Posted April 30, 2014
My son is in kindergarten at Foothill this year and we are having a great experience. His teacher is amazing, and he is progressing and learning a lot. He is 5 years old and can read as well as many 2nd or 3rd graders. The staff that works in the office and the teacher's aides are all wonderful. They truly care about all of the students and I feel that they treat my son as if he was their own. I think its sad that greatschools does not consider anything but test scores in its ranking of schools. There is a lot going for Foothill, and I'm afraid this ranking system does a huge disservice to the community by scaring parents away.

Foothill Elementary School 5

Posted August 03, 2013
This is a great school with teachers who care. I've had a child enrolled in this school for the past 5 years And have covered all grades. Unfortunately the curriculum complaints are not the schools choosing we can thank the State of California testing standards. The teachers have to teach to curriculum and there are many teachers that go above and beyond that. The new PTA is making things fun for the students and good fund raisers. There is a new Principal which I am personally on the fence about, but his first year was ok so far positive changes. Last parents remember your child is going to get out what they put in any school. The job of the teachers is just part of the learning its our jobs to finish the learning at home. Mom of past Foothill 4 &5 th grader & current K-3rd grader

Foothill Elementary School 5

Posted September 03, 2011
My daughter has attended Foothill Elementary School since she was in kindergarten. She is now in 5th grade and is in Mrs. Banashefski's class. She loves her teacher and loves her school. With all of the cutbacks and money issues our MPUSD schools have experienced, I have to say that Foothill is doing an excellent job providing a good education for our students. Our principal, teachers, front office, all staff members, PTA, cafeteria professionals, custodians and parents are working together as a team to make our children's learning experience a positive one. I, for one love this school and am very proud to be a part of this wonderful team!!! After all, if we all work together to promote education in our schools, assist our teachers in the classroom when we can, play with our children on the playgrounds to get to know who their friends are, work out with our children in P.E. to show them how important exercise is (which is being funded by our Foothill PTA, not MPUSD), and be a part of promoting a positive environment for our kids, we can help our children believe that they can make a difference. Isn't that what we want for our kids? Foothill Elementary has made a difference for us..

Foothill Elementary School 2

Posted August 25, 2011
My son just started Kindergarten and I was appalled at the number of students in a class (30 to one teacher). After the first half week, I couldn't believe how juvenile the curriculum was. My 5 1/2 year old was "working" on shapes. At the Back to School night we learned that next week the kids would be starting a new math unit (I had some hope that it would be a little more advanced). I was stunned when the teacher said with enthusiasm that the kids would be learning the numbers 1-5! Granted my son has had the opportunity to attend really good preschools, but I did expect there to be some challenge or additional work from the teacher for the kids who already mastered the current topics. Our teacher made it clear she could or would not deviate from the set curriculum. My husband and I will be removing him from this school.

Foothill Elementary School 1

Posted March 06, 2011
Horrible staff. The Principal doesn't seem to care to work with parents when issues are brought to him. Poor after school program. Academics don't seem to be important. Awful supervision; my child was CONSTANTLY bullied, bruised, and beat up, and yet, no staff member seemed to be around to stop any altercations. My nephew experienced similar situations. I pulled my child from this place and relocated him to a more structured and safe learning environment.

Posted August 23, 2009
This is our son's second year at Foothill. They went from 5 Kindergarten teachers to 3 1st grade teachers so unfortunately there are 28 kids in his class. That said, the school does what it can, and the teachers are very impressive. Programs are administered well, the facilities are good, and the kids are handled well. Honestly, with funding being what it is, we couldn't ask for more, and especially in Mrs Maschmeier's class, our son has progressed immensely. Very happy with Foothill.

Foothill Elementary School 2

Posted August 23, 2009
Unfortunately, this school has been affected both by the lack of funding in the state for education and the poor management of this district. The principal communicates well with parents but doesn't seem interested in working well with them. Teachers are scatter shot - some seem great, but some have no classroom control and little experience inspiring the children to learn. The principal acts less than concerned about the lack of education those students receive. Some classrooms are small and under-supplied compared to others in the grade. The PTA, which is awesome, pays for classes that are standard in other districts (PE, for example). Parent volunteers in the classroom are heavily recruited but treated with disrespect. The school has a lot of room for improvement, but without money and cooperation between administration and parents, improvement isn't likely.

Foothill Elementary School 3

Posted June 03, 2009

Posted June 15, 2006
One of the last neighborhood schools after our District closed several of highest performing schools. In that sense, it is a godsend. It maintains the flavor of a true elementary school -kids overall are happy there, enjoy their school. Overall, they are engaged, but would like to see more parental and admin engagement in developing enhanced programming. They do the best they can with less money received than low performing schools. With an active PTA, they do lots of fundraising, but need more support for arts and extra and enhanced learning opportunities. It is a lovely campus and the kids seem to really enjoy going there. Communication from administration could be better. Primary negative issue for me: bullying and emotional issues are not dealt with for younger kids, only discipline given, no modeling or guidance given; parents not informed of incidents, but a good school & teachers!

Posted November 04, 2005
Great school- does a lot with what the district offers. The scores are always at the top in the state.

Foothill Elementary School
1700 Via Casoli, Monterey, CA  93940
Last modified Foothill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Foothill Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top