Newport Beach, CA

Posted November 16, 2014
Couldn't have asked for a better experience. I feel very fortunate to have been able to attend this school. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the few negative comments here (and especially the one with the obvious, purposeful misspellings) were from people who don't even attend.

Posted October 17, 2014
Greatest decision going to Sage. I transferred to Sage my sophomore year, and previously had only had a public school education experience. I am extremely happy with my choice, and transferring schools was hands down the best decision of my life. At Sage we celebrate really every kind of person, and yes of course there are social groups made up of those with similar interests. That being said, I 100% refute the claim made down below claiming that Sage is a "rich-kid school" that ostracizes others. I myself am not of a high socio-economic status, but I can safely say that I am close friends with probably 99% of my grade. At Sage we receive an academic education, but more importantly we receive life education. Compared to students from other schools (where I know many people), Sage students have a general respect for each other and for faculty and administration, along with a true intellectual vitality. Of course every person, regardless of his/her school has the ability to be respectful and be intellectually invested in something, but Sage Hill is a school that catalyzes these attributes early on. I absolutely love Sage and I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering it.

Posted June 01, 2014
I'm more than pleased with all of my experiences at Sage Hill. The academics are strong across every department. The teachers are well versed in their subject areas, and some seem to have a ton of knowledge in multiple disciplines. The new science building looks awesome, and my science teachers have been wonderful. I notice some social circles, but I disagree that things are so segregated as described in the other review. There are endless opportunities to get involved and to make close friends. It is what you make of it.

Sage Hill 3

Posted May 18, 2014
I came to Sage solely for academics. The teachers here are smart and supporting with the exception of a few. Our science department is mediocre and barely prepare you for getting a 3 on an AP exam. Most of the other departments are decent. Social life at Sage is terrible. The minorities, who are basically the Mexicans at our school hang out together, ostracized by the "rich" kids at our school. The hippies and the "not rich kids" based off of Sage's definition of rich hang out together. Then the rich kids hang out together. Basically, if you're rich, you're set. I feel this is the perfect example to share a quote said by a freshman. "Why would you drive a Prius to save gas. It's such a cheap car".

Sage Hill 4

Posted April 06, 2014
I genuinely looked forward to going to school here. All my teachers were very caring. My classes were VERY challenging, but possible with all the support and help from teachers. There are COUNTLESS opportunities to get involved in things and make friends. The only negative thing is that it is a small school, so socially, you are stuck with anyone you don't like for a while. MANY of the kids are BEYOND privileged and have no value of money or sense of reality, so this can be a challenge for many kids, but overall a great experience.

Posted November 18, 2013
I have genuinely never looked forward to going to school until I came to Sage. The academic program is excellent, as detailed by the reviews below so I won't go too much more into that. The only problem that comes with such a one-on-one education and hands-on environment is that the small size of your grade can get a liiitttle old sometimes... but it works itself out because the community (yes, I used that dreaded word) is very in synch and members of different grades constantly socialize with each other. I love (almost) everyone I have met at Sage, and it has truly a diverse student body. Not to mention the beautiful campus, which one would think would not make a huge impact on a student's experience, but it DOES. Everyone has those days that are a little off, but when my surroundings resemble something of a five-star resort, it's hard to stay down. I am graduating this year as part of the class of 2014, and I will definitely miss being a "Sager!"

Posted August 02, 2012
As a parent I could not be happier with how I have seen my son mature and develop at Sage Hill, in every aspect of his life. He was always a good student but his writing has vastly improved and a life-long dislike of math was completely turned around by one phenomenal Geometry teacher. The coaches inspired him to play sports that he'd never tried and he has come to love participating on Sage Hill teams. Surprisingly he also really enjoyed his experience with the arts program (there is a 2 year requirement), something I never would have expected, and again, it was teachers with a passion for the arts who made the difference. He has also had a great social experience and met friends from diverse backgrounds and all different ages (it is nice to that at a small school students from different grade levels socialize together.) No school is perfect, and Sage Hill has its issues like any other, but they do seem to try to help you deal with problems that arise. Overall, I am extremely satisfied that we chose Sage Hill.

Sage Hill 4

Posted July 31, 2012
Graduated in June. Lots to say about Sage Hill! Academic program is designed so that teachers and "advisors" are to keep a close eye on every student which is great for students who struggle w/ issues like organization, time management, or simply not keeping up with the rigorous class material. "Conferences" were wonderful because it allowed me to have the option of 1 on 1 teacher help and also forced on me the responsibility of keeping in touch w/them. This aspect shaped a lot of how interactive I will be with my professors in college. In addition, advisors acted as an extra eye to not pamper students but give a sort of extra guidance if needed. As for its college counseling program, Sage is extremely well known for sending students to top schools in the nation (6 of 97 seniors went to Stanford). The program never fails to give students & parents unrelenting support and guidance thru the whole process (a big component is the college counselor to student ratio is 1:37). As for athletics, Sage is in the worst league in the OC (Academy league) although it has 3 CIF team titles and 3 CIF individual champs. Why I give 4 stars: social life sucks. Girls AND boys are spoiled brats.

Posted July 09, 2012
I love Sage!! Sage has helped me grow as a learner and as a person.

Sage Hill 1

Posted February 08, 2012
Great campus, but some teachers seem to lack full knowledge of what they know and seem not to follow a specific curriculum, which makes the teaching slightly sloppy. Teachers are not monitored on their teaching and they seem to forget to teach necessary things needed for college. Math is WAY far behind other schools and is very unadvanced with a very slow learning pace. Public schools taught algebra one for seventh-graders and what i learned in one year of algebra one was taught in algebra one and two at Sage, essentially making algebra 2 the second half of algebra 2. The placement test is very inaccurate and will usually lead your child into taking the same math class a second year. Sports wise, all of the coaches are great. Also, the teachers even though helpful at times, seem to run on their own schedule for extra help even though the school "says" the education is oriented towards the student. There is freedom at Sage, but at the same time the staff always over reacts to small situations and makes them big because they are so oriented towards their image. The school is very oriented on getting donations and will do anything to get them even at the expense of their students.

Sage Hill