Newport Beach, CA
Students enrolled: 1,159

Horace Ensign Intermediate School 1

Posted June 21, 2014
I would give it negative stars but it is not option. I went there and so did my kids. Some of the teachers are very responsive some are not. It is very hard to get EVERYONE on the same page. Some of the administration don't deal with children the correct way and just assume kid is lazy or bad rather than trying to understand what is going on especially one that needed special education and I had to get an advocate to get him tested. When I went the bullying problem was horrendous, and when my son went it was even worse. SOME of the administration don't know what to do with the problem and with the kids who are doing the bullying. The anti-bullying campaign they are using isn't working and they need to find another way to address the problem other than turning it on the victim or just blowing it off. The two worst years of my life were there and the two worst years so far of my son's life were there. You would think something had improved?

Horace Ensign Intermediate School 1

Posted May 05, 2014
I hate going to Ensign. Eighth grade honors english is ridiculously pointless, because I am learning the same concepts as I did in seventh grade with Mrs. Cross, but in a worse and far more confusing way. Honors english teacher is unorganized and I notice she is often asking us "Is this helping you?" as if she thought of the lesson five minutes before class. I have a friend who once TA'd for her in a separate period from her own. She said that it was like a whole different class between the two (in the same day). Few good teachers, but some include Ms. Rain, Mr. Harrell, Mrs. Rush, Mrs. Cross, and a few more that I have heard about, but do not have myself. Very disappointed with atmosphere here. I myself fall victim of being too self obsessed at times but most white kids have psychological issues with being too confident in themselves. Programs developed to "end bullying" do not help atmosphere at all. In fact they just draw attention to a dying epidemic (I'm hesitant to even call it that) and waste students time. Renaissance program to reward good grades is not motivating at all. Most teachers either unenthusiastic or annoyingly overenthusiastic. I have hated my time here so much.

Posted October 25, 2013
The staff and teachers at Ensign are dedicated and very inventive. We like the Life Skills Class for 7th grade elective. The chior and all of the clubs are great too. Wonderful school. My daughter is doing very well at Ensign this year.

Posted March 04, 2013
My son has always done well in school however, math was an issue. While math is even harder this year, being in 7th grade, he is getting an A!!! In fact, he is excelling in every class. I love his teachers, they are attentive and challenging. So far, this school has been very good to my son.

Horace Ensign Intermediate School 3

Posted August 22, 2012
My child attended both 7th & 8th grade here. While the teachers were decent and some were great there is a huge bullying problem. In addition to the bullying issues the administration, on the whole, handles issues in a very unprofessional manner. I can't name names here, but you will quickly learn which VP is effective and humane and which is on a power trip. Sadly despite being in a wealthy area with financial resources this school is only average, largely do to it's poor social policies and not so much the intentions of the teachers.

Posted July 24, 2012
The teachers are constantly paying attention to students and trying their best to give them a perfect learning experience. Any student that fails is not trying their hardest to get an acceptable grade in their class. Sorry.

Posted April 02, 2012
My son is thriving at Ensign! The teachers have shown awareness of his abilities and needs and have been responsive to my requests. A very good middle school!

Posted April 20, 2009
Absolutely fantastic! Excellent and challenging learning environment. Steve McLaughlin, the new principal is incredible, and the teachers are outstanding. Our daughter is an eighth-grader, just about o graduate and go on to Harbor High. We've had two fantastic years at Ensign - couldn't imagine how it could have been better. she's learned so much!

Posted April 18, 2009
grat school.teachers are very good vat getting the point to children

Posted April 14, 2009
My child attends this school and it has helped her go from a D- all the way to an A+ she transferred from Tiwinkle located in Costa Mesa. She loves Ensign!

Horace Ensign Intermediate School
2000 Cliff Drive, Newport Beach, CA  92663
Last modified Horace Ensign Intermediate School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horace Ensign Intermediate School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top