Modesto, CA
Students enrolled: 1,833

Posted March 01, 2009
Unlike the previous poster, I've always had great response from Johansen teachers when I've emailed them -- I usually get a response within an hour and always within the same day. However, I agree that teachers should all use SchoolCenter so parents and students can easily check their grades, and unfortunately only a few teachers use it.

Posted February 28, 2009
Johansen high school is horrible!! for the last three years I have been trying to contact teachers through their e-mails, and 'server not available' has always come up. I actually drop mail off at the school, and it takes 5 days for a teacher to get back to me!! Teenagers dom't always want to talk to their parents, so I was looking forward to The school center feature to keep me informed about assignments due. AWhat a joke!!! Not one of the teachers have entered anything in that space since october, and that was one teacher, on one day. It is ridiculos!

Posted August 25, 2008
My daughter changed ever since she's been going to this school. Not in a good way but in a bad way. The staff there have no clue whatsoever on what is going on between students and their peers. This automatically shows how irresponsible it is. I certaintly do not recommend anyone to this school.

Posted May 02, 2007
My daughter is a Sophomore this school year (06-07). I would have to say that she has shown tremendous growth since her Freshman year. The staff has contributed to her success in many ways. They have dedicated after school hours, one-on-one tutoring, participated in parent conferences, and are constantly encouraging success in her education. The academic programs are great and there are many extracurricular activities for student involvement. When parents become involved, the school becomes a better place as I have experienced at JHS. Go Vikings!

Posted February 27, 2006
This was a great school- great music program, many sports (olympic size pool), and wonderful teachers. A GATE program for advanced students as well as special ed program.

Peter Johansen High School 3

Posted January 12, 2006
My son has been there for 2 years now and his grades are impressive compared to middle school. I do feel however that the sports coaches are a little on the discriminative side. They just need to give all of the team a chance, since that is what it is a team!

Peter Johansen High School 5

Posted March 09, 2005
Even Though Johansen is in a very good location in Modesto, I think that it has one of the worst gang problems in Modesto. There are so many diffrent gangs trying to claim Johansen and so many diffrent types of people who go there that they fight each other all of the time. But besides that the teachers are good. Most of them are really to the students. They will tell you how it is. Johansen has a lot of good opt. for the students. Many diffrent programs to choose from. You can go far from a school like this one if you don't get cought up in all of the stupid gang mess.

Peter Johansen High School 5

Posted March 18, 2004
Johansen school has been a great experience. The school appreciates parent involvement. They take very seriously the safety and comfort of my son. They are very helpful and understanding of any problems, going out of their way to be there with help and suggestions. They focus on positive encouragement rather than negative threats, thereby setting kids up for success rather than failure. The teachers are all high quality and the administration is top notch. I couldn't ask for more. Thank you Johansen. SG

Posted December 28, 2003
I'm a Senior at Johansen High School and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The AP classes and teachers really get involved and have a real connection with the students. I love my school!

Posted November 14, 2003
I have 3 children that have attended JHS. All three different and unique. #1 male child, great attitude, did the work and achieved his goals. #2 male child, poor attitude, seems to care less about his future, makes little or no effort. #3 female child, good attitude, honest effort, struggles with her 'friends' peer pressure. I have contact and involvement with each of their teacher's. All but one teacher have been a sourse of encouragement and help. On any level of help or encouragement, the teachers are available. I have utilized the e-mail directory for each, and all have responed within 6 hours. I'm impressed. My only big concern is the dress standard for girls that is allowed. Many of these girls are wearing as little as possible. my #2 child states that it is better than looking at a Victoria Secrets catalog. Good luck to the rest of you. I believe that our children ultimately own their failures and their accomplishments.

641 Norseman Drive, Modesto, CA  95357
Last modified Peter Johansen High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Peter Johansen High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top