Bad
Good

Mariner's Elementary is not only rated as one of the top educational environments in Orange County it is also warm and inviting. As a new parent to the school I have found the teachers and support staff open, friendly and available to answer questions by phone, email or in person. My kindergartener enjoys going to school everyday and proudly shows me what he has learned that day. He enjoys doing his homework and describing his daily activities to me every night at bedtime! His teacher has already reviewed his progress 2 weeks into the school year with me and emailed the parents 3 times with updates. I have seen and met the principal at various school meetings, back to school night and new parents night.

My school has some amazing teachers. The community is great. The families really come together to bridge the gap between the necessities and what the district provides.

It's a good solid education where the parent community plays a big role in supplementing for extra supplies nad teachers

Had a wonderful Kindergarten experience. First grade changed our entire opinion of this school. Very poor quality of teacher. Sends her to the principals office when work is not completed in class instead of sending it home. My daughter asked to use the bathroom and teacher did not let her and she went in her pants. Very upset about that still. Have not met the nicest of parents. The kids act just like there mommies and daddies- very stuck up. They try to enforce a uniform dress code but to not abide by it. A lot of profanity yelled around campus in front of little ones. And girls dress very inappropriate as to the boys (sagging, spaghetti straps etc) Not impressed and will be moving (once again) to a better school district.

I have 2 kids at opposite ends of the age spectrum at Mariners. I find the teaching staff to be a mixed bag. While there are couple of energetic and innovative teachers, who are passionate about what they do, there are as many teachers simply going through the motions and who are set in their ways. I think it would be prudent to consider transitioning out some of those teachers who are lengthy on tenure, but short of the aforementioned passion . What makes Mariners overall a great school, is the commitment and involvement of the parents. The school's foundation is heroic in providing those little extras for the kids, other schools in the district don't have( IE computers, music & science programs etc). and the spirit of their involvement is infectious.

I have two kids that attended Mariners for the first time this year. We moved to Newport Beach from another state and the kids were nervous about making new friends. My son is in sixth grade and my daughter is in third grade. I would have to say, this is by far the best school they have ever attended. The front office people knew my children by name, they made tons of friends and my son's grades improved from C's at his previous school to all A's and B's at Mariners. As a parent, I could not have been more happier with the teachers and staff. I would highly recommend this school to any family relocating to Newport Beach.

Jury is still out on this one. Daughter is in 5th grade. Teacher is high strung and short with the kids. Sink or swim attitude of the teacher so far. No extra attention so far, just a warning that parent needs to do xyz to get child up to speed. I'm not sure if she's there to teach, or just grade.

There are some great teachers and great programs, however, these programs take so much time for the teachers that they always seem stressed. They offer science programs that they say other schools don't have and reading programs that they say are above and beyond, but I have found that there are several other schools providing them too. The principal is very involved and friendly, but discipline could be a bit stronger. Started with Mrs. Blue who was great, but very demanding of parents and strict with the children. Mrs. Wolfe was wonderful and helpful during reading challenges.

Posting my review because I used this great website when moving from Europe - California: My son started 5th grade in 2009 at Mariners. Being foreign I feel that both my sons teacher, teachers aid, classroom parents and the principal have been extremely involved and helpful to us. Even with 35 kids in class you do not feel left behind at this school. I feel that my son has learned a lot during his 6 months at Mariners. My son is happy = I am happy. Fantastic school - fantastic principal!

Our principal is awesome! She knows every student's name, manages the parents and staff extremely well with care, dediation and concern. Mariners is lucky to have her.

Last modified Mariners Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.