K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

San Carlos Elementary School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted June 18, 2016
The only great teacher at this school is Mr. Krislyn. He taught my son a lot.

San Carlos Elementary School 1

Posted June 18, 2016
My child has learned absolutely nothing during the school year. The teachers harassed my son and did not teach. One of the teachers gave the whole class a 100% due to laziness of grading. The school is desperate for money and volunteer work from the the parents. If you fail to participate, the school will give you a "dirty" look and exclude your children out of certain awards (sports, academics, etc.). The children are somewhat nice, however. All in all majority of the teachers are terrible. I regret sending my child here.

Posted March 29, 2015
Predominantly working, caring, dedicated, involved parents at this school site. The principal listens to the parents, who run the school. Most teachers are qualified, yet one teacher I personally questioned, but came to understand that her family makes wonderful contributions to the school and church's existence. One teacher was quietly asked to leave this last year -when in fact, we ALL adored her caring, loving demeanor with the young ones. Another fantastic teacher was not rehired after practically all of the parents went in on her behalf--- because the principal does not make decisions for true leadership at this site. There will be other good teachers as always, and more terrible decisions. I hope that the students continue to move forward with love, security, and understand that sometimes, we lose the BEST (Miss G , Mrs P, Mrs J) because money and powerful parents run the school. God Bless

San Carlos Elementary School 1

Posted January 11, 2015
Parents who have a special ed student, need not apply. Our son was rejected because the school said they do not take students with IEP's. We went through the entire process and they never said anything until he was rejected. We made it clear that our child was mainstream and did not need services. The lady who gave us the tour was very condesending and seemed annoyed when we asked questions. They never bothered to meet our son, nor did they ever ask. They based their decision solely on school documents and their own application. They never took the time to connect with any of his teachers to discuss his personality and performance at school. His home room teacher was surprised she was never contact and stated "well it's their loss" when she found out he was rejected. Our son just made the honor role at his public school and all of his teachers say he is model student. I think San Carlos should rewrite their own goals because they showed a complete lack of moral character in the application process. I would love to give this school "no stars" but the format does not allow me. They obviously did not put the effort in when it came to our son.

Posted May 01, 2014
I am an alumni and now sending my daughter to San Carlos School. You will see many of the same faces around here from decades ago, because it is a family and such a welcoming place to be. I was worried in sending my daughter here that it may have changed drastically since I attended. It did change - for the better. I love it even more now. My only suggestion would be that they need music education. You will not find a local school with more respectful students. Their environment is one that fosters kindness and acceptance and I don't think a bully exists within this campus.

Posted January 27, 2014
I am very satisfied with the school's administration and procedure. I feel my son is a safe environment. The principal's priority is children's safety. I believe a child will succeed as long as the parent is always involved (weather the parent is working or not). Parent/teacher communication is imperative, no matter what grade the child is in. So much is said about Lee County's school choice process and school grading; but as a parent once you educate yourself with the process, you get a better understanding of the process. It would be helpful for the administration of the school to explain more thoroughly, in layman's terms, how and what does a lower grade mean at an individual (student) level. Unless you are part of the system/administration it is challenging to embrace the school grades/school choice.

Posted April 14, 2012
I have been to many different schools, and by far San Carlos is the best. I have experience with the middle school program in particular, and it is wonderful. Most of the teachers are supportive and intelligent. However, some teachers in particular get on my nerves and I cannot honestly understand why they are working there. The other thing is that Mrs. Bennet(the principle) seems to treat the older students the same as the younger one. She has a lot of useless and offensive rules to the older children, as if she doesn't trust them to be in a classroom alone. I had no problem what so ever with the homework. It is incredibly minimal in comparison to what some reviews say, But then again, not everyone is as competent as the child I knew. Everyone at the school is very welcoming and the students are intelligent, for the most part. Also, the 8th grade goes to Washington DC over spring break, and I think that is a wonderful opportunity. Faith is a big part of the school and all faiths are very welcomed. Personally, I thought Mr. Krislyn was the best teacher in the middle school program , as he was charismatic and very interesting to talk to.

San Carlos Elementary School 2

Posted February 16, 2012
San Carlos School provides a safe environment among generally well-behaved and respectful children. Education is adequate, but with an emphasis more on busywork than on real academic advancement. Expect your child to start with 1-2 hours of homework in Kindergarten, advancing to several hours of homework by the end of Middle School. However, also expect your child to have to catch up with his classmates in a some subject areas after San Carlos, arriving at the next school (even public). Teacher education levels and ability to educate children vary wildly from excellent to miserable. Parental involvement is a definite requirement, which is easier to fill if one parent does not work, but the requirements are manageable, even if only one parent puts in the time. As a non-profit, and to keep tuition costs down, there is constant fundraising and raffling, but this also provides opportunities to fulfill parental volunteer hour requirements.

Posted October 23, 2009
San Carlos is a fantastic school. After reviewing several schools in the area, we decided on San Carlos. We have been very happy here. As soon as you step onto the school grounds, you get a sense of belonging. Everyone is like family. The children are challenged not only in the classroom but also at home by the amount of homework they are given. My daughter really loves the school, her classmates, and her teachers, as do I.

Posted October 11, 2009
We lost a wonderful 3rd teacher. Mrs. Paris prepared our son very well. She was the best teacher.

San Carlos Elementary School
450 Church Street, Monterey, CA  93940
Last modified San Carlos Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8