No rating

Cantwellsacred Heart of Mary High School

Private | 9-12 | 563 students

Living in Montebello

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $310,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,310.

Posted June 5, 2013

Cantwell is more concerned about money than they are about the childs education. The school needs a change of leadership. The principal and staff have been running this school for decades and seem closed minded to new ideas. Some of them are graduates of Cantwell. Exams are scheduled around the tuition due dates and if payments are late the child cannot take finals or mid term exams. My child is in advanced placement classes. In a public school she would not be forced to stay home and make up missed work because of late tuition payments. The also deny the child if parents are late with fund raising payments such as candy sales and rafle tickets.

Posted November 24, 2009

As an alumni of Cantwell High school I can certainly attest that the quality of education I received was excellent. The life lessons have given me a true understanding of what it means to be successful in my personal and professional life. This school is not for the light minded, you either make the cut or you don't. If you desire excellence then this is the place to be. RMSpalka MS, MFT-I

Posted May 6, 2009

My daughter graduated from Cantwell last year and is now attending one of the US universities. I cannot find words to express my thanks to CSHM. The rare and exceptional way the Principal Mr. Chambers and his staff work with parents and students is incredialbe. There ability to motivate students academicly, personaly and spritually is well worth the investment parents make to this school. During my four years I never lost hope or felt I could not communicate about my child's education, future and well being. A special thanks to Mrs. Surgie the vice pricipal and all the staff at CSHM. You are what motivates us as parents to trust you with the generation of tomorrow. God Bless you all.

Posted September 3, 2008

My child in a sophomore at CSHM. And I only have positive things to say about the school. I have never had a problem with communication with the teachers. I able to check on my child's progress online and know how he is doing. I don't understand how the parent can say that their is not communication with the parents when in fact there multiple ways to know how your child is doing. As a parent, it is my responsibitity to know how my son is doing not the teachers. As a parent, I need to get involved every step of the way to know how he is doing and have that open communication with the teachers. It is my responsibility. I have found that through emais, phone calls, online grading and tri-term report cards that I am well informed on my childs academic status. I disagree with the last two

Posted August 7, 2008

I have to disagree with all comments, first of all there is no communication with parents, the quality of teaching is low, school staff have no customer service. I am looking forward to see a new change for the sake of our children education.

Posted May 28, 2008

This school presents itself as one that cares for its student community, but in reality I find it questionable. My child was there only one year, and I found the school to be irresponsible in not communicating with me in regard to my child's grades. The computer program is not used by all staff, so the data is not always current nor are the teachers accessible. Too many of my child's schoolmates left Cantwell during the year after having been on probation/gradecheck. It's a sink or swim mentality, the school does not really follow up on your child's progress and does not have programs to assist those students that may otherwise just need a little guidance or honing of study skills. I was very disappointed to see my child's grades suffer without any partnership offered by the school. I expected much more from this school.

Posted January 15, 2008

I have only positive things to say about the school. They really care about the whole person. Teachers take time out of their busy day to tutor during lunch, break and afterschool. Students are not allowed to fall through the cracks at this school they are constantly monitored on their academic progress. If a student does not do their homework the school wants to know. There are consequences for not doing homework. Although students may not like it, as a parent I believe that it is important that students be held accountable for their actions both academically and disciplinary.

Posted August 2, 2007

I love this school. My nephew was a student there and loved it. The academics, sports, and overall environment are excellent. I paid for his tuition and it has been more than worth it. He was accepted to a major university and was very well prepared. I would recommend this school to anyone who is interested in a safe, academically excellent high school.

Posted June 18, 2007

Great school, great faculty. If you care about your childs education, this is the place to send them.

Posted November 20, 2006

The quality of this school is really good because the principle and the faculty work really hard to make the school lead in america.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 29, 2006

I have two daughters who attend Cantwell-Sacred Heart and I can say that my daughters love the school. I graduated from Sacred Heart of Mary in 1978 and feel just as welcomed as I did back then. The emphasis put on the students studying and homework is outstanding. Everyone in the faculty including the front office staff are helpful and most important are interested in the educational welfare of the students. Concerning the food, my girls love the homemade food that is provided to them each day. I look forward to sending my youngest daughter to this school. My husband and I are very happy with the school.

Posted May 9, 2004

This is the worst school anyone can go to there are no A/C, the principal chambers is never there all they care abut is money they always trying to find a new way for us to pay for something. The food there is nasty, full of grease I found the food to be horribl cooked by zaven I found hairs in my food lettuse that looks old. I would recommend no other person would come here its the worse school ever!
—Submitted by a student

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mr. David Chambers
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

329 North Garfield Avenue