Mountain View, CA

Posted November 14, 2014
I have 2 kids attending Monta Loma (K and 2) and we have had all great teachers since starting 2 years ago. If you are reading this site for reviews you likely have dug into test scores for other MV schools. Hopefully you will have noticed that a school's API is really determined by school demographics and not teacher quality. Monta Loma has an excellent teaching staff and a great principal in Angela Lyon, they just have a higher proportion of kids who fall into the category of historically under-performing than the higher API schools in MV. That being said, the kids of college-educated parents will still find Monta Loma an excellent place to send their kids where they will be challenged and their API's will be the same as there counterparts at other schools. The teachers group and teach students based on ability for specific subjects to challenge those at the higher-end and also to serve those who need more help. Monta Loma also does a great job teaching community and emotional intelligence to the kids. There is a plan underway to increase project-based learning so Monta Loma is well-positioned to become an even stronger school.

Posted March 19, 2014
I have been a teacher at Monta Loma for 8 years now and I consider myself very lucky. In the past 20 years I have taught at 3 other schools. This staff is by far the most collaborative, compassionate and hard working that I have ever worked with. The school has a caring and compassionate vibe, not just from the staff but also from the students and families. Our school community is very diverse and we have students from all walks of life. I am so fortunate to work at Monta Loma.

Posted January 22, 2014
I came to Monta Loma 4 years ago but have known about it and its programs for more than 10 years. It has improved tremendously in that time. The teachers and staff are welcoming and friendly. The principal has a balanced approach to academics and school climate. She works to make sure everyone is welcome. She recently came to Moffet Field and spent two hours with the military families. We have special concerns and she gave her time and energy to make our experience positive. I saw some of the previous posts and I have to disagree with the one about the special ed staff. I have found them very knowledgeable and caring.

Posted December 12, 2013
My daughter is a 1st grader at this school and we have been thrilled with the teaching staff and administration as well as the sense of community fostered. While it is true, there is a supremely diverse demographic, it's wonderful and my daughter has thrived learning about all the various ethnicities represented and has become friends with so many children from all different backgrounds (something my husband and I think is actually quite important). The teachers do a marvelous job. I've become active in the PTA and I've learned so much about how these teachers and administration go above and beyond for our kids every single day. I am proud to call Monta Loma our school and look forward to sending my youngest daughter (who has special needs) to school here next year. I believe Angela Lyon is a fantastic principal - very communicative and involved. The parent involvement isn't as good as it could be and I know language is a barrier (though the PTA makes every effort to provide translators), but all in all, I feel very satisfied with the environment of the school. I know my daughter is safe and in capable hands every weekday and look forward to many more years to come at Monta Loma!

Posted September 23, 2013
My son started going to Kindergarten at Monta Loma from this year. It's been one month and so far I liked it. There are several ways parents can contribute in Kid's classes and learning. The Kindergarten teachers are very involved with kids and work hard (I was in a couple of classes to experience this). We get weekly progress report from the teacher. We get all the work that our kid did for the whole week, regularly. It looks like teacher checks them thoroughly and comments where needed. PTA is very involved and they do a lot of activities year around. Overall, I am impressed and got better than what I was expecting.

Monta Loma Elementary School 1

Posted June 17, 2013
I've been very unhappy with this principal. She doesn't bother to learn kids' names and isn't personable or friendly. Mostly gives the impression she's just clocking it in. This is a school with some serious challenges in terms of its population of English learners and I just don't think the leadership is up to the task.

Monta Loma Elementary School 1

Posted May 16, 2013
The teachers are okay. The principal leadership could be improved. She is not involved enough and does not know the students as well as she should. I feel a lot of the the kids that attend Monta Loma are not taught morals and what is right and wrong in regards to behavior. The kids seem to be 'fast' when it comes to behaviors that you would normally see teenagers. There have been a lot issues with a lot of different kids, especially when they are playing outside at the school, with inappropriate behavior. I don't think there is enough supervision for the kids. The classrooms size is large and a lot of the kids do not speak english which seems to take away the level of education for those who do speak english.

Posted April 17, 2013
We love Monta Loma and all the teachers! My daughter had Mrs. Higgins in first, Mrs. Shah in second, and Mrs. Fetroe in third-all AMAZING teachers! We hope our son and daughters have the same teachers in the years to come! Great new principal-very friendly and attentive! You are the biggest advocate for your child and if you ask, these teachers will go out of their way to deliver.

Monta Loma Elementary School 3

Posted March 05, 2013
I have a child in kinder at Monta Loma and I have to say that I'm not very impressed. My child's teacher is a disorganized mess and it doesn't help that she's overwhelmed by the 27 students in her class. She keeps asking for assistance in the class but a majority of the parents don't speak english so they are unable to help out in the class room. The campus is also difficult for pick up and drop off.

Posted October 04, 2012
I am the parent of a special needs child. I came here from Sunnyvale two years ago and have been so impressed by the staff. The special ed teachers know me and my child by name and are always going out of their way to let me know about my child's successes. The teachers here are top rate. I am so lucky to have my son attend Monta Loma. He loves going to school every day which is so much more than I can say for our old school.

Monta Loma Elementary School
460 Thompson Avenue, Mountain View, CA  94043
Last modified Monta Loma Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Monta Loma Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top