K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Posted March 24, 2015
We love Carden! We enrolled our oldest daughter at Carden Hall in first grade (she will be an 8th grader next year!) after we attended their open house. After a rough start in another school, our daughter thrived at Carden. The small classroom sizes, Carden Method and exceptional staff are top notch. Our younger daughter started there in kinder and loves it too. I could go on and on about the wonderful things at Carden, but my favorite thing is how equally treated I feel each student is.... Without fundraising or having to compete with big school donators there is equality amongst everyone. We all pay the same amount, there are no buildings built because a family has donated this or that... it is the children's school. It belongs to them.

Posted December 06, 2014
There is a rich history in the 50+ yrs of CH. It's not the "flashy" Newport, it's "Classy" timeless Newport Beach that is simple, clean, pure and rich in character and tradition. CH has made us a better parents and a better family. I encourage everyone to check out the other schools, as we did, because CH isn't necessarily the right fit for everyone. Being humble is a trait that is respected and valued at CH.We have 2 boys who have attended here for the past 6 years. Prior to CH, they were in Montessori & we tried 1 yr in public school. Considering private school was never on our family's radar until we experienced what public school has become. CH provides our kids with a safe, morally grounded & wonderful environment where they have absolutely excelled. We write 1 tuition check & there is no fundraising or hidden costs like so many of the other schools. Our family has more time together inpart b/c the kids don't have homework until after 4th grade & we get about 3 weeks more vacation time every year. Academically CH is very strong, principled, and purposeful in their approach. Our kids are happy & better people when we pick them up after school- that's a cool feeling :-)

Posted September 12, 2014
We had the privelege to find and have our two daughters attend Carden Hall for their Entire K-8 education. The concepts of self-discpline structured academics and personal growth and maturity were outstanding!! This is not a "come for a while" school; the carefully structured cirriculum buids one year upon anther, and builds knowledge,self esteem and success ,preparing for achievement in life. Carden Hall Built the solid foundation in both daughters for High School,University and Graduate studies. Honor students; Phi Beta kappa, and successful Graduate school matriculation for both. Both fondly and thankfully credit Carden Hall for the foundations which made HS and beyond easy!

Posted April 02, 2014
After moving from a very strong public school in Northern California and being completely underwhelmed by the academics and overcrowding at the Newport public schools, we were happy to find in Carden Hall a place where our three children are absolutely thriving. This is a school that cherishes the joy and spirituality of children while maintaining a strong academic rigor. My children want me to take them early to school every day so they can play before class which says how comfortable they feel here. French, PE, music, art daily and they are easily ahead of the public school curriculum down here. We couldn't be more grateful.

Carden Hall, Inc School 3

Posted August 20, 2013
Carden Hall is fine for what it is; it will give an average child a good, solid foundation in academics. If your child is bright he/she will be bored. There is no flexibility built into the curriculum, so no one is allowed to "take the ball and run with it." If your child is already a rule follower, chances are they will wither under the extreme discipline. I heard from a mother that the teachers at her preschool told parents of boys with discipline problems to send their boys to Carden Hall. My son attended with those boys and it did not go well. My daughter was not allowed to read the books she chose; she's always been a reader, ahead of grade level. It's wrong to hold kids back. So, if you have a child of average intelligence, send him/her to Carden Hall. They will help you create a good corporate citizen.

Posted May 23, 2013
I have two of my children at Carden Hall, our third is too young, and I have been beyond thrilled with the education and character building this school has offered. The curriculum is outstanding. In my observations it was impressive to witness the teacher's observation to detail. I know there are many that feel that the school is a bit "old fashioned" but I for one am thankful that in this crazy digital age my children have a peaceful place where they can be KIDS. Too often the importance of manners and social graces are discounted so I have been very pleased that these are both a great part of the schools teachings.

Posted March 11, 2013
We moved from the east coast from very academically motivated backgrounds and could not find a school in the area that we were happy with. Carden Hall was an oasis when it comes to teaching education, culture, morals...The teachers are all excellent as well as the admin staff. My child is 1-2 years ahead of most other schools and everybody she comes in contact with raves about how she presents herself and her manners and respect (she is 8). I dont know how the sports and curriculum is in the sciences/technology in the older grades but I know the language/arithmetic and moral grounding is exceptional in the younger grades. My child also knows how to sing beautifully and can recite Psalm 100 and poetry. They also learn French from the very youngest grades and have a view of the ocean. Highly recommended amidst the chaos, materialism and lacking priorities of SoCal!

Carden Hall, Inc School 3

Posted February 28, 2013
Carden Hall is a parent's dream, but can be a child's nightmare. The school is right out of Americana, Christian based (not taught), highly patriotic and the students are polite to the eye. Bullying happens here just like every other school and not solely by the students. Yes, I'm calling out staff here. On the surface, parents love sending their children to Carden Hall, just as we did. However, for some children, like ours, it can be elementary prison. This the highest auditory teaching school in Orange County. If this is not your child's strongest learning style, you'd be better to look elsewhere. The teachers dictate, the students write - which can be a very daunting task for a young child still learning how to grip a pencil properly in K-2nd grade. The school is very rigid - knees pointed forward, hands clasped on desk when work is done, student having to stand by the door until noticed when a bathroom break is necessary. Our son did not fit the Carden mold and after three years we finally heard him. He spoke volumes when he'd say nothing at all except how happy he was to be going home. Not a nurturing environment for him, but I know others who'd differ.

Carden Hall, Inc School 2

Posted April 03, 2010
Children are not prepared for math at the public school when they graduate. Ridiculous to spend so much money just to keep them in a protective bubble.

Posted August 05, 2009
I am a former student, having graduated in 2004. I loved this place, what with Mr. Jones and the same crowd for 9 years. While there, I wasn't all that social but that hardly mattered as the caliber of the students led to a student body of intelligent, thoughtful kids who were accepting of all. I am returning for my second year of college in a few weeks and would like to say that I have never and shall never review my high school, Mater Dei HS. That is not because it is not good. It is because what I learned and took away from Carden is that much better. There is a reason that I returned there today to pick-up a sweatshirt: I have so many great memories. Note: Academics are solid, but math and science need a bit more to them. Nevertheless, they're still good.

Carden Hall, Inc School
1541 Monrovia Avenue, Newport Beach, CA  92663
Last modified Carden Hall, Inc School is a Private school that serves grades K-8