Bad
Good

This review is for 2013-2014 school year. I understand there has been a change in administration since and I hope it has improved things. Moved from a 10 rated school in Florida to this one and was truly shocked at the difference. There is an overwhelming sense of apathy from both administration and students. Focus is not on excelling, but simply on the lowest common denominator and "meeting standards." It is quite clear that schools in CA are poorly funded as everything at this school was worn, tired, and dated. We did have a few teachers that were wonderful and bright spots in an otherwise very unpleasant year. Kudos to Mr. Enterline and Ms. Rambach. Very high turnover rate for teachers and administration at this school.

Good school with strong academics. Make sure your child gets an experienced teacher. There is a new principal and Vice Principal and that is making things better.

I just Googled to find this school, which I attended in the early 1960s! I didn't realize it at the time but have often thought about it later, as an adult, and realized that it was a "special" school, at least at that time. By special, I mean that teachers who had run into some sort of problem with the system were placed there. The result was that it was sort of a school of teacher freaks. I expect I would break the "guidelines" here by detailing my remembrances but suffice it to say, the faculty was a virtual circus of nut cases.

To all you complaining welcome to California. That is how all the schools are. There used to be 30 kids per class in the 80s and 90s . If you don't like it home school your kid or fork out the cash for a private school.

The second grade classroom my daughter attends is out of control. Every time I visit the classroom or pick her up from school the atmosphere is disorganized and chaotic. I don t know how my daughter is going to learn anything in a class of 27 students where a significant amount of energy and school resources are spent on English Learners (kids that don t speak English). From basic instruction to the Pledge of Allegiance half the class seems to be taught in Spanish. It s bad enough that the class size is so large (up from 16 students per second grade class in 2009-2010) but with so many English Learners, and instruction in a foreign language, how is my daughter going to learn anything (except how to speak Spanish). Furthermore, according to the schools owns data (School Accountability Report Card, 2009-2010) Walter Colton School only spends 50% of what other schools in this district spend per student and less than 50% per student state wide. Of that money less than 1% is spent on books and supplies and over 99% is spent on teacher and staff salaries as well as benefit packages. What is going on here?

My daughter is a second grader. She is ranked number 6 out of 27 in her class. About seventeen children in her class are english learners. The advanced class will only take 4 out of the 27 in her class. The result is that two seven year olds get independent study for two hours after lunch. Today the other child was ill so she sat with the English learners and listened while the teacher mostly spoke Spanish. She did not get anything out of the lesson. The school and district are focusing resources on the weakest student and leaving the higher achieving students with minimal resources. Many of the stronger instructors at the k-3 level were transfered to other schools. The music teacher was transfered to another school. I am very disappointed in the leadership of the school and district.

School is very disorganized, most people in "admin" are rude and uncaring. No budget, overfilled classroom. Kindergarten teacher quit mid-year. My kid fell during lunch and broke 2 teeth. I picked him up right away when they called. When I got there he was sitting ALONE, bleeding and crying, on a bench in the entrance office. Alone, nobody could wait 5 minutes before going to lunch! Then I tried finding out what happened and who was supervising the playground. It took 2 days... I forgot to call in when my kid was sick once and I was asked if I owned a phone the next day. There's the rudeness. I volunteer a lot, so I guess I get to see a lot of the worse when I'm there. Things are supposed to change next year, I hope there is a lot of changes because I'm very disappointed.

This school is definitely below average in many areas. This school, and school district, is more worried about those who are lacking than those who are excelling. They worry more about children who do not speak English than those who go above and beyond the basics. We moved here from another state and it seems like my daughter reverted 2 years in grade. Pathetic. School violence and bad language runs wild in mostly all schools at all levels.

My daughter has been retained in the first grade and now is in second with the school year half over she is still on a first grade level.. The classes are over occupied and the teacher are overwhelmed.. The principle never returns phone calls.. I'm trying my hardest to put my daughter somewhere were she will get the teaching she needs..

We've built a great K-8 community with older kids playing the role as mentors and role models for those in the younger grades. Incredible parent/community support!

Last modified Walter Colton is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.