George Washington Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 894 students

Posted May 16, 2014

George Washinton is a really good school, I transfer my son on November and I see a lot of good changes how he is learning on this new school his teacher is one of the best teachers the he never had before Her name is Mrs: HOLMES she is a 4th grade teacher on George Washinton Elementery. Mrs: Holmes is professional and she does care about her studens. Thank you Mrs: Holme

Posted April 28, 2014

Washington Elementary is one of the best schools in all of California. Washington Elementary has some of the most amazing and talented teachers. These teachers not only teach, but they have the talent to encourage and inspired my two sons. Sra. Rios has had both of my sons in her class and she is just amazing. Sr. Andrade is also an amazing and talented teacher, and soon both of my sons will have had Sr. Andrade. These two instructors should be role models for all other teachers. Teaching is not just about covering what the state requires; its about motivating the children to learn and to enjoy learning. It's about caring about their students and putting in the 100%+ effort. Children learn from their examples and these teachers have set an A+ example for their teachers. These are instructors that the students will come back and visit even after they have completed high school and college. This 'rating' is to show my appreciation for their kindness, their skills and their efforts in not only teaching my children, but also setting a great example for them on how to become better 'individuals'. Sr. Andrade and Sra. Rios you are 'Awesome", and I want to thank you for all your efforts!

Posted April 28, 2014

I agree the dual program is absolutely great, unfortunately the rest of the children are only taught the basic and I know they can be challenged academically. Principle should look into the upper grade teachers on making sure they are preparing them for middle school. Following up on academic enrichment lesson plans that get into practice. Teachers might be gentle and happy but children also need teachers to believe in their learning abilities to succeed in the real world. Teachers can built on them good learning habits by sending more homework or projects, not one yearly project or one weekly homework, children are capable !

Posted November 20, 2013

Every time I read someone lobbying for or against people whether it refers to a Teacher, Asst. Principal. or Principal, I am reminded of how political schools have become. It is seldom about the kids and all too often about the personal agendas of individuals. All I can say about this school is that it is great, with all the staff and administrators doing the very best with what they have. None of them have enough time in any day to meet every want but they do their best. The kids are awesome and the school has made great progress over the past several years, far beyond what it had accomplished in the years prior. I am grateful for all the teachers, staff, and administrators.

Posted August 11, 2013

My child attends Washington Elementary in the dual immersion program. Her and I love the program and the teachers. The only thing I see that is wrong, is with the principal not allowing parents in the lower grades to walk their children to their rooms in the morning on the first day of school. It was s o unorganized and lots of children were crying and not knowing where to go. I understand the reason the principle wants a closed campus for safety reasons, but the first couple of weeks would have been ok for the parents and the children to become aware of where to go and then after the first couple of weeks make it a closed campus. Some of the children got lost in the school and didn't know where to go. Other then this the teachers and office staff, especially Danelle, are very nice and helpful.

Posted August 8, 2013

This school is very unorganized. I don't feel welcomed and now I'm a bit concerned on to what the treatment will be towards my child. Paperwork doesn't get filed or processed on a timely matter. It amazes me on how this school is even running. They should get a better computer system so that their files don't get lost, AGAIN. They need to hire more organized people to help them run that place.

Posted March 7, 2013

Washington is only getting better! This year the school has started a new program for parents to become more involved called Eagle Eye. Any parent that fills out the proper paperwork, fingerprinting etc. may participate. The objective of the program is to have parent volunteers positioned throughout the school catching students doing something good. Kids love receiving an Eagle Feather as a reward for their positive behavior. I for one appreciate the fact that as a whole Washington is focusing more on the positive than the negative. Thanks again Washington!!

Posted March 4, 2013

Don't send your kid here. Safety is an issue. My kid was physically shoved by an older bigger kid and I complained to principal and vice principal but yet still nothing was done to the kid who shoved my daughter. Also the entry routes to drop off and pick up kids is like 91 freeway. You will be parked in line for a while out on main street just to get on the drop Off/ pick up route for your kid. Looking into private schools in the area. Also testing scores are not so great.

Posted September 5, 2012

I have been to many schools and dealt with the office staff. Washington has one of the best staff. They are welcoming to those that enter the office. They are quite helpful to students that come to the office. They really get to know the students. I also like the sense of humor the office staff has. Additionally, the teachers are quite friendly to visitors, more so than many other schools.

