Moorpark, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted October 22, 2013
Arroyo West is a fabulous school and I always feel welcome when I walk in the front door.

Posted October 22, 2013
Arroyo West is awesome. My child is excited about learning and can't wait to go to school every day. She loves reading and writing stories in her spare time and has passed this passion along to her younger sibling. Arroyo West has had such a positive impact on my child's life and our family overall. I am confident this school is building a firm foundation for my children's future academic success. Great School.

Posted October 18, 2013
I have a 1st Grader at AWALA and I can remember touring the school as a Kindergarten parent and absolutely falling in love. I believe in first impressions and that started for me with the office staff. I have never met a more caring and compassionate group of people! Arroyo West has the best teachers who are always enthusiastic and outgoing. The school has a new principle this year and I have personally gotten to know her and love what she is doing for the school. She interacts with the kids on a daily basis and is full of enthusiasm. She is very passionate about the common core standards, which I love. In short, this is a GREAT school!!

Posted October 18, 2013
The reading and writing program at this school is outstanding. I registered my 5th grader and 1st grader as new students in 2011. Both were behind in their reading levels and within one year, both were reading ahead of their levels. As my older son went on to middle school, he was placed in honors classes and has had straight As with outstanding comments on his writing skills. This would not have been possible without the program that my son was introduced to in 5th grade. Now my younger son is in 3rd grade, enjoys a 5th grade reading level and reads on his own for 30 minutes a day, even on weekends, because he enjoys reading. I made a great choice in moving my children from private school to this public school.

Posted October 18, 2013
I love Arroyo West. This is my daughters 2nd year and I'll admit I was initially apprehensive based on "scores" as compared to other schools. After having been here a year, I wouldn't consider another school. - Teachers are involved, caring and professional - The learning environment; -- is interactive and hands on -- promotes rapid growth as students learn at their individual level -- builds independent, adaptive, resourceful and creative thinkers -- creates a deeper understanding of subjects by incorporating multiple sources and tools across disciplines -- positively reinforces lessons learned as students see real world application -- fosters community and social responsibility through cooperative, peer to peer work groups -- initiates a love of reading and writing I didn't realize could exist at my daughter's age Yeah, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Posted October 02, 2013
2 unhappy parents isn't a true portrayal of AWALA. This schools does a great job for all of its students. Don't let a couple sour grapes ruin your impression of the school.

Arroyo West Active Learning Academy 4

Posted August 29, 2012
This will be my sons 2nd year at Arroyo. They have visual hands on way of teaching here. The kids learn with technology during class room activates. I have had more interaction with the front office staff than the principle so not sure what has happen in the past. Hopefully she reads this and can improve the way the afterschool and bullying issues. I wouldn t want my son to be bullied and no course of action taken. My main reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is because I wished during K the kids would have more assemblies to perform for their families. 23 years ago I was a wrangler kid going to Arroyo West so my expectations are high. After being a volunteer at all the schools in Moorpark and interacting with the staff I took my son from another school here in Moorpark and decided this was the best place for him to grow and learn arroyo west!

Arroyo West Active Learning Academy 1

Posted August 20, 2012
I agree with the other reviewer that the principal at Arroyo West cannot be trusted to do the right thing to protect kids from bullying and incompetent after-school supervisors who lose children. Ms. Smith-Klein espouses canned, politically correct rhetoric while hiding incidences of bullying, children getting on the wrong bus and winding up lost, and an after school program that is in a word - DANGEROUS - to the safety of school children. The teachers are great; the principal needs to be replaced.

Posted July 26, 2011
This is our daughter's second year at Arroyo West. Arroyo West Elementary is a great public school; the teachers are wondeful and enthusiastic. The office administrators are also very helpful and friendly.

Arroyo West Active Learning Academy 4

Posted January 26, 2010

Arroyo West Active Learning Academy
4117 Country Hill Road, Moorpark, CA  93021
Last modified Arroyo West Active Learning Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arroyo West Active Learning Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top