Bad
Good

Mayflower is more than a great school. They have amazing teachers and a great principal. There test scores are high.

Its very organized ann the teachers seems very nice with the kids. Also the principal is very participating with all

Great school and wonderful people. The average per classroom is incorrect. The typical classroom holds AT LEAST 30 students and they rely heavily on volunteers. The school is also very focused on teach to test, which unfortunately is becoming the new reality within primary and secondary education in the US. The Principal is less than desirable and perhaps could be described as unemotional and disengaged as far as embracing the local and school communities. She was given the benefit of the doubt when she first arrived, but there seems to be no compassion and almost gives off an aura of negativity towards parents who want to be part of their children's educations as opposed to non-involvement. Being a principal is not an easy job and takes dedication, effective communication, and commitment. It is difficult to recognize these traits when the principal's presence around campus is sometimes non-existent. Overall a wonderful school and some really wonderful programs for student involvement.

I attended this school many years ago, as did my mother and many other members of my family. I was excited to have my son attend and continue the tradition. However, the attitude of the principal and office staff made that impossible. Even my son's teacher was rude and unhelpful. As a transfer student, my son was placed in a combination class. When I approached the principal to find out how the class would work and if he could be switched, I was met with indignation! When I approached the teacher, she responded with "I'll explain at back to school night." That was a month away! Why would no one talk to me? I ended up eventually transferring him to Royal Oaks in Duarte(A fabulous school!). The next day I received a call from the Mayflower office to tell me that a space in the regular class had opened up. (This only happened after is told them I was transferring my son. How mysterious!) The tone set by the principal and office staff is one of superiority. It was unacceptable. I am sad that my son will not be attending the school I did, but I am very happy with his new school. Also, it made me realize not all schools are as difficult to deal with as Mayflower.

Mayflower is overall a good school, for a public school. Most of the teachers are caring and thoughtful, but are limited by the structure of "team teaching" with other teachers in their grade and all doing the same curriculum, large class sizes and the pressure to "teach to the test" in order to reach certain standards and not lose funding. The result is curriculum that is often uncreative and students who are often bored and unengaged. The new principal does seem like she wants to improve things at Mayflower, but seems to make many parents feel that she is not a partner with them but instead set on her own agenda. The PTA is wonderfully strong and many parents are involved with helping out in the classrooms as well. It is a nice neighborhood school.

Mayflower Elementary School located in Monrovia, CA is a school to be very proud to be a part of as student, parent, teachers, and staff. The communication and connection between teacher and parent is very professional and responsive. I would like to see more classes and teachers for all Monrovia schools of all grade levels which are badly needed to enable less crowded space and better teacher/student ratio. Proud Monrovia Schools Parent and grandmother, L. C.

At the beginning of Kindergarten last school year we were so happy with the school. However, as we are moving through the second year at the school we find that the education and school society is not as good. The new principal, of one year, is so focused on the money that the school receives and the policies that are associated with it that it seems the focus on what happens in the classroom and with the actual learning is secondary, with the exception of her focus on timed tests and fact memorization. Her priority is clearly to have high test results but it seems that the actual learning that could be associated with the test scores is secondary. My child is defiantly learning to parrot answers- I am just not sure that I wanted him to become a pet I would not recommend this school.

Both of my children attended Mayflower and had a great experience! The staff is outstanding! Parent involvement is amazing! There is something for everyone!

With the exception of his first grade teacher, we have been happy with all of the teachers at Mayflower. Parental involvement is good. Overall, we're happy with the school.

We have a great neighborhood school, with parents and kids who truly care about their campus. Our principal and his staff are all dedicated to those who work and learn there, it's clear they recognize the importance of our kids early years. They promote the love of learning in nearly everything they do.

Last modified Mayflower Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.