Norco High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Norco

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $330,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,100.

Posted June 7, 2014

One of the worst school i have ever experienced for my kids. Not counting the drugs and problems on campus with violence. The firing of our coaches just worsened the situation. I just don't know why many kids get overlooked on getting help compared to other schools in corona or other districts. I have parents telling me they transferred their own kids. Leadership from the principle to the district office needs to be a priority so more kids can graduate. I feel that our kids in this school are not put first.

Posted April 2, 2014

Norco High has always come across as one who cares about the students & their education. I can tell the teachers are on top of the requirements for their education (based on my son's homework alone). When I go to the "back to school nights" I can also see by things in the classrooms & the meeting of the teachers that they care. My son has excelled all through his school years (though had issues at McKinley elementary with bullying, but managed through it, despite the NO help from the school) but has maintained Highest Honors and is now #2 in his class & has NEVER missed a day from school since he started kindergarten. So with him showing the enthusiasm in learning the school must be doing something right in support. Improve? One thing I noticed is lunch issues, all students are at lunch the same time. When I went to Norco High ?? years ago we had a "A" lunch & "B" lunch. The lines now are outrageous! I would like to see the school do something for those kids who have perfect attendance, do they realize how hard that is & the commitment both the student & parent have. I heard in Riverside they go in for drawing of a car, computer & other amazing things. The kids deserve it!

Posted November 21, 2013

Super happy my child attends Norco High School. I really like that it is the smallest high school in CNUSD, giving my child more opportunities to be involved in sports and activities. The staff has a good handle on who the students are, not just another number. I am very impressed with all of the interventions and tutoring that is offered. I think the administration and staff truly care about the students success.

Posted September 26, 2013

My daughter was a transfer student from another CNUSD school and this school is great in comparison. Her classes are challenging and for the most part her teachers are responsive. The administration recently was willing to listen and work through a problem that my daughter had with one of her classes.

Posted August 9, 2013

it is a great school the staff/ teachers are really nice and my kids love it!

Posted July 21, 2013

Norco is a great school everyone is just so friendly and helping. My brother graduated there in 2013 and he loved it! He said I like it way better that Roosevelt he said the kids from Roosevelt and Norco are different and he said in Norco it's more calm and chill which is true! I love this school and I can't wait for 3 more great years

Posted January 1, 2013

The teachers provide outstanding support to kids who are struggling if the kids are willing to put forth the effort. I have never seen the staff commitment at this level. Outstanding.

Posted March 25, 2012

Norco High school has great programs and is a comfortable environment where most students feel welcome :) I transfered here after one year at Ealanore Roosavelt and I am soo glad I switched. The only reason I have rated this school with four stars instead of five is because I find that there are a few teachers that do not care about student success or grades and are unwilling to help.

Posted November 6, 2011

i am freshman 2015 class at Norco high, i start in varsity girls soccer, and am involved in FFA. Ive read all of these comments previous to me, and most of them are parents complaining about how they don't want to face that their children are screw ups. As a student who is highly involved in Norco, overall Norco is a good school, the security guards don't have favorites, the teachers only help students who are willing to work, and we have the higher class of people. the only way i could dis this school, is our chew problem. most teachers are aware and they do act against it, but some don't report it. i look forward to years and progression to come from norco high school. out of southern California, norco is one of the better ones.

Posted April 10, 2011

i am a sophmore now at this school. i start varsity in football. i get no special treatment from security guards or teachers like some people think. i have to work just as hard, if not, harder then other students to keep my parents, coaches, and teachers happy. its a fun school. obviously we have some students that dont like the school or just dont care about school, but every school has some kids like that. norco high is one of the best schools in the CNUSD district. thankyou for reading this

Posted March 17, 2011

I have never seen a school where the teachers just don't care about their students. I have a junior who is struggling in class and the only response I receive from the resource counselor is I told you to put him in the special ed classes. Whatever happened to trying to determine the reason for the poor grades and finding the best result. I can't believe that they only want to put him in a slow class so that there is no additional interaction. Incidentally, the child brought home a progress report and the grades have all improved but one...maybe his problem is not a result of academics. Come to find out, it appears to be my sole responsiblity to fix his grades and learning. I am working towards removing this child from this school. No child should be met year after year with uncaring teachers. After all, we are all aware that the teachers do not enter this vocation because of the pay.

