The High School At Moorpark College

Public | 11-12

Living in Moorpark

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $408,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,740.

Posted June 22, 2014

It sounds like there is a very disgruntled parent out there, that has it in for this school. My high schooler was very happy here. The teachers were caring and very competent. Like any school, the kids get out of it what they put into it. It's too bad that people are allowed to post disparaging reviews about people anonymously.

Posted June 22, 2014

There was 1 great teacher, 1 pretty good one, and 2 who were terrible- 1 of which has a toxic effect on the kids under his influence. The leadership allows too many 'bad eggs' in the form of teachers AND students. We knew up front that like other schools, this one has a drug problem- but here it's taking place in the parking lot 50' from the classrooms & nobody pretends to police it. A dedicated student can succeed academically at almost any environment they're in, as long as they have the desire & good study habits- so it can be done here, too. But this is predominantly a 'just get it over with' type of school & the staff is not there to turn anybody around. Senior year is a joke academically, so if that's what your student needs, this is perfect- no challenge involved at that point, but probably good for a kid who works part time. Notice the completely polarized reviews posted here & realize that there's no middle ground, so choose carefully. As you read, think about the rave reviews and ask yourself if they fit the profile of the person claiming to write them, or if it's a teacher/administrator pretending to write the reviews as students & parents- the language doesn't fit.

Posted May 28, 2014

The best way to encapsulate the 2 years at HSMC is that the principal told the Sr. Class that graduation was not at them. This is really just one last time the staff can make a student event about them and not students. The ego of these people is overwhelming. So glad it's over with this school. I would not recommended this program. There has to be a much better alternative out there with people who really care about there students going on to college.

Posted May 17, 2014

By far, this was the worst school I have attended in my entire life, even over the standardized public middle and high schools I have attended prior to this one. It currently advertises a more independent education by introducing students to college courses and a "flexible schedule". However, the high school schedule and curriculum for that matter are not flexible whatsoever. The curriculum was created completely by one teacher, (which should automatically bring up the question of its credibility) and it is humanities based. This may not alarm anyone at first sight, but the majority (and by that I mean 95%) of the workload is comprised of monotonous, remedial exercises commonly referred to as "busywork". There are no decisive results that can be identified from this work besides the ability to follow basic instructions; many of the tests and assessments are based off this work. The two aspects of this school that bothered me the most were the fact that students cannot choose an education respective to their desired college majors, (even though the school is a middle college for Christ's Sake) and the combination of the borderline childish rules and lack of teacher competence.

Posted May 2, 2014

Its amazing this school suits my needs and is so flexible, I am just sad it is the last two years of highschool, not all of them, which makes kids change schools to go there. Overall , though, its great.

Posted March 2, 2014

Like the majority of my peers, I could not be happier with my decision to join HSMC. The innovative curriculum, incredible level of dedication from the teachers, and heartwarming feeling of community at the school have made my two years at HSMC an awesome and fulfilling one. I took mostly Honors and AP classes at my previous classes, yet I find that I have learned so much more as a HSMC student. That being said, students at any level can succeed at HSMC provided they are willing to put in the effort. The student that will thrive at this school is the one who is ready to take control of their own education, like a college-aged adult. Unfortunately, some of the students that join the school do so for inappropriate reason, or are simply not yet mature enough for the responsibility; this is a unique school, so of course some people will find it is not for them and leave. It is unfortunate that some students (not to mention parents) are stooping so low as to blow up their petty feuds to try and damage the school's reputation, but they are the miserable minority. If you're tired of being treated like a number at school and want to find joy in learning again, HSMC is the place for you.

Posted February 4, 2014

My husband and I are very happy with the decision to have our child attend this high school. My daughter developed critical learning skills in both her high school classes and college classes. All 4 high teachers have been very impactive in helping her grow and learn about being accountable for her actions and decisions. The office staff is great. The principal is a very organized leader determined to help each child fulfill their dreams of getting accepted at excellent colleges. We are so thankful for this high school giving kids the opportunity to take and earn college classes. Our daughter has received college acceptances and a scholarship. When applying for colleges, it was such a good feeling to check on the box that asked if "have taken college courses" and we feel this really helped her chances for admissions into good colleges. We have no complaints about the school. If your child is willing to put in the work, in the end, you will be amazed with the results in how your child evolves. Exposure to the college atmosphere and curriculum is also another excellent element about this high school. Excellent high school!

Posted January 31, 2014

I'm honestly appalled reading some of the reviews below. I haven't met one person who said they didn't have a wonderful experience at HSMC, myself included. I would love to talk to some of these people below who apparently had such a negative experience (clearly, some of which have emotional issues). I decided to go to HSMC because I wanted to take college classes and challenge myself academically in the general high school courses they offered because I was so incredibly bored in a regular high school setting. I achieved this and much more, because I learned more in one year going to HSMC than my entire high school career (& I've attended a private school and public school previously). I grew not only as a student, but as an individual. My teachers went above and beyond for me (Simpson & Salen at the time) and helped guide me on the right path to achieve all of my goals as a student - I've been out of high school for only 4 years now and I've been a working professional for half and I'm currently a surgical assistant that graduated at the top of my class and was the ambassador of my program. I don't know if I would have been where I am without the experience I had at HSMC.

Posted January 26, 2014

My child attended this school as a junior and is now a senior. I am glad that the new Principal is there. There are rule, polices and procedures to help guide the school. It is much better! The students with bad behavior and defiant attitudes are GONE. There is no place for misfits like that at this school. The environment is much better. There are no student or teacher bullies at this school.

