I love this school for my children. The teachers are very involved with each child and work hard to make them succeed. Everyday the staff wants to be there. They actually enjoy their jobs and take a lot of pride in their school. (Which is not my experience with the district teachers). the atmosphere is different than at a district school. The kids all get along and if there is an issue the staff is able to resolve it quickly since they have really great staff to student ratio.
This school is focused on academics so there is no sports programs like you wil find at district schools. Therr are plenty of programs city wide that can suppliment, so this is not an issue for our family. The benefits for us far outweigh the crowded schools with students slipping through the cracks and overworked teachers. Flex also iffers college classes to the high schoolers so by the time they graduate they can potentially earn their associates and get a jump on their higher education.
Anyone who is even thinking about this schools, I highly encourage you just to come tour.
My son started in 6th grade and now in 10th. It does take a bit for the students to get used to the way things are done here but well worth it in the end. Have an open mind and support your student with a great learning experience. Great faculty, great parent involvement, great learning experience for your student.
Best school ever! Great staff and caring teachers. My son loves going here. It's flexible and challenging which is great for him as he's an advanced student. On the other end is my daughter who usually struggles with school and hates going. She says this is the best school she's ever attended. She loves her teachers, the environment and the school community. There is no bullying at this school and the kids genuinely care about one another.
Because the school now is offering COLLEGE COURSES through Foothill college, my son is able to earn college credits before he even graduates! And what's better than FREE college courses with no out of pocket costs to us? Lastly, I must add that the school has an awesome special education department that is in house and on site EVERY DAY! No other school in the district has this.
My daughter just started mid-year 8th grade at Flex and the administration and teachers have been amazing! I have paid for private school for years and this is 10X better. The special attention and skills/level based learning is perfect for my advanced daughter. She is no longer bored!
Yes, this year parents and students were invited to attend an anti-bullying event where we learned not only how not to be a bully but also how to intervene peacefully to prevent bullying. It was great!
The student-teacher ratio is so good that there are plenty of opportunities to teach the kids how to develop good habits. On my daughter's first day and at her first assembly, I witnessed the staff instructing the former students on how to welcome and help the new students, complete with how to introduce themsevles and what to do to help others.
I have a daughter at Flex and my son will be starting at Flex next year. So far, I feel like we're getting a private-school experience, for none of the cost. Here's why:
1. The student-teacher ration can't be beat!
2. The grounds are stunning: marble entry-way, sky light, arboretum, beautiful bathrooms, bright lunch room. Each child gets their own computer and cubicle where they keep their things.
3. Flex can accomodate gifted students as well as special needs students, as well as anyone in between.
4. There is a real zero bullying policy and bullying is a thing of the past for us.
5. They offer state-of-the art technology. Students do half of their work online, and the other half is offline with a teacher. It's the best of both worlds.
6. There are plenty of after school clubs and programs: robotics, manga, french, spanish and more...
7. The staff, teachers and principal are super caring. This is very different from what we've experienced with other public schools.
8. When students get their grades up, they get rewarded with fantastic field trips: Google, Paypal, Intel, Stanford Univ., San Jose Univ., Aviation Museum, Tech Museum, etc. This really motivates kids and inspires them to go to college.
9. Ms. Wood is a former teacher who really cares about her students and it shows. She is a very positive individual and her attitude is felt throughout the entire school.
My son started 7th grade at Flex and is thriving in this learning environment! He is engaged and the small classroom size is excellent for him as he can get distracted easily. He loves that he gets a weekly plan and they break out into different working groups depending on the needs of the student. Tests are taken on-line so parents can see results immediately and track progress. They also have great clubs - one of which he really likes called "enrichment club" where they take field trips to educational places even silicon valley businesses. My son plays sports after school and thus he is able to schedule in homework around his weekly schedule. This is a free, public charter school located in Morgan Hill!