Posted October 20, 2010

Admitted spoiled from quality public schools in another state but my experience with Norco High School has been extremely poor. Started with multiple trips to the registrars office where the most common responses were I am new or I don't know or not my problem should have gotten xyz in the mail which we did not. Once registered to get the parent connect setup correctly took weeks and finally when I reached out to my daughters teachers less than half emailed or called me back. Never dealt with a school ever who teachers and staff were so disorganized, lazy, and unable to get the job done. I idealogically believe in a public school system but never have seen or experienced such a low quality of one.

Posted May 11, 2010

this school is the best school in cnusd! whether in sports or in books we seem to rock it! the security guards do not have favorites!!they are all very friendly and can see the (illegal) things happening in front of them. they seem like they have favorites but they dont! those kids just seem to be more friendlier than others and talk to the security gurads more.. the counselers are soo great and helpful as well as staff! youu just have to be willing to learn about academics not only ffa or ag stuff... :)

Posted January 29, 2010

Honestly, as a student here I've had some pretty great times with the FFA and stuff. But main problems are coming from the students. We're divied up into our cliques and ethnics. The school is WAY TO CROWDED! Waiting in line for lunch takes your entire break unless you are first in line. Alot of things get out of hand as in students using chew in class, and such on campus. Security chooses favorites and lets the students they know well do as they please. It's not very fair! FFA is a amazing thing to get into so try it!

Posted September 29, 2009

i love norco high school because it has a great environment and everyone is always so friendly

Posted May 29, 2009

I have a son that graduated in 08 and a daughter who is currently a sophomore. I really wish this school would get it's act together! Most of the faculty appear to be there to simply collect a paycheck. Security is seriously blind to the illegal activities in front of their faces. Unless your child is on a sports team or in the honors program...forget it. I am so disgusted with Norco High School. I am an involved parent whose kids do well academically, but god forbid they need help from a teacher or a guidance counselor. I could go on but will spare all.

Posted March 31, 2009

i am student of norco high school and it's great school. this is my frist school in USA. but it's amazing school. Nice Owesome Romantic Cute Outstanding. school ever.

Posted May 28, 2008

As a parent and staff member at NHS I believe that there are unlimited opportunities for students. Education is what you put into it! We have students attending Harvard, Stanford, USC, Etc... (Not only athletes) so obviously if a student desires an education it is available. My suggestion to all parents who feel that their child is not in a positive environment is to visit other high school campuses. I have had children at 3 of the 5 comprehensive high schools in CNUSD and I am very happy with Norco High. As a staff member I feel completely safe on campus (day and night). The sense of community is awesome and I feel very connected to my students and parents. Are there problems at Norco High? As in ALL public high schools there are problems as well as students who are unwilling to learn and have no consequences for their actions.

Posted March 4, 2008

Seeing how student reviews seem rare here, this will be a new thing. Norco High School isn't such a bad school but i can agree that the faculty and 'elder' involvement is less than average. Heh...I actually met a guy who worked at the school and he was able to point out his photo in a yearbook that was laying about outside the activities office...I thought that was sad. Most of the kids are extremely friendly but there are still those that don't care about education and openly express it which is definitely a big no for a teaching environment. Well that is all I have for now.

Posted June 12, 2007

Overall, this school has poor leadership. We've received very little information at home about events, goals, etc. We've had extensive communication with teachers, but their workload appears to be maxed out and they are unable to deal with discipline problems.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

314 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

583 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

547 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

169 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

544 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

194 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

551 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

597 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

506 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

175 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

546 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students28%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)75%
Parent education - college graduate86%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate83%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students43%

Parent education - high school graduate45%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)67%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate76%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

599 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

597 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students87%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 7%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • California Distinguished School (2003)
  • California Exemplary Career Technical Education Program (2003)
  • Accreditaion - Six Year Clear Classification (2005)

Special education / special needs

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • German
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options