Modesto, CA
Students enrolled: 1,985

Posted May 04, 2015
Dear Community Member, Your comments about Pharmacy School and Pharm.D. graduates reflect either extreme naivety or extreme ignorance! Pharmacy Schools such as UC San Francisco are as competitive as many U.S. Medical Schools and Law Schools. The acceptance rate for recent entering classes at UCSF Pharmacy School was on the order of 1/20 applicants and entering student GPAs are well above 3.5. I suggest that before so ignorantly dismissing doctoral degree programs such as Pharmacy, please do your research! Current Pharmacy School graduates in California earn starting salaries in the $150,000 per year range and work along side physicians and other members of the medical care team in such areas as Diabetes Care, Congestive Heart Failure, Anticoagulant Therapy, Medication Therapy, and Primary Care to name but a few. In the future, Pharmacists will be called upon to increase their involvement in direct patient care with their drug therapy expertise. And, Thomas Downey High definitely prepared me to excel in my chosen profession of Pharmacy.

Thomas Downey High School 2

Posted June 24, 2013
Recent graduate. Pharm school is cute and everything, but TDHS does not prepare you at all for tracking in to heavy hitting professions like law, medicine, and the more competitive doctorates. I felt vastly unprepared for college compared to my classmates at a prestigious university, and that was despite graduating top of my class at TDHS. Extracurricular programs at the school are underfunded, and in some cases poorly managed. Honestly, I would send you students to most other schools in the city over this one. If you don't believe me or agree with me, ask the administration at the sc hool for a list of where their graduates go for the past 10 years, then compare that with other schools.

Thomas Downey High School

Posted March 28, 2010
I am a former student of TDHS class of 08. I would say that we have the best choir in the valley. The teacher's are really there to teach, and they really love it. You can tell that they are not just there for the pay check. Downey has a lot of school spirit from teacher to staff to alumni. Something you will learn from Downey is unity, we try not to put people in groups but hey it's high school. Once A Knight Always A Knight.

Posted January 28, 2009
Our daughter chose to go to Downey through an intra district transfer. Initially we were preplexed by her decision, however, it was the best decision she could have made. She is now completing her senior year and it is her best yet. The teachers are devoted and hard working. consistanly going beyond the call of duty. The school has a strong sence of tradition and history. She takes pride in her school and we are contiunally impressed with the closeness of the student body. I would strongly reccomend Downey to any parent or student.

Posted April 15, 2008
Downey is an excellent school. The staff works extra hard to create the best learning environment possible - usually with little or no support from the Modesto City Schools governing board and district administration. My child has had a great four years at Downey.

Posted June 11, 2007
Downey is an incredible school with diverse cultures and highly intellectual teachers.I have only attented one year and already love the atmosphere presented there. Although our grade average is not the highest, our students are the happiest and friendliest around. Out of all the Modesto high schools, I have experienced Downey to be the best because it is welcoming and supportive of all their students.

Posted April 27, 2007
My son has attended Downey for 2+ years. I would have to rate this school as a complete failure academically, culturally and socially. The adults in charge are for the most part disrespectful of the students, and do not take any resopnsibility for the negative climate that they allow on the campus. They discipline the students frequently, but never for anything that makes sense or for a good cause. I can't say how disappointed I am in the adult leadership there, and how sorry I am for the students who must endure that emotionally and academically destructive environment.

Posted January 05, 2007
As a parent I am very disappointed about Downey. I feel that a lot of the staff are more concerned with what the feel is the loss of power. In my personal opinion they do not see children as people.

Thomas Downey High School 4

Posted October 24, 2006
Downey is great for choir! and the performing arts...that's what its all about!

Posted October 08, 2006
Don't be fooled by all these fluffy comments. The truth is that Downey does not prepare students for college. The only good teachers have lef. I graduated top 10% of my class at Downey and was use to receiving only good grades. However, when I attended a prestigious university, it seemed as though I was the only student who had not been prepared for college. Thus, I had to learn how to write all over again. In addition, social life at Downey is horrible, too. Honestly, I would never let my children attend this school if I were a parent.

Thomas Downey High School
1000 Coffee Road, Modesto, CA  95355
Last modified Thomas Downey High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thomas Downey High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top