2-8|Private

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They are all specifically trained in the Slingerland Approach which addresses language arts (reading , spelling and writing) in a multisensory fashion. This approach is vital for dyslexics and is what is lacking from every other curriculum currently being implemented in our local schools.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework is only assigned when necessary as the focus is on multisensory instruction. This allows the students to play and relax in the afternoon after a long day of hard work. I feel that is vital for these kids who work an average of ten times harder than an average student.

My son attended six schools including Stratford and Prince of Peace as well as two Fremont public schools before he was diagnosed with dyslexia. Stellar Academy is the most local school that could teach him the correct way for him to succeed. After two and a half years here, he is back in public middle school and is doing excellent. He is reading novels and is completing lengthy homework assignments without issue. I can not thank Stellar Academy and its fabulous team of teachers for their excellent work! What I love most about the school is how they teach the students at their ability level rather than their grade level. My son began in a first grade reading group and ended in a sixth grade reading group after only two and a half years. The kids move through each group at their independent ability level and the team is always reassessing their placement. It allowed my son to gain confidence and work harder to continue to move up. That confidence has carried over to his writing as well and if you asked me three years ago if my son would ever be able to write an essay, I would have said no. In public school on the first day, he wrote three pages in beautiful cursive. I am a very proud parent! I encourage prospective parents/grandparents to visit the school and see the environment first-hand. It is truly a special place for these amazing, bright students.

After attending Stellar for just one year, including 2 summer camps, we know that we have found a place that is truly making a difference for our son. The other day I overheard my son's response to his friends question regarding why he changed schools.My son's reply went something like this "Well, I wasn't learning anything. I have dyslexia. It is more of a learning difference than a disability. The school I am at now teaches me in a way I can learn. Now I want to learn." My heart just swelled up with happiness! To hear my son say that he wants to learn is like music to my ears! That is exactly what I was hoping would happen. We are looking forward to another great year!

We discovered our son was dyslexic in kindergarten. He attended Stellar Academy from 1st through 6th grade. We were hopeful that the Slingerland teaching method was what he needed. Many nights there were tears as he struggled to learn the Slingerland method. When he returned to public school in 7th grade; he knew how to utilize his skills, which gave him confidence and allowed him to succeed in academics. In high school he played baseball and soccer and achieved the Presidential award for maintaining honor roll grades while participating in athletics. As parents, in the beginning, we hoped our son would graduate from high school. He not only graduated from high school, but he went on to get his Bachelor degree and is currently pursuing a Master's of Science. I bless Stellar Academy and the staff of angels that helped our son learn how to accomplish anything he set his mind to.

My daughter attended Stellar after she refused to get out of our car to attend another day of 3rd grade in her public school. Long story short, she made 4 years growth in her 2 years at Stellar, and she is continuing the upward curve. She is currently in honors English as a freshman in High School. More important to me, she has her self pride back. She wants to teach Slingerland someday as well as be a vet :-) Our family owes a lot to the wonderful staff at Stellar. K-3rd in our fabulous neighborhood school just never would have taught my daughter to read. PS I'm in San Jose and thru Stellar coordinated carpool with a family in Campbell. I can't think of Stellar without smiling and feeling relief that we stumbled upon them.

Our two daughters attended Stellar Academy for 3 and 5 years each. Stellar offers a personalized multisensory approach to learning that the public school were not able to accommodate. The staff at Stellar is supportive and committed to the success of the students. We were fortunate to have found this opportunity so relatively close to our home. Compared to the other private schools specializing in teaching dyslexic kids, Stellar offers the best value while maintaining high academic standards. Our daughter recently graduated from public high school. During high school she used the tools she learned at Stellar and advocated for herself in her classes and the annual IEP meetings. In her senior year she was on the honor roll while still being active in sports. Of the 7 university's she applied to, she was accepted at 6. Additionally she received scholarships from the PTSA, Faculty and CSEA as well as several other achievement awards. She recently started college and looks forward to a successful new chapter in her life. Thank you Stellar for providing her the support and learning environment to prepare her for her future.

I am the parent of a child that graduated from Stellar 2 yrs ago. My daughter started at Stellar in the 3rd grade and she was so shy and so unsure of herself. In the 6 yrs that she attended Stellar I saw my insecure little girl transform to a very confident and self assured young lady. The teachers as well as the staff could see the change in her. The staff and teachers especially Marlene, Mrs. Roberts and former teacher Mrs. Roush will always hold a special place in my heart. The tuition might seem like a lot but it is well worth it when you see such a transformation in your child. My daughter now sees her dyslexia as a gift and not a curse. Thank you Stellar Academy for everything you did for my daughter and so many that have come before and after her.

Our son attended Stellar for 2 full school years in first and second grade including 2 years of summer camp as well. With a Slingerland based education he has made tremendous made gains that have changed the course of his young life. We are very grateful that Stellar Academy was there for him. If your child struggles with language, the Slingerland Method is the best gift you can give your child. Also, the staff really loves these kids and works to see them reach their full potential. The Slingerland Institute website was very helpful to us when we were learning about a Slingerland Method education. http://www.slingerland.org/

This is a private school which serves dyslexic students. They go to the school for two to four years, then back to their regular school. We had a very good experience there.

Last modified Stellar Academy For Dyslexics is a Private school that serves grades 2-8