Posted January 24, 2014

I am very happy at this school. I like the teachers and the staff is very friendly. The college classes can be tough but worth it. The work at the high school is very interesting. I am learning so much more than from my previous high school. I am glad I went to this high school. Taking the college classes beats taking AP courses.

Posted January 12, 2014

The senior teachers are not interested in hearing from the students in regards to ways to improve the program. All they do is give busy work and don't even give a thought to helping students prepare to apply for college because all they really think is that they will go to Moorpark College anyway. Its ridiculous that these teachers are being paid full time for a part time job that they don't give 100% too. The students are suffering because of lack of care from the teachers who are above all, only bullies who look at their students as ways to make themselves feel superior and boost their ego by degrading the people who they should be supporting and nurturing. The only thing I learned by going here is what a corrupt school system is.

Posted September 12, 2013

It is shocking in today's competitive world that a school with the such great options in college classes can have such low level high school teachers. All they do is the same work year after year that has no real benefit for the students. The 12 grade teachers both say how your child will be able to get a job out if their 12th grade binders. Really? We sent our child here to get into a good college. How about spending class time writing for the common app that the 12th graders would be using as an application right now not a binder saved of busy work all year. College is the goal today! The teachers are so set in their ways and do not want to work since they have such a sweet job in a small school and off the radar. They talk a big talk but deliver very little. The students have big goals and hold their own in college already this is not an alternative school for drop outs the students should have better teachers that are really motivating each student and excite them. Group exercises every once in a while is OK but all the time is just lazy.

Posted May 19, 2013

We were looking for a good learning environment with fewer distractions than a larger HS might have. Here are the pros & cons in our experience: Pros: Concurrent college classes A few good teachers (only 2 for us) Smaller environment for self-starters Cons: Some teachers don't teach- just assign work Unbelievable amount of socialistic indoctrination-Your views can cost a letter grade or two. Students are offered drugs on a regular basis- not that it won't happen on a larger campus, but it's pretty visible & nobody cares Our student went in w/ high hopes & now can't wait for it to end Summary: No athletics, which can be good and bad, but you won't have to worry about athletes or bullies at this school (unless you count one of the pushy teachers). If your student just wants to do their time & get out, this will probably be fine. If you're looking for a more typical HS experience without a whole new group of problems, find a good private school. The overwhelming consensus among the seniors is that you should not waste your senior year here- it is useless! They were right.

Posted May 8, 2012

NO CRITICISM - My kids attended this school the past 6 years, and the only ones who can't get the college classes needed are the procrastinators who don't select their classes on time. If you sign up to be wait-listed and attend classes the first week anyway, they always let you add. The HS@MC has classes from 1-6 pm, M-Thur, so plenty of time for college in the mornings, evenings, or even online courses you can do at home in your pajamas! NO EXCUSES not to get all the classes needed. As for the counseling, you do need to be responsible for tracking your own graduation and college admission requirements. Due to budget constraints, like ALL high schools, they don't have enough time to micromanage each student's credits. The principal does bend over backwards to help. So grow up, be responsible for selecting your classes on time, keeping track of your goals, and enjoy this program. It is the best thing out there. Plus, if you maintain a B average, there are transfer programs to UC Davis, UCLA, and many other fine universities. Some HS@MC students get enough credits to go directly to univ. as sophomores, and do save parents a small fortune. DO THIS! You won't regret it.

Posted October 12, 2011

The High School @ Moorpark College offers the opportunity for students to earn college credits while participating in a high school program. Our student loves the additional challenge within a friendly social environment.

Posted May 31, 2011

The best decision I have made in my life is attending this school and everyone who attended with me would agree. As students we did complain about its flaws, but as we graduated we all realized we became a close-knit family

Posted May 25, 2010

We love the school! I had heard so many positive things over the years and suggested it to my daughter last year. We went to the orientation and my daughter and I were very impressed. My husband was a little skeptical until we had a meeting with the school head, Dr. Dan, who my husband really liked. From the beginning of the school year, my daughter really excelled and as her junior year is coming to a close this week, the three of us couldn t be happier. The teachers and staff are wonderful and very supportive. My husband tells everyone we know how great the school is and said recently that this is a school where it is COOL to be smart . Instead of a school where the emphasis is on the jocks and cheerleaders, Moorpark High School @ the College embraces individuality and academics. We would highly recommend it to students who really want to learn in a progressive and inventive school environment.

Posted December 2, 2009

I can't say enough wonderful things about this school. HS@MC provides an opportunity for an in-depth, quality education, with a vastly greater number of math and science course options, due to the relationship with Moorpark College. Our daughter was not motivated at the public school, but here her grades have been excellent (both high school and college courses) and when I see the papers she brings home, I can't believe this is the same child. Her writing skills are amazing, and this is all thanks to HS@MC. Good grades and a caring administrative and teaching staff have boosted her self esteem too. It is definitely a plus that she will graduate high school having completed more than a year's worth of college courses. I wish more schools took this approach to teaching.

Posted August 26, 2009

This school offers a schedule appropriate and conducive to learning for a teenager. It allows college courses to supplement high school courses. There is debating, free-thinking and innovative thought going on. It is a fantastic school

Posted April 5, 2009

I have nearly completed my first year at this school, and I know of no one who feels that this school has an 'all encompassing curriculum, ' as written below. That, actually, is not possible, because the school only offers English, History, Economics, and Popular Culture. The rest of your classes have to be taken at Moorpark College, and there are significant limits to availability because of conflicts of scheduling with the High School. No one I know thinks it is 'incredible' either, and many of us have a hard time with the counseling office here.

Grade level

(2012)

3 / 10

N/A

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

N/A

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

n/a
High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)64%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate91%

Geometry

Parent education - declined to staten/a

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

All Students33%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7075 Campus Road