Newport Beach, CA

Posted December 31, 2013
My daughter attended Newport El all the way through - Kindergarten through sixth grade. I am a former elementary school teacher. Since I am retired, I was also a very active volunteer at Newport El during the time my daughter was there. This means I have a pretty broad perspective and deep understanding of Newport El's educational standards and academics. As a parent, professional educator and active volunteer, I cannot give enough praise to the school. The staff and quality of education are both truly exceptional. My daughter had an incredible experience at Newport El. Her seven years there were magical. She acquired a lust for knowledge that continues to this day. I can recommend Newport El enthusiastically and without hesitation.

Posted November 27, 2011
My Son is in Kindergarten in Mrs Messner's class. I absolutely love this school the Staff and Parents are amazing. It took some time to figure out how things work but if you volunteer and stay involved you pickup how things work. Someone should really write a Kindergarten How To. I feel every day he comes home excited about what he's learned that day and ready to go back. Keep up the good work Newport El.

Posted August 17, 2011
I have enjoyed having both of my children attend Newport El. We have had such a wonderful experience attending over the years. We have a great team of supporters which includes parents, teachers/staff, and local businesses. In addition there are many academic programs, activities and a wonderful RSP Team! I only have one child left at Newport El and 2011-2012 will be her last year before entering Jr. High. We will miss Newport El, but have so many fond memories to take with us. I am proud of my children's academic success and just want to thank all the staff, parents and supporters for making our K-6 journey a huge success!

Posted August 17, 2010
I have been an actively involved parent at Newport El for a few years. I have seen parents that try to control everything that happens to their child and when they don't get their way, badmouth the teacher/principal/other kdis, etc. I think the school is amazing, have had great teachers every year, and think the principal does a great job. The upper grades have a bullying problem but there is only so much the school can do. These kids get the message at home that they are better than their peers and that they are more entitled than others. My kids love their school and their friends and are learning the appropriate things they need to know to become successful adults. The only real drama comes from some of the parents who act as though they never left primary school!

Newport Elementary School 4

Posted June 25, 2008
We had high hopes for Newport El. Given its ideal location and active families, I was sure it would be great. Unfortunately, after two years, I am no longer comfortable with the safety, quality of teachers or administration. Ourchildren should be able to flourish here, however that is not the case.

Newport Elementary School 3

Posted June 26, 2007
This year has ended on a downer. There was so much trouble with bullying and children purposefully hurting others that we find ourselves wondering if there is anyone in the school district who even cares that kids are being subjected to harrassment and harm. The administration does not stand by the teachers. This school and district need a changing of the guards. Thank goodness for great teachers and active parents. We are moving to private school next year, as have many before us due to the problems.

Posted February 26, 2007
My children have attended the school during the tenancy of both the old and new principals. As in any social system, the leaders will be attacked for a variety of reasons, some valid and some not. Parents get very emotional when dealing with issues of their children's academic abilities and social standing. I have seen the current principal deal with some challenging parents in a very mature and professional manner. Overall the school is wonderful. The teachers are outstanding. The parents support the school financially and with their time. The children are thriving. The naysayers need to start focusing their energies on working in a positive manner to better the school. They spend way too much time griping and gossiping and being needlessly competitive over which neighborhood's everyone comes from.

Newport Elementary School 4

Posted June 20, 2006
This school is excellent. It is not the administration that is not good. There are many parents that are overinvolved, pushy and seem to try to dictate to the administration how to run the school so that it benefits their own situation best. It is probably a symptom of 'Newport Beach' mentality rather than the quality of this school. I came from a small country town and have never seen anything like these parents with seemingly too much time on their hands.

Posted September 07, 2005
This is a wonderful school in a very nice community. The playground is actually located on the beach. There is a definite feeling of community with this school. There are always lots of people lending their hands to help. In 2005 it did recieve a new principal that has kind of turned the school on its head. She has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and she seems to lack real leadership quality. She does not appear on campus as much as I would like and she doesn't seem to know how to draw the 'line in the sand.' She tries to make everyone happy ahich is always nice in a person, but not necessarily a good leadership quality. However, this is an obstacle that can be overcome. They have great teachers, and great parents. When you have a truly great staff...leadership doesn't carry all that much weight.

Posted August 26, 2005
Newport Elementary is a wonderful institution. Not only are the teachers and parents very involved in the student's education, there is a sense of community and history. The school's setting is also unique and story-like. A school literarly on the beach of the Pacific Ocean and three blocks from the harbor, where the students develop an appreciation for coast of California that is not possible in any other setting.

Newport Elementary School
1327 West Balboa Boulevard, Newport Beach, CA  92661
Last modified Newport Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Newport Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top