Bad
Good

My daughter had a terrible elementary experience with staff teachers including the principal. She always came home crying with stress telling me staff and teacher where mean to her. She told me the worse was when the teachers made them run so many laps around the field that her legs would hurt the next day. This was done if they were misbehaving in any way daily.The teachers told the kids all year how great a last day of school pool party was, only to be held against them, especially the last weeks that she is not going each time they felt it was useful tactic for discipline. My daughter had never had any problems with any the teachers of any other school and never came home crying as much as she did with this school. I am only putting this rating up for other parents to know and hopefully we have enough people coming forward and rate the school we can give a children a voice through the parents.

I am a parent with my 3rd child now in his last year at BVE. My other two (now in High School) attended BVE and it was the best experience of public elementary school my children could have experienced. With my 3rd child, we experienced only one 'sketchy' year and it truly was the teacher, not the school. I just had to keep on top of it, to make sure the year remained positive. The Principal's ONLY focus is running the school. This can be perceived as a positive thing, but a little more connection with the parent community would be great. She literally looks right through you in the event you meet with her to touch on a concern. She began with her term here with the 'If you don't like it, let me get the door for you' attitude. It has since subsided, but only a bit. GREAT teachers!

I give BVE an A-. Pros: 'dedicated' content knowledgable teachers; K-5; friendly staff; safety/security; strong leadership; new ELO afterschool program; GATE. BVE has had 4 or 5 principles in the past 5 years and exceeded or placed honarable on state testing (API). Therefore, for a school to go through so many administrators in a short timeslot, in my opinion, speaks loudly that BVE has a rock solid foundation and incredible potential. Cons: Safety/Security is a top priority at BVE and improves with each incoming manager, but I am dissapointed to see no permanant solution to address the 'possible' accident prone intersection behind BVE on Markland/Via which has no stop signs or assighned crossing guards. We, (city, parents, BVE) should be held accountable and liable if an accident were to take place. Second, increase parent involvement. Last, 'flexible' evening meeting times for working parents and continue to address traffic patterns around BVE.

Both my daughters attended BVE. My eldest daughter did wonderfully at this school. If your child is a gate child then you are in great luck but if you have a special needs child forget it! Teachers individually are good but have no idea how to work as a team. This is why there is no consistency and no raising of test scores. The support staff is condenscending and rude to adults and students. I find this to be unacceptable. I do see the current principal working hard to make this school better. I wish her much success!

Last modified Bella Vista Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.