Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal School

Private | K-8

Living in Montebello

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $310,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,310.

Sweep tile

Posted November 4, 2013

My child is currently attending OLMM. I am very happy with this school. I attending st. Benedict's and wanted a different experience for my child. OLMMs principal sets a caring and religious tone to her school. I enjoy family day with gourmet food trucks visiting the school, weekend pumpkin patch, saints day, international day (where every grade represents a different country) and many extra school events. This school does require parent involvement which is great. There Are parent meetings to have your voice heard if you do have any concerns. I love this school and I'm very pleased with my child developing into a well-rounded student.

Posted September 21, 2013

I have two children. One has graduated from OLMM and the other is still attending the school. I have had no problems with the school. I was concerned about how my older child (straight A student) would do in high school, but so far he is doing great. He is attending a very good public school in a nearby community which is known to be strong academically. My younger child is doing just as well. I believe some parents would just like to look at the school as being defective rather than believing it may be a problem with the child. I have a teacher in the family (in a public school) and hear this is sometimes the case. As far as staff is concerned, I feel "you reap what you sow". If you treat people with respect you usually receive it back. I have not had any bullying problems but that would be a deal breaker for me. I think it is funny when you read one review that says the school is not strong academically and another says their child gets too much homework. I am sure there are better schools and I am sure there are worse, but I think your child can receive a great education at OLMM if you are involved and supportive, which is after all the job of being a parent.

Posted September 13, 2013

Academically, below average. Does not offer advance math and science classes. No parent association and rampant favoritism.

Posted September 3, 2013

Im a former student of this school. THIS SCHOOL IS AWFUL!!! I was bullied unmercilessly and even after repeated reports to the principal she did nothing to help me with the the problem. At this school i was in accelerated algebra and accelerated english. Upon entering high school i realized i was not at all ready for the curriculum, this school did not throughly prepare me for high school. Not to mention the drama the principal has gotten into and hiring her friends who are incompetent. If you are thinking of sending your kid here PLEASE! Reconsider a more helpful and family oriented school that is not in it for the money.

Posted April 13, 2013

I went to school here and thought about taking my son here because all my family went here. I was welcomed very nicely with the office staff who I remember when I attended. I thought perfect. This is for my son too. He'll walk the same footsteps like myself down the halls. Very exciting moment. But then I saw the principal who used to be my math teacher. Who put me down as if I couldn't accomplish anything. At our beach trip she yelled at one of the other teachers with obscene language in front of everyone. Now that I'm older I found that very immature. You can't like everyone at a school but I saw other parents regretting taking their child there but didn't want to take them out because they already made their friends. I go to their carnivals and other festivities to support my parish and it just doesn't seem the same. It seems like every parent there is unhappy and miserable. When I remember it, parents had fun and looked forward to it. I still hear stories of how much fun they USED TO have. I do not recommend this school. Unless you like to brown nose and maybe take the teachers treats and gifts to get on their good side. by all means. do it.

Posted October 17, 2012

I'm a parent of 3 kids from 8th- 4th grade. This is their second year attending this school and I couldn't be happier. My children have not experienced any problems. As Far as teacher's they've been great, when my son entered that school he was struggle in math he couldn't keep up the upper grade math teacher realized it and right away made arrangements on how the school could help and they did. The principal has been nothing but kind to me and my family. I am extremely greatful to her she opened her school doors when two others wouldn't since my income was low they wouldn't offer much assistance. I would like to clarify I'am not a staff member, nor personal friend of the principal.

Posted August 29, 2012

School is great, sisters of charity always helping. My family is realy thankful to the school staf.my kids love it !!

Posted August 5, 2012

This school has a HUGE bullying problem and has been so for at least the past 6 years. And no wonder, it starts with the principal, who has a bad disposition, and ends up wit the teachers, especially the male upper class math teacher who berates and screams at the kids. Ask any one of them, they'll tell you they're afraid of him. The principal refuses to do anything because he is a friend of hers. They talk about christian family values; but they load the kids with so much homework that there is no family time in the evening. Supervision is sorely lacking, decision making by the administration is illogical at best. Don't send your kids here. Thank God my kids are out. The five rating are obviously planted by the staff or those "chosen" parents". Just look at the number of bad reviews.

Posted May 30, 2012

I have children there as well and I think the school is great for what you pay for. As far as kids getting bullied, well I think your child must march directly to the office and they WONT stand for that. As far as the principal, she is doing a great job, what else do you want her to do. She's running the school and dealing with over 400 kids plus their parents...a lot of different personalities..if some of you feel she is unapproachable, then set-up a meeting with her, I have.. and guess what it works. I know sometimes it might be overwhelming as far as volunteering your time and everything they ask for...all schools are like that now due to the economy. You may say this lady is crazy she probably doesn't work..well guess what I work full time and have a profession and children and commute over an hour. So life is grand we must deal with it on a daily basis, leave the teaching and running the school to the principal and her staff. If we have concerns, they have meetings, I've been there and I've not heard one person get up to speak. The office staff IS friendly remember..you have kids, parents ect...wanting to talk to one person. Give them a break.

Posted March 13, 2012

I completly agree with this last review. The five star rating does seem planted obviously by an "alumni parent", (probably a friend of the Principal) whose child is most likely being given preference over other children and feels empowered enough to BULLY other children that are in fact, "Well rounded" . It seems that no one cares about what is happening in this school and that the Daughters of Charity are being ill informed. HOW SAD.

