PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

We have been very happy with our Oakwood experience so far particularly at the lower school level. Many of the families have multiple children at the same school which says a lot about their experience. The ground is gorgeous and spacious, and the atmosphere cozy and welcoming. Learning doesn't have to be high pressure or jammed down the throat, because building a character, an inquisitive mind and a lifetime love for learning, aka, the inner drive, is far more important than doing multiplication and division a year or two earlier than peers. If your child is looking for an extremely cutthroat environment where students are kept on their toes for every test to nudge ahead, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a big nurturing family that is focused on long term success and happiness, come here and see for yourself. The class size here is quite small and students very well behaved. The administration is careful in crafting a class of students with comparable temperaments and intellectual capacity. The downside is, some students may not be a good fit and leave disgruntled, hence the bad reviews. The language art program is very rigorous and quite ahead of the pack even among private schools. Math is on track but the real rigor doesn't ramp up until after third grade. The school made a switch to Singapore Math which is an excellent decision. No school is perfect but Oakwood overall offers an excellent value for families seeking a balanced educational exposure for their children. We are not aware of any cliques or issues with other families, the Oakwood community seems rather inclusive. For example, if a child chooses to send out birthday party invitation to his classmate, he must send the invitation to everyone in his class. We like the thoughtfulness of such a policy. Apart from language art program, we are also impressed with Oakwood's performance art programs. The school offers performance opportunities for all grades throughout the year.

I'm surprised and disappointed at a few of the reviews. My son has been at Oakwood for several years now, and it has been a fantastic experience for him. He was a very solid reader by first grade and was reading really well independently. His ECU and elementary teachers have been wonderful--very warm and caring. As an educator myself (a professor who has also taught at the secondary level), I have nothing but praise for Oakwood and its administration, faculty, and staff. The middle school offers far more electives than just "finger knitting" as someone else claimed. If you are going to write a review, be honest. I've never seen a public school with nearly as many electives in middle. French and Spanish are offered, Mandarin and German are offered, there are art classes and digital photography, film classes, ceramics, health and fitness, drama, debate, etc. And yes, I believe there will be robotics this year as well. One thing I love about Oakwood is that many of the middle and high school teachers hold graduate degrees in their field. In fact, all the teachers in the HS English department hold a PhD. The teachers are well-educated and love their subject matter. Oakwood is a terrific school with a caring staff, dedicated administrators, an involved and warm director, and a gorgeous campus to boot. I can't think of any other school in the area where I'd rather send my son.

People come here to live in a fantasyland. One of the last reviewers put it perfectly, you don't get what you pay for.

I have two children at Oakwood School and we could not be more pleased. We came to Oakwood after horrific social and academic experiences at another local private school. Since attending Oakwood my children have grown in every possible way - as scholars, as social beings, as responsible citizens, I could go on and on. My children love going to school each day. The curriculum is engaging and applicable to the global world we live in. They haven been exposed to history, religion, and culture that they would not have otherwise. The parents community is supportive and diverse and the teaching staff is responsive and caring. We feel comfortable discussing our best days or our greatest fears with the administration as needed. In a sense, our whole family goes to Oakwood - not just a place where the kids are dropped off. Overall a stellar environment and a perfect fit for our family.

This school suffers from a bit of EDD - Educational Deficit Disorder. Our children were waaaay behind after moving to a new school. The close to $20K tuition per year is a bad value in the marketplace. The class sizes are really small, too small. It is still a "country" school, even though they have removed this from the name. Our oldest child had a horrible experience of being bullied and singled out. Our concerns were dismissed by the administration and never addressed. In our view, Oakwood lacks the sophistication we wanted for our children in the most important ways - fair treatment, up-to-par curriculum, pedigreed teachers and basic technology. We left for another private school where these expectations are exceeding our hopes and we are SO HAPPY (for half the price)!!! You don't always get what you pay for and we learned the hard way.

My Boys have gone to this school for 6 years. It has been a good "day care service" WE have to supplement the expensive tuition with tutors and teachers for experienced teaching. The biggest Joke was when we hit Middle School and got the list of Electives. FINGER KNITTING, PILL BOX HAT MAKING - not programming, robotics, or even arts.......REALLY?

Oakwood has had a small graduating class until the last year. They regularly have students accepted to Stanford as well as other highly competitive colleges. This gives the school great credibility; their numbers have quickly grown to nearly fifty per class. They've got it all--academics, athletics, arts, and an extremely caring teachers and faculty.

My daughter used to go to Oakwood. We had no concerns at the time. But after she moved up North for high school, we started to realize how much behind she was academically (She was an A student at Oakwood). I felt embarrassed and never shared this experience with people before. But now I'm over with it, and wish this review to help parents like me. Yes, Oakwood has great extracurricular activities. But too much! Plus, all those extracurriculars happen during regular school hour(nothing during afterschool). That left not much time for academics! Somedays, the kids will spend so much class time practicing Drama (they spent a lot of time for Drama, Art class, and PE) then they only spent 5 minutes in math. That is not right! The problem is, the school does not want to address parent concerns. If your child have a issue about the school( not happy etc.) they will response very fast, but if parents want to express some concerns, you can hardly find anyone at school to complain to. The owner is never there (maybe intentional), the principal tries to run around it. To me, I think it's easier to do extracurricular than academics. And easier to please kids than parents.

My child came here last year and loves it! My child has a 504 and the teachers are really understandable. The arts departments is amazing with so many to choose from my child is doing better compared to public schools. I think Oakwood is the best place to go to fit your child.

My experience of this school is not that great. They try to make you think it's great, for its extra-Curricular activities. But it takes a while for parents to realize that these extra-curricular activities are taking too much time from academic teaching times. For at least once or twice a week, my kids will have PE class/drama class longer than their math classes. Sometime their math class was just less than 10 minutes a day. That s ridiculous! They don t care if parents try to complain. They just want to make sure the kids are happy , which means no work. After paying $1700 a month per kid for 6 years, I was very disappointed to see that my kids have a hard time catching up academically when they transferred to Valley Christian for high school. Oakwood is just a big party school. If you want to give your kids an advantage in life, for getting a good education, don't put them in Oakwood.

Last modified Oakwood School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12