge difference. Most OP students are involved in many other activities including music, either at school, privately or both. OP students, in my opinion, are more aware of the community around them and involved in making that community a better place.

John Fremont Elementary School 4

Posted September 27, 2005
This is about Fremont Open Plan, a school within a school. It's not homeschooling, but it's pretty close. Low student-adult ratios are met by requiring parents to be in the classroom at least one hour per week. There is an open, inclusive feel to the community; no grades are given, and the children are mostly allowed to proceed at their own pace. If you must choose a Modesto school for your child, this is the one to choose, hands down. One caveat: The principal runs both campuses. I don't think she really understand the school's purpose, or much of anything, really. I don't trust her, and I don't like her style one bit. And, the character education that the schools force on the children is ridiculous and insipid, having the opposite effect from what's intended.

John Fremont Elementary School
1220 West Orangeburg Avenue, Modesto, CA  95350
Last modified John Fremont Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Fremont Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top