Morgan Hill, CA

Posted July 31, 2015
I'm surprised and disappointed at a few of the reviews. My son has been at Oakwood for several years now, and it has been a fantastic experience for him. He was a very solid reader by first grade and was reading really well independently. His ECU and elementary teachers have been wonderful--very warm and caring. As an educator myself (a professor who has also taught at the secondary level), I have nothing but praise for Oakwood and its administration, faculty, and staff. The middle school offers far more electives than just "finger knitting" as someone else claimed. If you are going to write a review, be honest. I've never seen a public school with nearly as many electives in middle. French and Spanish are offered, Mandarin and German are offered, there are art classes and digital photography, film classes, ceramics, health and fitness, drama, debate, etc. And yes, I believe there will be robotics this year as well. One thing I love about Oakwood is that many of the middle and high school teachers hold graduate degrees in their field. In fact, all the teachers in the HS English department hold a PhD. The teachers are well-educated and love their subject matter. Oakwood is a terrific school with a caring staff, dedicated administrators, an involved and warm director, and a gorgeous campus to boot. I can't think of any other school in the area where I'd rather send my son.

Posted May 27, 2015
People come here to live in a fantasyland. One of the last reviewers put it perfectly, you don't get what you pay for.

Posted May 16, 2015
I have two children at Oakwood School and we could not be more pleased. We came to Oakwood after horrific social and academic experiences at another local private school. Since attending Oakwood my children have grown in every possible way - as scholars, as social beings, as responsible citizens, I could go on and on. My children love going to school each day. The curriculum is engaging and applicable to the global world we live in. They haven been exposed to history, religion, and culture that they would not have otherwise. The parents community is supportive and diverse and the teaching staff is responsive and caring. We feel comfortable discussing our best days or our greatest fears with the administration as needed. In a sense, our whole family goes to Oakwood - not just a place where the kids are dropped off. Overall a stellar environment and a perfect fit for our family.
3 people found this helpful

Posted April 28, 2015
This school suffers from a bit of EDD - Educational Deficit Disorder. Our children were waaaay behind after moving to a new school. The close to $20K tuition per year is a bad value in the marketplace. The class sizes are really small, too small. It is still a "country" school, even though they have removed this from the name. Our oldest child had a horrible experience of being bullied and singled out. Our concerns were dismissed by the administration and never addressed. In our view, Oakwood lacks the sophistication we wanted for our children in the most important ways - fair treatment, up-to-par curriculum, pedigreed teachers and basic technology. We left for another private school where these expectations are exceeding our hopes and we are SO HAPPY (for half the price)!!! You don't always get what you pay for and we learned the hard way.
4 people found this helpful

Posted April 25, 2015
My Boys have gone to this school for 6 years. It has been a good "day care service" WE have to supplement the expensive tuition with tutors and teachers for experienced teaching. The biggest Joke was when we hit Middle School and got the list of Electives. FINGER KNITTING, PILL BOX HAT MAKING - not programming, robotics, or even arts.......REALLY?
5 people found this helpful

Posted April 16, 2015
Oakwood has had a small graduating class until the last year. They regularly have students accepted to Stanford as well as other highly competitive colleges. This gives the school great credibility; their numbers have quickly grown to nearly fifty per class. They've got it all--academics, athletics, arts, and an extremely caring teachers and faculty.
4 people found this helpful

Oakwood School 3

Posted January 12, 2015
My daughter used to go to Oakwood. We had no concerns at the time. But after she moved up North for high school, we started to realize how much behind she was academically (She was an A student at Oakwood). I felt embarrassed and never shared this experience with people before. But now I'm over with it, and wish this review to help parents like me. Yes, Oakwood has great extracurricular activities. But too much! Plus, all those extracurriculars happen during regular school hour(nothing during afterschool). That left not much time for academics! Somedays, the kids will spend so much class time practicing Drama (they spent a lot of time for Drama, Art class, and PE) then they only spent 5 minutes in math. That is not right! The problem is, the school does not want to address parent concerns. If your child have a issue about the school( not happy etc.) they will response very fast, but if parents want to express some concerns, you can hardly find anyone at school to complain to. The owner is never there (maybe intentional), the principal tries to run around it. To me, I think it's easier to do extracurricular than academics. And easier to please kids than parents.
9 people found this helpful

Posted December 23, 2014
My child came here last year and loves it! My child has a 504 and the teachers are really understandable. The arts departments is amazing with so many to choose from my child is doing better compared to public schools. I think Oakwood is the best place to go to fit your child.
2 people found this helpful

Oakwood School 3

Posted August 11, 2014
My experience of this school is not that great. They try to make you think it's great, for its extra-Curricular activities. But it takes a while for parents to realize that these extra-curricular activities are taking too much time from academic teaching times. For at least once or twice a week, my kids will have PE class/drama class longer than their math classes. Sometime their math class was just less than 10 minutes a day. That s ridiculous! They don t care if parents try to complain. They just want to make sure the kids are happy , which means no work. After paying $1700 a month per kid for 6 years, I was very disappointed to see that my kids have a hard time catching up academically when they transferred to Valley Christian for high school. Oakwood is just a big party school. If you want to give your kids an advantage in life, for getting a good education, don't put them in Oakwood.

Posted July 09, 2014
Oakwood High has been such an awesome experience for our family! From day 1, the staff, teachers, and other students were very accepting of our son. The teachers are very well educated and want to see the students succeed. Contrary to some of the other reviews, we found that they encouraged and challenged our son, and prepared him for college. He participated in sports as well as drama, and excelled not because we were influential parents but because of his efforts, talents and good attitude. The community of students, their families, and staff are quite diverse, yet very accepting of one another. We attended most of the school events, and always felt at home. My wife and I are both educators. Having lived in the community for many years, we were familiar with the other private and public schools in the area. For our son, Oakwood was a great experience. I would encourage you to check it out for yourself at an Open House and Shadow Day.
2 people found this helpful