Posted June 22, 2014
It sounds like there is a very disgruntled parent out there, that has it in for this school. My high schooler was very happy here. The teachers were caring and very competent. Like any school, the kids get out of it what they put into it. It's too bad that people are allowed to post disparaging reviews about people anonymously.

The High School At Moorpark College 2

Posted June 22, 2014
There was 1 great teacher, 1 pretty good one, and 2 who were terrible- 1 of which has a toxic effect on the kids under his influence. The leadership allows too many 'bad eggs' in the form of teachers AND students. We knew up front that like other schools, this one has a drug problem- but here it's taking place in the parking lot 50' from the classrooms & nobody pretends to police it. A dedicated student can succeed academically at almost any environment they're in, as long as they have the desire & good study habits- so it can be done here, too. But this is predominantly a 'just get it over with' type of school & the staff is not there to turn anybody around. Senior year is a joke academically, so if that's what your student needs, this is perfect- no challenge involved at that point, but probably good for a kid who works part time. Notice the completely polarized reviews posted here & realize that there's no middle ground, so choose carefully. As you read, think about the rave reviews and ask yourself if they fit the profile of the person claiming to write them, or if it's a teacher/administrator pretending to write the reviews as students & parents- the language doesn't fit.

The High School At Moorpark College 1

Posted May 28, 2014
The best way to encapsulate the 2 years at HSMC is that the principal told the Sr. Class that graduation was not at them. This is really just one last time the staff can make a student event about them and not students. The ego of these people is overwhelming. So glad it's over with this school. I would not recommended this program. There has to be a much better alternative out there with people who really care about there students going on to college.

The High School At Moorpark College 1

Posted May 17, 2014
By far, this was the worst school I have attended in my entire life, even over the standardized public middle and high schools I have attended prior to this one. It currently advertises a more independent education by introducing students to college courses and a "flexible schedule". However, the high school schedule and curriculum for that matter are not flexible whatsoever. The curriculum was created completely by one teacher, (which should automatically bring up the question of its credibility) and it is humanities based. This may not alarm anyone at first sight, but the majority (and by that I mean 95%) of the workload is comprised of monotonous, remedial exercises commonly referred to as "busywork". There are no decisive results that can be identified from this work besides the ability to follow basic instructions; many of the tests and assessments are based off this work. The two aspects of this school that bothered me the most were the fact that students cannot choose an education respective to their desired college majors, (even though the school is a middle college for Christ's Sake) and the combination of the borderline childish rules and lack of teacher competence.

Posted May 02, 2014
Its amazing this school suits my needs and is so flexible, I am just sad it is the last two years of highschool, not all of them, which makes kids change schools to go there. Overall , though, its great.

Posted March 02, 2014
Like the majority of my peers, I could not be happier with my decision to join HSMC. The innovative curriculum, incredible level of dedication from the teachers, and heartwarming feeling of community at the school have made my two years at HSMC an awesome and fulfilling one. I took mostly Honors and AP classes at my previous classes, yet I find that I have learned so much more as a HSMC student. That being said, students at any level can succeed at HSMC provided they are willing to put in the effort. The student that will thrive at this school is the one who is ready to take control of their own education, like a college-aged adult. Unfortunately, some of the students that join the school do so for inappropriate reason, or are simply not yet mature enough for the responsibility; this is a unique school, so of course some people will find it is not for them and leave. It is unfortunate that some students (not to mention parents) are stooping so low as to blow up their petty feuds to try and damage the school's reputation, but they are the miserable minority. If you're tired of being treated like a number at school and want to find joy in learning again, HSMC is the place for you.

Posted February 04, 2014
My husband and I are very happy with the decision to have our child attend this high school. My daughter developed critical learning skills in both her high school classes and college classes. All 4 high teachers have been very impactive in helping her grow and learn about being accountable for her actions and decisions. The office staff is great. The principal is a very organized leader determined to help each child fulfill their dreams of getting accepted at excellent colleges. We are so thankful for this high school giving kids the opportunity to take and earn college classes. Our daughter has received college acceptances and a scholarship. When applying for colleges, it was such a good feeling to check on the box that asked if "have taken college courses" and we feel this really helped her chances for admissions into good colleges. We have no complaints about the school. If your child is willing to put in the work, in the end, you will be amazed with the results in how your child evolves. Exposure to the college atmosphere and curriculum is also another excellent element about this high school. Excellent high school!

Posted January 31, 2014
I'm honestly appalled reading some of the reviews below. I haven't met one person who said they didn't have a wonderful experience at HSMC, myself included. I would love to talk to some of these people below who apparently had such a negative experience (clearly, some of which have emotional issues). I decided to go to HSMC because I wanted to take college classes and challenge myself academically in the general high school courses they offered because I was so incredibly bored in a regular high school setting. I achieved this and much more, because I learned more in one year going to HSMC than my entire high school career (& I've attended a private school and public school previously). I grew not only as a student, but as an individual. My teachers went above and beyond for me (Simpson & Salen at the time) and helped guide me on the right path to achieve all of my goals as a student - I've been out of high school for only 4 years now and I've been a working professional for half and I'm currently a surgical assistant that graduated at the top of my class and was the ambassador of my program. I don't know if I would have been where I am without the experience I had at HSMC.

The High School At Moorpark College 4

Posted January 26, 2014
My child attended this school as a junior and is now a senior. I am glad that the new Principal is there. There are rule, polices and procedures to help guide the school. It is much better! The students with bad behavior and defiant attitudes are GONE. There is no place for misfits like that at this school. The environment is much better. There are no student or teacher bullies at this school.

Posted January 24, 2014
I am very happy at this school. I like the teachers and the staff is very friendly. The college classes can be tough but worth it. The work at the high school is very interesting. I am learning so much more than from my previous high school. I am glad I went to this high school. Taking the college classes beats taking AP courses.

The High School At Moorpark College
7075 Campus Road, Moorpark, CA  93021
Last modified The High School At Moorpark College is a Public school that serves grades 11-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
The High School At Moorpark College Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top