Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Colfax Charter Elementary School 3

Posted June 07, 2016
I used to love this school. The past year it has taken a horrible turn. The "community" is extremely self-serving. The kids are increasingly disrespectful and it's clear that the apples are not falling far from the trees. Good luck to you if you're just starting out. It's survival of the fittest over there.

Posted February 26, 2016
I've been at Colfax for 7 years, and I am an extremely proud Colfax parent. The new principal is a tremendous asset, and the school and its students are thriving. I am on the parent board and volunteer extensively, and I can say with confidence that the overwhelming majority of the Colfax community (teachers, staff, and parents) are supportive, kind, helpful, and have the students' interests at heart. With three kids, we have had many teachers--all of them have been approachable, hardworking, and caring. Our overall experience at Colfax has been extremely positive! 5 more years to go...

Posted December 10, 2015
The entire tone of this school has changed since Susana Gomez has left. There used to be an overwhelming sense of fear among teachers, parents, and students alike. Since the new principal, Robyn Friedman, has taken over the school, there is joy in the once darkened hallways. The teachers are actually happy to come to school, which is reflected in each and every classroom. Students are learning and are encouraged to do their best. Their victories are celebrated and acknowledged by teachers and administrators alike. I am so happy to have my children at this amazing gem of a school! Thank you Mrs. Friedman and the tremendous teaching staff of Colfax Charter for making everyday the "best day ever" for my kids!

Posted December 08, 2015
WOW! I am shocked by some of the bad reviews for our new principal. I think she is doing a fantastic job. The old principal made a mess of the school and Mrs. Friedman has done a beautiful job turning things around. My twins started kindergarten this year and they are doing great. They love the school and their teachers. Mrs. Friedman is very approachable and kind. My boys get so excited when they see her. The teachers are very effective and they DO CARE tremendously for ALL of the kids. I volunteer on a regular basis, so I have firsthand knowledge of what happens in the classrooms. I can rest easy knowing that my boys are getting a great education. One of the best parts of Colfax is the amazing parent community. It is a great place to be and I am so proud to be a Colfax parent.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted November 10, 2015
When a 2nd grade teacher can't get the spelling list correct and I have to proof read it before my child does his homework it says how ineffective some teachers are at Colfax.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted November 10, 2015
Lots of busy work sheets and my child was very bored with it and it.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted November 10, 2015
Don't be fooled. The school doesn't care for kids who have different needs. It went from 1 horribly bad principal to another bad principal.

Colfax Charter Elementary School 1

Posted February 22, 2015
our son attended this school when we lived in the area, as we were told how fabulous it was and being our "home school" we thought it would be convenient and hopefully wonderful. WOW- we were SO wrong. We had nothing but trouble here. If your child is doing average to above average in academics and needs no remedation and has no special needs then it could work for you, but if your child has any special needs, I highly advise you to steer clear of this place. The principal is a nasty, mean person as well, who seems to wish every child with special needs would go elsewhere so she didn't have to bother with them. There are maybe 2 or 3 good teachers there, but other than that, I would say the school is awful.

Colfax Charter Elementary School 2

Posted December 01, 2014
We have a child that has graduated and one that is still attending Colfax Charter. I find it amazing that this school has these 5 star reviews. " Anyone" and I mean anyone you ask that is being sincere and honest with you will tell you, "The Principal has to go!". The school has an underlying tone unkown to the general public or visitors of being run by a tyrant principal and her fearful staff. Parents, teachers, and staff members are literally "scared". The teachers are wonderful and so is the staff and they do their best under said conditions, but you do have an unsympathetic , uncaring, person at the helm and her scary inner follow orders circle; favoritism and politics galore. GREAT SCHOOLS.org is a wonderful organization and web site and its important that parents be VERY aware of of the rude awakening once you get by the campus initial fluff and smiles. The parents are wonderful(a bit over gossipy and judgmental of others and children) their inner group stays tight, so is PACE and The PTA. Once they get rid of the present principal the school will be all it can be. This is an honest and sincere nonjudgmental review, ask any parent and hope for the honest truth.

Posted September 02, 2014
This fantastic school is a gem, with creative kids, fabulous parents, an active and inclusive PTA and a great PACE fundraising organization. Other public schools ask for a larger annual giving donation, and most families are happy to give more to Colfax. We completely love the school and are thrilled to have our children be a part of such a great community in Los Angeles.

11724 Addison Street, North Hollywood, CA  91607-3202
Last modified Colfax Charter Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.