70 students|Pacific Unified

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (3 responses)

Posted November 19, 2015
Our family has a long history in Monterey Bay and our daughter is the sixth generation from our area. We are very grateful to BSCS and are thrilled with the Monterey campus. The school is well run, safe and balances a stellar academic curriculum with important programs such as art and music. We are very happy with the staff and teachers. From the school Director, to the teachers and secretary all are professional, kind and focused on children. Students are held accountable for leaning with monthly parent teacher conferences. The school has an AMAZING coastal stewardship program. So much to offer, including tennis lessons and music. I feel that the parents and staff are all focused on giving the best education possible to each and every child. Ms. Aimee the fourth/fifth grade teacher and school resource teacher is a gifted educator. As a public charter school it is tuition free and offers what only the very best private schools could only dream of offering. A true gem of a school on the beautiful Monterey Peninsula. Over time, I believe this school will have a very long waiting list as their philosophy and structure is based on the core principles that parents want for their child's education. Thank you BSCS for offering a strong and balanced program in such a safe and nurturing atmosphere.

Posted November 02, 2015
I always liked the idea of homeschooling, but since my daughter is an ESL student, I thought it isn’t an option for us. When I heard about BSCS I decided to give it a try. So far I am happy with my decision. BSCS gives my daughter an opportunity to socialize and learn English in a very warm and supportive environment. We both enjoy weekly music lessons (parents and siblings are welcome to join in) and nature walks with Coastal Stewardship. BSCS provides curriculum and materials and are ready to answer any questions we might have. Some people complain about organization. Yes, there was a little chaos in the beginning of the academic year, but I think it was due to the fact that the school is small and has a small staff. But because of its small size, it also feels like home here. There are only 13 kids in my daughter's class (she is in Kindergarten). Another thing I like is that with BSCS i am able to easily combine common core curriculum with the curriculum used in my home country. My daughter gets to learn them both and we still have time left for fun and extracurriculars. I recommend BSCS to families looking for an alternative to full-time homeschooling.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted October 29, 2015
To all the school leaders and staff a huge thank you!!! We appreciate you. Thank you thank you thank you.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted October 29, 2015
Being fair doesn't mean everyone gets their own way. Being fair means just that being fair ! I believe this school to have integrity , honesty , and a good sense of what it means to raise a child it takes a community !

Posted October 29, 2015
We have been here for two years , it fits all of our needs. It feels like family and you really can't find this kind of parent teacher combination anywhere else. I was in the education field for over 20 years , so I hand picked it. It met our expectations and beyond. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 28, 2015
Ms. Rosana is such a gem as an educator and a human. I feel that my child has a real advantage in life because they had Ms. Rosana's influence in these early, formative years.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted October 28, 2015
Wow! My child has learned so much from her classroom teacher, her ocean stewardship teacher and the enrichment educators. What a joy it has been to watch her knowledge grow!

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted October 28, 2015
My child has learned that making mistakes is part of learning and to push on and keep trying.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted October 28, 2015
Most certainly. My child is very empathetic and sensitive to how others are treated. Because of this she often shares with me how the day went with an emphasis on how her peers interacted and how her teacher leads them toward compassion and an understanding of one another's wants and needs.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted October 28, 2015
In my experience the teachers endeavor to instill and model integrity and to cultivate honest interactions between students.

135 Webster St, Monterey, CA  93940
Last modified Big Sur Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.