Grace M. Davis High School

Public | 9-12

Posted August 12, 2014

Davis is a wonderful school with supportive faculty, a motivated administration, and a diverse student body. Students are able to collaborate on and off site using their new devices (which is what they will be expected to do in college). The academies and programs offered are amazing-- students get hands on training in public safety or health related fields (while still completing rigorous college preparatory work). Davis is the only MCS school to perform at the Gallo Center (and kids from all over the community have roles, too). Additionally, since Davis is the smallest school, everyone knows one another.

Posted May 22, 2014

My son is junior at Davis and the experience has been a great one. Davis has gotten a bad reputation over the past several years and is frustrating to the students that attend Davis. I have heard it is called the ghetto school. Recently I was speaking to a parent from another school and when I asked her why they call it ghetto she stated because of how many minorities attend Davis; and she is a minority parent. I hope that is not why. We are not a visibly attractive school but we are filled with students, faculty, and parents that are passionate about what we do. I often receive e-mails, text messages, and phone calls from my sons teachers updating me on his progress or letting me know what he needs to work on and quite frankly that does not happen in High School very often and it is very much appreciated.

Posted January 24, 2014

The school would be a 5star back in my day.....since reentering the area, I have heard rumors of "hood" and "down hill" as current descriptors, yet no one sems to state what that's based on. With recent conversation w other parents with kids currently enrolled there and recent programs implemented and to be implemented in fall of '14, I see there is a greater collegiate inspiring presence vs the other schools programs and counsel. I hear one of the counselors at Davis takes kids to tour universities. That's impressive.

Posted August 6, 2013

Grace Davis High School - My daughter is a junior and has been attending this school now for three years. I think it measures up in a standards one would expect from a school. The staff, is very friendly, helpful and as my daughter would say, "awesome". They offer the Health Academy Program, which is beneficial because it provides college credits, and experience in the medical field. I am very happy with this school "Go Spartans"!

Posted March 11, 2013

I believe Davis suffers from a bad reputation. I have been a parent there and my 5 children have no trouble.The perception that the community has is all wrong, we have hard working students and teachers here. If you are a parent YOU ARE NOT going to get mug on campus like some tend to believe. I encourage you to take a visit and get involve!! I been a parent there for the past 10 years and I don't regret it!!

Posted December 13, 2012

I feel that the adminstration and counselors of Davis High School are very professional and caring people. I have been treated with respect and feel that my concerns over my daughter's education have been heard and attended to in a very timely manner. In particular, Mr. Ryan Reynolds addressed my concerns and spent quite a bit of time out of what I am sure is an extremely busy schedule. So thank you staff and adminstration of Grace Davis High School.

Posted October 5, 2011

This school is full of hate and violence. No one gets along here. I am a Jr. at Davis and all 3 years have been bad for me.

Posted February 11, 2010

I am going to have to agree with this parent. I too am a parent of a senior at Davis High and I have ran into the same situation that this parent is expressing. The staff is rude, belittling, and treats you more like a student than a parent. I have already voiced this to one staff member which I feel should have been done and should continue with all parents until they receive the message!! Hope your listening (reading) Davis High staff in the office.

Posted January 30, 2010

Although Grace Davis is not physically the most attractive school in MCS, it is still a good place to learn. It allows students to appreciate what they have, and to not take things for granted. It would be wonderful and maybe a bit more motivating for students if GDHS got a little more TLC. Other than that, I would highly recommend this school to parents.

Posted September 15, 2009

The teachers are very rude and the school is not well kept

Posted June 7, 2008

I am a graduate of Grace davis high school year of 2005. All my siblings attended davis and are happy to have done so. Both my brother and i are award winning chefs and It wouldn't be possible if programs like ag science and home economics weren't available.The sports programs are exellent Just look at 2008 pac-10 mvp Ashley walker. My little sister will be a freshmen and plans to use basketball as a avenue to success. To all the parents complaining, remember the teachers are not there to hold hands they are there to teach. Grace davis high is a great realistic transition to college. there will be no teachers watching your every move calling home every minute. you are there 6 hours learn and retain. Parents have an obligation to teach, train and manage their childrens academic career not drop them off and hope they pay attention.

Posted November 29, 2007

I love Davis High! My two oldest boy's graduated from there and now I have one more son who will be graduating from there. Im very happy with staff and thier dedication in the students.

Posted November 1, 2007

Great school and has an awsome football team!

Posted October 8, 2007

Very disappointed, the administration and the teachers have very poor communication skills. They say they have an open door yet when you come in to sit down and discus your issues they don't want to hear it. I have had nothing but problems with Davis and at this point just hope that my student can graduate with no more drama.

Posted July 22, 2007

I'm not a parent, nor a teacher at Davis high but I am a sophmore at Davis high! Davis offers some of the best classes and sports and yes it might be over crowed and maybe some teachers should be replaced but not all of them and those that dont need to be replaced are great teachers! I started my freshmen year thinking it would be the worst just because of the school but by the end I had realized that Davis was the best choice for me ! The teachers and staff memeber are a lot of help! There are also many programs at Davis that are dedicated to helping students! The help is there for those who want it! Students just need to look for it! -Beatriz R.

Posted June 14, 2007

The quad is terrible, the only reason this school has high test scores is because of the overworked/amazing teachers. The school is badly underfunded, and compares little to enochs high and johansen high.

Posted June 8, 2007

I have never seen a school so out of control with violence and race issues. Some of the teachers have no control in their classrooms,letting other kids disrupt and distract the class. The teacher's don't contact you; just send them to in-school suspension. It's left solely up to the parent to keep up without any help from the teachers. I had more interaction with the Disciple Counselor than the Academic Counselor. I pulled my daughter out of the school. Doing much better now. Horrible conditions for lockers also! Over crowded!

Posted June 4, 2007

My student had entered Davis as a A-B student and is now a C-D student. Every year I have some kind of major problem. In what I have expericanced in our years attending Davis is the teachers just don't care, especially if they are coaching a sport as well as teaching a regular class. I would really re-think it if you are planning on sending your student to Davis.

Posted April 30, 2007

I'm not a parent at this school. I'm a sophomore student. this school is so awesome. yes their are some teachers and other staff members that need to be replaced. but their also are some of the best. I've never cared about school. your my classes. but by mid 9th grade year I came to start really liking school. I had a 1.9 and now I have a 3.1, which I've never had before ever in my live. my teachers make the classes fun and the projects exciting. so I actually do the work. plus the school is crazy fun. if you want your kid to love school they need to be at Davis. yes we are overcrowded. but o well. so much diversity and the most best people ever.

Posted March 10, 2006

Health career academy is an exellent program. The combination of the course materials, mentors, and projects help familiarize students in the field of health.

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

293 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

337 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

226 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

289 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

268 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

291 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

320 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students19%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)54%
Parent education - college graduate78%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate38%
Parent education - declined to state44%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students6%

Parent education - college graduate41%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate47%
Parent education - declined to state62%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

325 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

306 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students70%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 5%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Math specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Drama

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Apply now