Posted August 27, 2012

I have been with Washington for several years now and I have seen some changes good and bad. The one thing that has not changed is the professionalism of our office staff. The first people you meet when you register your kids in school is the office staff and my kids love them! They want to include them in birthday celebrations lol. My daughter wants a "Barbie Birthday Party" and asked if Barbie could come. lol I came to realize she meant the principal. lol The teachers are outstanding. The many programs they offer are fantastic and my kids love them. Did I say I am also a neighbor to the school? We have a new PTA president this year and I have seen her everyday and many days prior to school opening. When I saw her during summer and she said hi and we talked for quite awhile. She was just checking on the school and was concerned about the increase in the local graffiti and was asking if we had a neighborhood watch in place. OMG!!! I feel like between the office being a place my kids are not afraid to go to and great teachers and a PTA that not only cares for my kids but also my neighborhood! Good job Washington you got the whole package going on!! Keep it up!

Posted July 10, 2012

This school has a very diverse population and deals with a lot of outside factors. The teachers do the best they can. They are always offering tutoring and going the extra mile for the students. There are a lot of after school activities and fundraisers. The dual immersion teachers work very hard and do so much extra work to make sure my kids don't fall behind. They are very supportive and friendly. This school is great and I really love the dual immersion staff and program as a whole!

Posted June 29, 2012

Love my son's teacher and have had little contact with the principal but from what I've seen she's very professional and friendly...unfortunately I have to agree about the front office staff-they're rude, unfriendly and not once have they made me feel welcomed there! If it wasn't for my son's wonderful teacher I would probably be checking out new schools! Also, tried to get involved in PTA stuff but have felt excluded/same people run it and not really open to newcomers....

Posted November 21, 2011

Totally agree that admin are very rude in the front office. The school is okay, but am trying to have a better education for my 2nd grade son & hope to find a better school for him next year. I'm just not fully satisfied with the teachings of facilty. Sounds more like dual immersion gets the upper hand in education at this school.

Posted November 14, 2011

Admin Staff is very rude. It's taken me multiple bad experiences with the staff before I wrote this review. The administrative staff; the ones in the front office at Washington Elementary School are two of the most horrible inconsiderate uncaring people I have ever encountered anywhere. I pray my 2 children do not need to come into contact with these 2 individuals. Do they not realize that they are the first faces anyone sees when they go to the school. What happen with introducing yourself; a pleasant smile; how are you today; some kind friendly words; I stop by to drop off an items for my two children; it took 10 minutes to get them to tell me what the protocol was; I had to ask 10 questions to figure out what the protocol was. It could have taken 2-3 minutes. Say something friendly; ask who the person is; who the child is; ask what the purpose of visit is; explain protocol; all that would take 1 minute; instead you made me feel very uncomfortable & unwilling to leave items for my children because YOU could not ensure that someone else could walk into the office & take the item; which was an expensive item that the child needed for school.

Posted July 13, 2011

I will not send my son to this school again! I see lots of teachers and parents there have discrimination... Also my son hated the school... Just a not great school.

Posted November 1, 2010

My daughter attends to this school and I consider this one of the best schools I've seen in California.... the teachers are totally committed to help the students all the time. My daughter is on 5th grade in the dual immersion program and I'm so happy because she's in the honor roll and she can perfectly speak, read and write two languages, English and Spanish. I love this school and I appreciated all the effort from teachers and stuff to make of this school one of the best ones...

Posted October 11, 2010

PARENTS: DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL. Unfortunately many of us don't have much choice, except when the entire community stand up, fight with district for qualified administration, teachers, and this is the only way to make this school better. You're waisting your child;s life otherwise.

Posted April 12, 2010

I am one of the luckiest parents in this area to have had the honor of having my two girls in the Dual Immersion Program offered at this school. My oldest who is 9, is at the top of her class reading/writing at a 8th grade english level (GATE Program) and reading/writing at a 5th grade spanish level (she's only in 3rd grade). My youngest who is in kinder is being introduced to another language in which english is our only language we speak in our home. I have been so greatful for the great teachers in this program and highly appreciate what this school has done for my kids! My children's success is not only with their teachers, but with being involved as a parent...team work pays off!

Posted March 23, 2010

We've moved from the area and are dissapointed our new school isn't what Washington is. We miss the teachers and the education my son would've gotten if we remained. Good Job. Washington...Keep it up!!

Posted August 28, 2009

I am so proud of this school and the incredible improvements they have made. The teachers have really embraced new methods and the leadership by the principal has been refreshing. It is great to see the high scores this school posted after so many mediocre years.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students46%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab