No rating

Calvary Chapel Christian

Private | K-12 | 269 students

Living in Moreno Valley

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $192,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,610.

Posted November 8, 2012

My student had an awesome Kindergarten year! The teacher was very caring and supportive of his unusual home life (being raised by grandparents). However, his first grade year was a disaster! Unfair treatment, incompetent staff, etc. After just 7 weeks into the school year, I was told to withdraw him, or he would have an expulsion on his record! What happened to the other child involved?...NOTHING!! I am now homeschooling him to get him caught up on his self esteem and reading skills!

Posted October 21, 2011

My daughter attended an exclusive secular private school, in the San Fernando Valley, from pre-K through sixth grade, then seventh grade at a "good" public school in Moreno Valley and came here in the eighth grade and is now a junior. The quality of everything at her first school was was truly top notch, though if it weren't for a scholarship, she'd never have been able to attend,as the tuition was in the 4 digits/ month. The M.V. public school was a frightening experience. Some of the staff was more self-absorbed and petty than the students and the social envirenment reminded me of my college experience, not middle school (having sex and doing drugs were major talking points). Then there were the young upcoming thugs and junior gangsters trying to assert themselves, which it seemed as though the school did little about. Coming to CCCS was a return to school as I knew it. When someone is out of line, as soon as word gets out, it's dealt with, in a firm but loving manner. Also, I've read that some people claim that their child was put at an educational disadvantage here, but I believe that a look at the school's record in national testing will dispell that.

Posted July 14, 2011

My child attended this school for four years. She was considered an advanced student based upon their initial assessment and made the prinicipal's honor roll. I removed her due to the methods the school chose to use to address behavior problems and bullying. They ignored it until forced to deal with it after several requests of intervention. They lacked enough supervision on the play ground . Upon entering another school (public), my child was considered behind and required tutors to catch up, although she was considered advanced at Calvary. Unfortunately, a great deal of coaching and priming prior to and after testing (through retesting) was given in order to ensure the classroom grades reflected well on teachers as opposed to the students' true potential. Parent involvement was not encouraged beyond fundraising. Teachers were often overheard discussing confidential student information with a parent while other parents were nearby. Their strength is the casual/intimate environment, they know names. But after school as parents pick up younger students, both would be exposed to the inappropiate language and clothing of the older students that hung out in the quad after school.

Posted March 9, 2011

My son went there from k-4; we took him out of the school during Christmas Break his 4th grade year. The teachers don't have to be credentialed and that was a real struggle for me. We had some teachers we loved but we had some that we weren't impressed with at all. He was for the most part a straight A kid and when I asked for help in math after he had a low score on a test his teacher told me that she charged $30 an hour for tutoring. That wasn t' the only issue - he had to do a formal apology for something he didn t do (he wasn t even in school at the time - he was at the dentist) He told the teachers and the principal this the following day but he was still made to apologize - and all this was done without a phone call to me. The older kids were some pretty skimpy clothing for a Christian School and the language after school isn't what I'd expect from a private school. I don't regret taking him out and putting him in the public school system - in fact he had to play catch up on several subjects - which was very surprising to me since he was always in honor roll at Calvary Chapel.

Posted May 9, 2010

I started attending this school in third grade and absolutely loved it...until sixth grade. The staff changed over the summer and the school became a sort of disaster. It was a great school of education in Christ and regular schooling classes until changes were made. Good teachers were cut and inexperienced ones replaced them. They try to make the school better, but money is wasted on useless projects rather than promised improvements.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 6, 2009

My son started CCCS in 6th grade and he loves it, has strong academics and a christian enviroment. We put our daughter there for Kindergarten, she had the best teacher, wonderful learning enviroment. Adminstrators seem to hire family so a lot of relatives on staff, most of the staff very friendly.

Posted February 15, 2009

Stong academics in a Christian environmnet. This school has a very dedicated and loving staff. The core curriculum is rigorous, on/above par with state standards. Extra-curricular and childcare are a real plus. My child is in her 5th year at CCCS and I think God for leading us here.

Posted January 9, 2009

My child has been attending CCC since she started in Kindergarden. Every teachers she has had has been nurturing and build her confidence in a way that she is become a great student and enjoys going to school everyday. I am so very blessed to have teachers and a school that has a primary focus on the education and building the character of a child.

Posted October 7, 2008

This is truely a GREAT school. We were welcomed by the entire administrative staff and given a tour by the principal. My son was introduced to the 3rd grade teachers after his assessment test. I was very impressed with the enrollment process. The first day of school my son's teacher held his hand as they walked from the playground to class (awe moment for me). Most important and impressive is the importance of Christ in the class and school. My son is growing spiritually and that is essential. He has made friends right away and adjusted to the new school very smoothly. I was provided with a pin for the school website where I can get assignments and grades. This is a great communication tool and I get emails as soon as my son's grades are posted. Love it! Monique Jackson

Posted March 29, 2008

Our children are now in their 4th year with CCCS, they are now both in high school. Calvary continues to strive to make every year better than the year before. Yes, we do not have a lot of things the public high schools offer, but we do have one thing public school doesn't , a sense of peace knowing our girls do not have to deal with the fear of gangs or someone carrying a gun to school, or drugs being sold on campus. It is a school where everyone knows everyones business, this proves over and over to be a GOOD thing. Every teacher our girls have had over the years have truly cared about each one of their students. Having GOD in school is the KEY. We are thankful for Calvary Chapel Christian School. GO LIONS!!!!!!!

Posted February 8, 2008

My child can read better than her public school friends and has been honor roll since she started there. They teach the Bible daily and have weekly chapel. Love the curriculum too.

Posted August 17, 2007

A good school to go to. You know, it's pretty fun knowing just about everyone there. We get a lot of one on one time with the teachers. Of course you still have some teachers you won't like, but that's expected. The school can be a little overbearing, but, you know it's for your own good. If you want to stay out of trouble and get teachers who really care (although some a little too much), then this is the place. Good atmosphere, great students. I'm happy with my school at the moment (even though all that money they have is just sitting there). Be forewarned that this school has no baseball, basketball, or volleyball facilities at the moment. What we currently have is a football/ soccer/ track/ softball field-thingy, and it's not much to look at. Despite all it's downfalls, it's a good place to just go and have fun.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 27, 2006

I am very satisfied in the choice I made for my son's education. This school is awesome. He fits right in. Academics are a challenge but he's right back up to A's & B's. The kids are taught respect and accountability. My son loves going to school. This is the type of environment we prayed for.

Posted November 12, 2006

While CCCS has many good qualities, it is another example of what you see on the surface as not necessarily what you get. Very clique orientated in some areas. CCCS might benefit from a prayerful re-evaluation of the true meaning of Christian education according to the scripture.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 24, 2006

This school does not offer typing classes. Most of the better teachers have left because the school does not pay enough. There is no cafeteria, gym, locker room. The school is getting better slowly.

Posted March 27, 2006

Great school awesome chapels and top notch education. Would like to see see more fine arts opportunity in music in upper division.

Posted November 15, 2005

CCCS provides a nurturing environment for children to grow, both in academic excellence and personal faith. After 4 years of public school, my husband and I decided to place our daughters in private school with the hopes of finding teachers who were not 'worn out'. We have found the teachers to exemplify personal work ethic, creative teaching style and a true love for each student. Each child is taught personal responsibility, study habits to prepare them for college, leadership skills, and are encouraged to find their own relationship with God (as opposed to living their parents' faith) The children are encouraged to pray for eachother daily and are made aware of their impact on the world. My children are more self-confident and are excelling in their new environment.

Posted October 16, 2005

Very well run school. A real Spirit of love among teachers and staff. Tuition very reasonable. Dress code a little loose for my taste but I am from the MidWest. Academic instruction among lower grades is average. Lots of extracurricular activities for studenst. I would reccommend this school to anyone.

Posted September 6, 2005

The academic programs are great. Would like to see more extracurricalr activities.

Posted April 26, 2005

Academically my daugther is doing great. I think this school instills good values and traditional ways. I am however, disappointed in the lack of communication with the business administration. Sometimes I feel as if my daughter is a dollar & cent symbol. They are not charitable when it comes to late tuition payments. It is either pay or pray.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mr. Tim Hamilton
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious