8-12|Private

Bad
Good

For some, Palo Alto Prep. might be the answer to their problems. For others, Palo Alto Prep. can cause additional unwanted problems. My child came here as there were some bullying issues at her school. At Palo Alto Prep. she escaped from the bullying as they truly do not tolerate it. Unfortunately, the majority of the children at this school were there because they had problems more severe than being subjected to bullying. The children my child encountered had drug problems, had been in the juvenile justice system, and continued to use drugs. She became involved in drugs at this school. I am not saying this wouldn't have happened at another school but there was definitely a high percentage of drug users at this school. Be careful when enrolling and consider the characteristics of the student body. The teachers were wonderful. The administration seemed concerned about student welfare but it seemed fake. I always felt that they were more concerned about tuition payment than about my daughters welfare. They also have an agreement where tuition is not refundable so if you have to remove a child from this school be prepared to lose a sizeable amount of cash.

My son has just graduated from Palo Alto Prep and is currently enrolled at Foothill College. This school has been an incredible experience for all of us, my son in particular, and it happened at a time when my son had suffered rejection from the public schools and gone through experiences that had left him depressed and with low self esteem. Going to PAP a new world opened up for him, he felt included and understood and the nurturing environment allowed him to make connections with peers and teachers alike. The school has a young, vibrant faculty, and all the teachers have been friendly and extremely helpful to my son, they have travelled together across the world during their yearly trips oversea and we as a family will be forever grateful to PAP for the great place it was for my son to spend four wonderful years.He has grown emotionally and he is no longer the traumatized kid that came from the public school system, thanks to Palo Alto Prep.

"My older son has serious anxiety issues that resulted in avoiding school and all social situations. Palo Alto Prep made my son feel like he found a school where he belonged. Their teachers are top notch and work with each student to accommodate different learning styles. The administration worked closely with our family and my son to ensure that he graduated and that he has options for a bright future. Every family who has a child struggling to "fit in" at their local high school should consider Palo Alto Prep. It is a safe learning environment where individuality is encouraged not ridiculed."

Not all who apply to Palo Alto Prep are accepted; the admissions team makes a concerted effort to find students who need what PAP offers, have something to offer & who will fit in with the student body. Public schools must take all comers (initially); PAP students are hand picked. My son attended Palo Alto Prep his junior and senior years. He was happy there. Having built a strong academic and personal base at the private school he attended between public school and Palo Alto Prep, he continued to flourish and maintained an excellent GPA at PAP. He benefited from the smaller, more intimate campus and student body. At PAP, parents have multiple opportunities yearly to confer with teachers, ensuring that progress is acknowledged and other issues addressed and brainstormed to maximize the potential for success. PAP offers school-led field trips that included Italy, Poland, Germany, white water rafting, kayaking in the Monterey Bay, and skiing at Lake Tahoe in the last two years. All schools pay lip service to a "No Bullying Policy" - my experience is that of 4 public & 1 private school and PAP, ONLY at Palo Alto Prep is that policy taught and enforced. Lauren (a parent)

Our son is a bright and articulate child, with no learning issues. However, he was not happy in his public high school, seemed bored, unmotivated & certainly not performing to his full potential. He went to PAP as a sophomore & has really done well. The teachers at PAP are a wonderful group of caring educators. The small class size helped him in 2 ways. In math and science, which are not his strongest subjects, he has improved greatly as the teachers are able to devote the time it takes to make sure the kids fully understand the material. English and History are his strongest subjects, and in this (especially English), his teacher took the initiative to work on material outside of the curriculum, at a higher level, so that he was not bored! Thanks PAP!

They promise a lot at the beginning but following through is a whole other issue for them. It took ALOT of nagging for them to even read my sons IEP!

I am the parent of a student who transferred to Palo Alto Prep as a sophomore, has just graduated, and is going to Calpoly in the fall. PAP has small classes, and their dedicated teachers are able to go from firming up the basics, to advanced topics. Smiles and enthusiasm permeate the school. They have a rock band, do all sorts of fun trips (ski, backpacking, rafting, abroad, etc), and recently moved into new facilities. The staff has a patient and encouraging attitude accross the board, and the students are friendly and accepting of differences. Kids who might have floundered elsewhere, in this environment grow emotionally and academically. I am very happy with the process and the outcome!

Palo Alto Prep was a wonderful, life-changing experience that has given me an opportunity I would not have found anywhere else. Next week I am graduating and in the fall I will be attending Cal Poly SLO. If it weren't for the unique and eclectic learning environment Palo Alto Prep provided me, where I was able to thrive and succeed in a multitude of ways, I would not be the person I am today.

I am a parent. My son transferred from Palo Alto High on his Sophomore year. He was down, discouraged and had lacked confidence at PALY. PAP has put a lot of effort and time in building my son's confidence back both personal and academics. Today he is accepted to one of the top universities, he is a soccer player, he speaks a new language. He is a happy, positive individual with a bright future. We could not have achieved this without the support of PAP and the wonderful teachers who have been a teacher, a mentor and a friend. I am grateful to PAP.

My son has been at Palo Alto Prep (PAP) for two years and is now entering his Junior year. I can't even begin to express what a positive difference PAP has made in his life on the academic, social and emotional level. My son has a progressive neuromuscular disorder called Charcot-Marie-Tooth, which does not affect intelligence, but definitely affects his physical body. Grade school years proved to be challenging due to the fact that he felt different than his peers. So when I called PAP for the first time, I was relieved to know that the Admissions officer not only was familiar with CMT, but encouraged us to visit the school. We immediately felt accepted and welcomed by staff and student body. As a parent, it is a great relief to know that my son is happy, academically challenged, physically comfortable and making friends for life. An awesome experience.

Last modified Palo Alto Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades 8-12