Thomas Downey High School 2

Posted June 24, 2013
Recent graduate. Pharm school is cute and everything, but TDHS does not prepare you at all for tracking in to heavy hitting professions like law, medicine, and the more competitive doctorates. I felt vastly unprepared for college compared to my classmates at a prestigious university, and that was despite graduating top of my class at TDHS. Extracurricular programs at the school are underfunded, and in some cases poorly managed. Honestly, I would send you students to most other schools in the city over this one. If you don't believe me or agree with me, ask the administration at the sc hool for a list of where their graduates go for the past 10 years, then compare that with other schools.

Posted January 12, 2012
I will always remember my years at Downey High with fondness and appreciation. I graduated in the top 5% of my senior class and Downey prepared me extremely well for the rigors of college. In fact, college work actually was easier than some of the Advanced Placement class I took at Downey! I now am a successful Clinical Pharmacist and graduated in the top 5 in my class of 120 students at UC San Francisco School Of Pharmacy thanks to the strong eductional framework Downey provided me.

Thomas Downey High School 0

Posted March 28, 2010
I am a former student of TDHS class of 08. I would say that we have the best choir in the valley. The teacher's are really there to teach, and they really love it. You can tell that they are not just there for the pay check. Downey has a lot of school spirit from teacher to staff to alumni. Something you will learn from Downey is unity, we try not to put people in groups but hey it's high school. Once A Knight Always A Knight.

Posted January 28, 2009
Our daughter chose to go to Downey through an intra district transfer. Initially we were preplexed by her decision, however, it was the best decision she could have made. She is now completing her senior year and it is her best yet. The teachers are devoted and hard working. consistanly going beyond the call of duty. The school has a strong sence of tradition and history. She takes pride in her school and we are contiunally impressed with the closeness of the student body. I would strongly reccomend Downey to any parent or student.

Thomas Downey High School 4

Posted December 09, 2008

Posted July 30, 2008

Posted April 15, 2008
Downey is an excellent school. The staff works extra hard to create the best learning environment possible - usually with little or no support from the Modesto City Schools governing board and district administration. My child has had a great four years at Downey.

Posted June 11, 2007
Downey is an incredible school with diverse cultures and highly intellectual teachers.I have only attented one year and already love the atmosphere presented there. Although our grade average is not the highest, our students are the happiest and friendliest around. Out of all the Modesto high schools, I have experienced Downey to be the best because it is welcoming and supportive of all their students.

Posted May 25, 2007

Posted April 27, 2007
My son has attended Downey for 2+ years. I would have to rate this school as a complete failure academically, culturally and socially. The adults in charge are for the most part disrespectful of the students, and do not take any resopnsibility for the negative climate that they allow on the campus. They discipline the students frequently, but never for anything that makes sense or for a good cause. I can't say how disappointed I am in the adult leadership there, and how sorry I am for the students who must endure that emotionally and academically destructive environment.

Thomas Downey High School
1000 Coffee Road, Modesto, CA  95355
Last modified Thomas Downey High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thomas Downey High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top