Bad
Good

Our daughter is in 9th and just completed 7 & 8 there. Its such a mixed bag. Our daughter is outright gifted as well as very well adjusted so she does fine (straight A+'s in their most advanced classes) but we are constantly appalled at the lack of recognition and encouragement by the teaching staff. As an example; at the 8th grade promotion, they didn't even bother mentioning the "Honors", or even print it on the diploma. Instead, she quietly got a metal she picked up following the ceremony. In fact; their actions are often outright discouraging! We can only imagine how difficult it must be for the "regular kids". I swear; they hand out zeroes like candy, sometimes unwarranted, often un-reconcilable. There are a few stand-out exceptions such as Mr Ball (Choir - a treasure of a teacher), Mr Brudy (English, what an inspiration), and I forget her Science 7th grade teacher's name, endlessly encouraging. In sports. They only care about winning. Period! If your kid made the team but isn't on the A list, prepare to have them "excluded" (benched) a lot! That's not what cherrished memories are made of. The Accelerated Math is run by a guy who scoffs at all existing text books and therefore, there are none! Yes, they are expected to learn 2 years of advanced math in one year without a text! If our daughter weren't IQ 165 with a perfect memory, I really don't know how she'd do it. He actually reprimanded her once for taking a photo of the white board prior to class ending (when its blocked). All that said; they have some fantastic pluses. They do have great sports facilities and opportunities. Many graduates get full sports scholarships. We hear track program is more about participation than win at all costs. Their online homework and grade monitoring solution is a dream come true! The area is very safe and the PTA is highly involved. Many perks come from the huge donations. Some of their teachers, as mentioned, are just exceptional. The kind that movies are made of. I think these are all typical of any high school so I rank it 3 stars, "average".

Our two kids went to CdM the entire way through and both hated it. Cruel, clicky students who only care about social status, narrow-minded teachers who could care less about students wholistic well-being and are only into testing and grades, many drug abusing, entitled students driving BMWs and MZBs, etc. Avoid at all costs.

I am a senior of CDMHS, thankfully have only been here for 3 years instead of the regular 6 years at this school. There is no diversity, the students are cruel evil creatures and will do anything and everything to maintain their social status. Academically very challenging because the curriculum is so much more advanced than other high schools around the country. The news is always here covering the cheating scandals, prom drafts, etc.. Terrible high school coming from a student who isn't socially challenged or a 'Narnian' as called by other students from all high surrounding high schools including CDM. Go to harbor, it's better. Socially and academically. You won't be sorry.

The school is great. I enjoyed going there. I was really saddened when I was transferred to Etiwanda High school. CDM is academically high compared to other schools. The teacher are great. They help you any time you ask for it. They are really proactive they hate it when students are not doing anything. At first I though of it as an announce but after coming to Etiwanda high school I understand why they did. I highly recommend this school.

I love CdM, because it's a community school, and living in Newport Beach, the kids that I've grown up with on my street are the kids in my classes here. Sports are a big enough deal to be really fun if you're interested, but there are lots of other ways to get involved, like clubs (Best Buddies!) and the four leadership groups. Academics are good, but not great. Freshman year is pretty rough. It goes uphill from there, but the freshmen and middle schoolers generally get stuck with the bad teachers. And insider tip: if you're planning on taking honors bio, try and get in with janet dichiro - over 90% of the class does her study group, and it fills up really quickly! You'll want it, because the teachers have no clue what they're talking about. Most of the classes are pretty good, but there are little tips like the honors bio study group for everything. If you put in the effort, you can get what you need. That said, you can also skate by pretty easily if that's your objective.

i think this school gets a superficial rating based on it's location. I warn parents of children entering from many of the really solid elementary schools into this program. the touting of their academics is based on a philosophy of teaching by fear rather than teaching by encouragement. This may be a wonderful school if you have a child with disciplinary issues however if you have a child that generally follows rules and behaves they will be subject to the harsh scare tactic methods. The teachers are sub-standard and the students are generally out of control.

I graduated from this school, and now my daughter is entering 9th grade, after 2 years of (same campus) CdM Jr.Hi. academically, it is great, however a child's "education" is not all about grades. the school is RUN by parents who are wealthy & as spoiled & undisciplined as their kids. There have been numerous scandals (check the news) resulting in NO (or minimal) consequences for the serious offenses committed by popular or athlete students. teachers who are expect discipline & accountability are bullied by the parents, while lazy ones lauded. We just had BOTH the principal & VP give notice, in the same week. you need to seriously weigh your priorities before choosing this school...

We have never been so disappointed by a public school before. We have lived in many different states and thought that Newport Beach, California would offer our daughter a decent education. We were so wrong. Please note that we are talking about the Middle School here. The teachers are uncaring and unprepared. The principal never responds to our issues, despite endless letters and e-mails of complaint. From the very first day at the school, Ms. Bloomfield (Algebra) was purposefully unhelpful and unkind to our daughter. It was such a negative experience for us at CdM that we withdrew our daughter before the end of the year was over. Not only that, but we've all decided that she is not ready for high school and so we will do 8th grade all over again (with a mix of homeschooling along the way). By trade I am a public school teacher and I have never been so confused by the actions of the majority of adults at CdM. Let's just say that they are all too happy not to be able to help you in any way. A grave mistake we made choosing CdM. Would not recommend it for any Middle School aged child.

Horrible acidemics and unfriendly students. Citizens of Corona del Mar couldn't be any more socially uninviting, and the cost of living is way too high. Stay away from this area if possible, it may as well be in hell.

I really enjoyed this school socially speaking, because of the large student body, there was a group of friends for every student to join and eat with during lunch or break. The education quality was also not too shabby, to say the least. My only gripe with this school was the bullying I experienced throughout.

Last modified Corona Del Mar High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.