Monrovia High School

Public | 9-12 | 1711 students

Posted June 29, 2014

I have two children at MHS. Overall, the teachers are excellent, and I find that the staff is very responsive and easy to work with when I have had issues/concerns that need to be addressed. The school does a phone blast every week so the families know up and coming events, deadlines etc and Schooloop sends me an update DAILY at 5:00 PM so I know if my children are missing assignments or if they have important tests coming up. I attended a parent evening/community evening and I was just blown away at the work the school is doing with social services, Monrovia Police Department, and other groups to make our town a great place to grow up in. A few years back there were some real tragedies with teens at MHS, and the school did some real soul searching and they have really worked hard to make the school a place where students feel safe and welcomed. Just as in any school, you DO need to be involved and on top of things. Working with the school as a team makes all the difference. For those students who do not have a good foundation, I recommend that ALL teachers work with a positive behavior support plan. ALL students, even the goofballs, need the best we can give them.

Posted May 21, 2014

New math teachers are great. Glad to see the reboot of AP Statistics. Some older teachers need to go, the ones that fail almost their entire classes. Very football centric school, and a clean place mostly free of issues. 1/2 the people are smart and aim toward college, another 1/4 are average and will work or go to college, and 1/4 we hope get football scholarships or just leave. A nice overall place though masa is mostly a sham(glorified field trip program)

Posted February 14, 2014

This school is average at best. As a parent I find some teachers want all students to learn and several do not. Many teachers lecture every lesson, everyday. My son finds several of his classes boring and tedious. The teachers that interact with him are the ones he loves best but that is only 2 out of 6. I expected more. There seems to be a lot of disorganization in the administrative office and the counseling office. It takes forever to speak to someone and get help for your child. Even when I do get through to someone no one does anything about the problems and they just get worse. There is a new principal and many new administrators in the district and it appears there is no vision or direction for the school. My son is often confused about who to go to and is sent to three different offices with no help. The school seems to have a negative vibe to it this year that was not there before. I am a newer parent and attend different meetings for my son and parent participation is poor. However, so is the communication to parents. I'm hoping a strong leader helps steer the school in the new common core or I'll probably have to move my son out.

Posted November 13, 2013

This is a public High School, grades 9-12, located in Monrovia California. The school offers a full range of academic classes along with afterschool programs, video production, interleague varsity and JV sports, performing arts, and ROP. They also offer an excellent honors Math and Science Academy Program.

Posted August 1, 2013

we started with MH last year, and we had a good year. No problems. and some of the Teachers were very encouraging to my daughter.

Posted April 26, 2010

My child is a part of the new Math and Science Academy at MHS. I have been extremely pleased with the quality of his education. The pre-AP and honors classes he has taken have been excellent. The guest speaker series for the Math and Science Academy has been excellent with speakers from JPL, industry, and academics sharing their scientific career paths. The band program is excellent. The school has been improving and it appears that it will continue to do so in the future.

Posted January 27, 2009

As a senior at Monrovia High, I have mixed feelings about my time here. Outside of AP classes, the regular classes at MHS are dumbed down to a level that fails to challenge gifted students. I find that teachers at our school are mixed, you will find some outstanding ones and some horrible teachers. Athletic facilities at our school are outdated, but they are currently undergoing construction with the passage of a new bond plan.

Posted November 3, 2008

Monrovia High School is the absolute best! Even though its kind of boring at lunch the academic classes and just every class overall is GREAT! I know these 4 years are SO going to be worth it. The teachers are really easy to get along whereas the students aren't but you'll learn to cope trust me<<<<-----its a good school way better than any other schools. [:

Posted September 8, 2008

I have just started Monrovia High School, and already I know it is going to be a great experience. The band program is getting better and I'm happy to be a part of it. :]

Posted May 16, 2008

I must say honestly that Monrovia High School is great. The staff does interact with the students and the atmosphere is very positive and laid-back. I am going to graduate from MHS on June 11,2008 and I am proud to represent such a great school!

Posted January 28, 2008

Ridiculous administation. Parents must contact councelors to get their attention or else they rarely see the students.

Posted January 8, 2008

All three of my children have attended MHS. Overall it has been an unsatisfactory experience. The counselors, up until this year have never paid any attention. And we have always tried to be 'in touch' with the staff. I must say, I am happy that this will be our last year. Aside from a handful of teachers and the same of the office staff, it would be terrific for future students to have a revamped staff.

Posted July 5, 2007

As a graduate of MHS, I must say that it is a great school to attend. Though the Academic Curriculum may be shallow and lacking college level challenges, there is so much to learn about life at MHS. The key to making Monrovia High School work for you is to get involved. There are so many different things to do outside of education and sports, and perhaps most importantly, the diversity of people and cultures teaches a student tolerance and they learn about other cultures through the schools Cultural Diversity programs and assemblies. MHS is great school for any student who wants to live life and for any parent who wants their child not only to learn educationally but to also learn valuable life skills. -Darryl

Posted May 31, 2007

Monrovia High has quite a bit to improve on...It needs a fresh new group of energetic teachers which would be a great asset to the students as well as the parents. I have three students attending and we are considering relocating. Not satisfied.

Posted March 23, 2006

This school has been great for my child, helpful staff and friendly teachers. Great band director and booster club.

Posted January 13, 2006

I am a student of Monrovia High, and overall I have had a great experience. I find there to be a diversity of activities, people, and elective courses at MHS; I have had a handful of highly motivational teachers during my four years; I have always felt safe and comfortable on the beautiful campus; and I have taken part in one of the best video production and drama departments in the area. My biggest complaint is that I feel academically unchallenged in most of the regular courses, and find the Advanced Placement courses to be less that college level. Ultimately however, it is more of an issue of the shallow state-curriculum and lack of parental support; I don't blame Monrovia teachers completely. Ultimately if I had a child, I would send them to Monrovia.

Posted December 27, 2005

Monrovia could improve their academic programs and parent follow up. I found that once I started an inquiry about my child, the administrators initially reacted, but then follow up slacks off. Extracurricular activities are about average. Parent involvement is a positive aspect of the school. Most events are well attended and the community is also involved with each school.

Posted October 21, 2005

Monrovia High School currently lacks a effective math and science program, and requires only 2 years of math and science. Additionally, my son complains about the lack of academic programs, and has displayed outrage about the how teacher is giving 6th grade work. Parent involovement is quite low, and most parents are not aware about their child's teachers. Overall, I am very disappointed about this school, and I plan to send my child to private school next year.

Posted July 22, 2005

Few academic programs. Small availability of any arts or sciences programs. Programs heavily fun sports. Parent involvement adequate.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 28, 2004

This school is wonderful. Nestled in the foothills of Monrovia is my high school alma mater. Monrovia high school is absolutely wonderful. They have a aquatic team, and outstanding softball, baseball and track team, not to mention a fabulous chior. The athletics are great, but the teachers are what make Monrovia High School stand out. The current staff are all residents of the San Gabriel valley and some of the new and younger staff are even former students who can related to the teen-agers of today. If your looking for a down home old fashion school to have your child go to and your a very involved parent who enjoys being a participant in your child's learning and athletic abilities this is the school for you!
—Submitted by a former student

(2012)

7 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

200 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

465 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

171 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

223 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

440 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

438 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

438 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

363 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

363 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students19%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)73%
Parent education - college graduate85%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate80%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)73%
Parent education - college graduate84%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate83%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

459 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

456 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students85%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Kirk McGinnis
Fax number
  • (626) 471-2810

• Computer lab

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

845 West Colorado Boulevard