Posted March 7, 2012

I read a review 2 days ago and it was taken down. It wasn't obscene. The person just didn't have anything nice to say about the principal. The day it was taken down it was replaced by a 5 star review. No one likes a bad review but we rely on these websites to find honest opinions about the schools we are researching. And we are smart enough to look past a personal issue and not conclude it is a true reflection of the school. I would hate to think that this website has lost its credibility by taking down a bad review. And just my opinion, the new 5 star review looks like a plant. When I read "office staff are friendly and helpful..." seriously??? Full disclosure, I'm not a fan of the principal. But when the Daughters of Charity are not listening, this is the only place we have to warn other parents.

Posted March 6, 2012

I currrently have 3 children attending OLMM and one future viking soon to be enter preschool. We are very satisfied with the school, acedemically and socially. We transferred from another school 3 years ago and I am so grateful for finding this school. As a working parent, I am still very much involved in the schools events. I have not had any difficulty communicating with teachers either personally or through email. I find the principal to be social and involved with the students and genuinly cares about the well being of the school and students. The principal and many teachers are alumni and of course they strive to provide a positive teaching environment. Full time nurse is a big plus, office staff are friendly and helpful. My children have not been left hungry if they forget their lunch, the cafeteria personnel provides them food (I get charged for it but thats fine). As far as the teacher/student ratio, its no different than most public schools, although teachers aids are provided. Do public schools have teachers aids? Music, computer and PE depts are also +++!

Posted February 3, 2012

My children attended OLMM and my husband and I were very involved in the school but when my child began to get bullied neither the teachers nor the principal did anything to help us. My child began to suffer academically and even then the principal did nothing. I had to pull my children out of the school to save them. This school needs a new principal ASAP.

Posted July 15, 2011

I give this school one star less than Excellent...not because I think it doesn't deserve 5 stars but because there is always room for improvement at any school. I really like this school. My child just started a few years ago and so far it's been a great experience. She's been a great student academically and is very happy there. The teachers are more than qualified to teach and are friendly. I've noticed that some reviews give the Principal a bad rating, but frankly I have not encountered any problems with her. She seems very friendly, involved, and very caring of the students. And for those who wrote that any public school in the area provides a better education than a private education at OLMM are ill-informed. Unless, you are willing to send your child to another city (ex. in Beverly Hills, Westwood, etc.), public schools in and around this area, at this moment with all the budget cuts, provide nothing more than a sub-par education. I would definitely recomemend this school to others.

Posted June 4, 2011

i have been struggling with this school for 2 years now, but i think i am at the end of my rope. i have had too many teacher issues with one son which i have overlooked/diminished for which i feel guilty. Now it started with the younger one-his teacher seeming to not care as she did so much before; my star student acting up, saying he is bored. There is something going on at OLMM. Too many stories to tell - i will say i have now heard 2-3 awful stories about serious issues needing attention and the principal refusing to meet with parents???

Posted May 12, 2011

My main reason for taking my children out of this school was the concern of the overall quality of education. We were happy with their current teachers but I wasn't having that same confidence with some other grades. The large class sizes were an issue. Not the fault of the teacher but inevitably there was a lot of waiting. Waiting in line. Waiting for the class to get settled. My children no longer complain about being bored. The lunch offered was good quality food but there were lots of mistakes. At $4.50 a day, I want my kid to get what we ordered. Can you imagine going from 8 to 3pm and only having a snack? Obtaining information about anything was painful. The school's clubs, enrichment programs, teacher credentials, etc. - these are basic "pamphlet" questions from any concerned parent. We enrolled although we didn't have our questions answered. It had to be a good school. All our friends were there. It was our parish. And then we found out no one else was happy. Everyone was looking to leave. Or felt trapped because their child was a year or two from graduation. If you just want to drop off your kids and "not worry about it", this is the place.

Posted April 20, 2011

This is my child's second yr. and is now in the 4th grade. I love this school. We left a school that had too many half days, unhealthy lunches, tired teachers, and popularity was important to parents. At OLMM, they rarely have half days, they have on site cook, friendly knowledgeable teachers, and full time nurse that does not double as a secretary. It is obvious that academics are important here rather then cheer leading. Their fund raising is for school improvement. They have new computers, smart boards, modern desks, and field trips.

Posted September 24, 2010

I am a parent of 2 children in the school and I am very pleased. I am a very involved parent too. I have only good things to say about the principal and teachers and staff. This school seems to really care about education and morals. I highly recommend it.

Posted August 6, 2010

I would not recommend this school. The student/teacher ratio is ridiculous. They have sacrificed the quality of learning by accepting too many kids per class. They only look at childrens performance as an average of the entire school. I agree the prinicipal shows not interest if you have a concern. I feel that I literally home schooled my child the entire year. Needless to say, my child will not be attending next year.

Posted April 23, 2010

This school is a big disappointment. The Principle is not interested in the students. I agree she is in way over her head. The school has lost several students over the last few months & it is not due to financial reasons. I have wasted not only about $20K in tuition, my children are behind academically. Public schools offer more. Do not be fooled by what they preach.

Ethnicity This school
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Black 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

840 North Garfield Avenue