Posted February 10, 2014
My kids love this school, teachers care about the kids academics, good curriculum, everybody is treated with respect and equality by staff. Love it! more parent involvent needed.

Dr. J. Michael Mcgrath Elementary School 4

Posted August 30, 2013
My son is new to the school but so far I feel that the teachers care about the students...I lookforward to the next 3 year's.

Posted September 24, 2012
My daughter started at McGrath last year for first grade. The teacher's are awesome!!! My daughter loves her school. Mr. Heath, the principal, strives to make McGrath the best school. They have a great music program.

Posted June 26, 2011
Okay, I attend this school when itfirst opened and was pretty inpressed with the location. I had two teacher, I can only recall Mrs. Cape and thats it I do remember how bog the school was and clean it was, also a straff member that wprked their was my friends mom so it felt good there. Problem was some staff like yard duties where unwatchful and dodnt pay any attention to the children. I know these because while I was there I wasnt so nice. Also once in the restroom a girl feel and the yard duty had me take her to the nurse. The nurse was very angry and took her hand an pulled her away from me. I never meet this girl but I cloud tell she was scared and after the nurse yelled at me for staying with her told me to get out. She didn't want me to leace her alone with the nurse. I moved though in less then 3 months, no because of the school but because I moved to another town. Education there was good and fun to learn also students were kind to each other and pollite.

Dr. J. Michael Mcgrath Elementary School 4

Posted August 08, 2010
Good points: Very clean and well maintained school. Teachers are fantastic and care about the school and children. The administration is good with their budget and use their dollars for the kids. Great music program. Great class sizes. Bad points: Rules are too strict and kids are expected to be cookie cutters, not individuals. Nurse always seams to be the one on the phone and her English speaking abiliities are sub-par. Some yard duties don't care about the kids, can be neglectful or just pass the problems to the VP/teachers to deal with rather than acting appropriately to avoid or fix an issue (although Mr. Michael is fantastic and really loves the kids). There seems to be a new VP every year. Not the schools fault: Woeful lack of parent involvement. Terrible socio-economic area.

Dr. J. Michael Mcgrath Elementary School 2

Posted August 04, 2010
We're new to the area so I began the registration process full of high hopes. Unfortunately, the experience has not been friendly or very welcoming. I brought the info req. only to find out other reg. materials were required and I only had a few days before school began to complete the task. I did try and reg. a few weeks earlier but was turned away and told to return 1 week before classes began. Also, annoying was the VP yelling answers from behind her desk never making eye contact. Not very polite or welcoming. There was very little info available for me such as simple school supply list, dress code info, or a map of the campus. Upon returning with the added paperwork I was struck by how all of the workers behind the desk only spoke Spanish. I'm hoping our next exp. is more positive.

Posted March 04, 2010
My children started attending McGrath two years ago and I am very pleased with how much they have learned. I read the previous reviews from parents and I couldn't disagree more. Yes they do seem to have many students that are learning English however the teachers that we've had do a great job making sure all student needs are met. They have my students in reading groups based upon their reading levels and spend a lot of extra time teaching extended day and intersession to help students that need extra time. I couldn't be happier!

Posted August 28, 2007

Posted July 01, 2007
I could not agree more a great deal of time is wasted in the class room on interpreting I beleive my child is slipping through the cracks of this arrangement she will not be attending Mc grath next fall. This school is great other than this issue they need to put in place a test that requires a child to know a basic level of english or be put in an ESL class, in order to not rob the english speaking students of their fair chance on a quality education. I also think that there should be an after school program, I was told there is one in place for 4th grade and up. I for one beleive that an after school prg. would greatly benefit the children that do not speak english and those children are usually in the primary grades!

Posted October 05, 2006
There are students attending this school that do not speak basic English. This is obviously an issue for the teachers who have to spend extra time with these students, as well as the non Spanish speaking students who miss out on time with the teachers. The school has hired a 'community liaison' who acts as an interpreter at school meetings. As a part of this program, the school district has had to purchase a set of wireless 'broadcast system' for the interpreter to use during these meetings. The teachers seem great, but they are being put in a difficult situation because there are no real checks to ensure that students and parents are ready for their children to attend school. And no, I am not racist. I just believe that we need Spanish to be a class in school, not the language spoken in school.

Dr. J. Michael Mcgrath Elementary School
21501 Deputy Jake Way, Newhall, CA  91321
Last modified Dr. J. Michael Mcgrath Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dr. J. Michael Mcgrath Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top