Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)

Our family has a long history in Monterey Bay and our daughter is the sixth generation from our area. We are very grateful to BSCS and are thrilled with the Monterey campus. The school is well run, safe and balances a stellar academic curriculum with important programs such as art and music. We are very happy with the staff and teachers. From the school Director, to the teachers and secretary all are professional, kind and focused on children. Students are held accountable for leaning with monthly parent teacher conferences. The school has an AMAZING coastal stewardship program. So much to offer, including tennis lessons and music. I feel that the parents and staff are all focused on giving the best education possible to each and every child. Ms. Aimee the fourth/fifth grade teacher and school resource teacher is a gifted educator. As a public charter school it is tuition free and offers what only the very best private schools could only dream of offering. A true gem of a school on the beautiful Monterey Peninsula. Over time, I believe this school will have a very long waiting list as their philosophy and structure is based on the core principles that parents want for their child's education. Thank you BSCS for offering a strong and balanced program in such a safe and nurturing atmosphere.

I always liked the idea of homeschooling, but since my daughter is an ESL student, I thought it isn’t an option for us. When I heard about BSCS I decided to give it a try. So far I am happy with my decision. BSCS gives my daughter an opportunity to socialize and learn English in a very warm and supportive environment. We both enjoy weekly music lessons (parents and siblings are welcome to join in) and nature walks with Coastal Stewardship. BSCS provides curriculum and materials and are ready to answer any questions we might have. Some people complain about organization. Yes, there was a little chaos in the beginning of the academic year, but I think it was due to the fact that the school is small and has a small staff. But because of its small size, it also feels like home here. There are only 13 kids in my daughter's class (she is in Kindergarten). Another thing I like is that with BSCS i am able to easily combine common core curriculum with the curriculum used in my home country. My daughter gets to learn them both and we still have time left for fun and extracurriculars. I recommend BSCS to families looking for an alternative to full-time homeschooling.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Being fair doesn't mean everyone gets their own way. Being fair means just that being fair ! I believe this school to have integrity , honesty , and a good sense of what it means to raise a child it takes a community !

We have been here for two years , it fits all of our needs. It feels like family and you really can't find this kind of parent teacher combination anywhere else. I was in the education field for over 20 years , so I hand picked it. It met our expectations and beyond. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Wow! My child has learned so much from her classroom teacher, her ocean stewardship teacher and the enrichment educators. What a joy it has been to watch her knowledge grow!

Develops character: Strongly agree

In my experience the teachers endeavor to instill and model integrity and to cultivate honest interactions between students.

Finding the right educational experience for your child can really be a challenge. This is my child's second year at Big Sur Charter School, Monterey campus. I am grateful to have found a program that meets my family's needs. While my daughter is attending classes at Big Sur, I am confident that her teacher is looking out for her, and her peer's, academic and emotional well being. I am grateful for the monthly one-on-one meetings with my daughter's classroom educator. It is a time to review my daughter's academic progress, to strategize for her success and delight in her achievements. I have found that the school encourages parent involvement and welcomes parent's input. Numerous monthly meetings are aimed at creating open communication among the parent community and with school administration. I find it reassuring that the school board, teachers and administration reevaluate the effectiveness of the curriculum and the community partners, making adjustments as necessary to better meet the needs of the student body and the goals of the school.

This school is wonderful! My child loves going to school and really loves coastal stewardship and music! We are so happy we found this school!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers act as a bridge from school to home learning and are always available to meet with parents

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Since a lot of academics are done at home, enrichment classes focus a lot on building relationships and developing strong citizens

Last modified Big Sur Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.