Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

My son got a great education!!! Best teachers!!!!

This is our fifth year at this school, and I can't imagine a better experience. The current principal, staff and faculty are exceptional, and I feel secure that my children are being well taken care of and educated. There's complete access to and collaboration with administrators and teachers, and we can discuss any and all issues or concerns as we need. In addition, one of our kids is special needs, and the resources he is provided are terrific, and the support he and we receive is giving him the tools to be successful now, but also setting him up for a better future! Thank you to all who are involved at Colfax, including the broad base of parent volunteers, for teaching my children that learning is awesome.

This school is amazing. Great parents, parent/child involvement, super sweet kids. Just a lovely, friendly learning environment. I wish it went all the way through high school.

We joined this school 4.5 years ago and it was a great school back then, with wonderful teachers and an amazing parent body who work tirelessly and for free, for the good of the school. The Principal then was not well liked and generated a number of disappointing reviews on this site. But times have changed! Last year we saw a wonderful new Principal join the school, and now in her second year she continues to develop and improve upon the fantastic base we had. She is approachable and fair in her decisions - sometimes these decisions are hard and unpopular, but ALWAYS for the best of the children at Colfax. Putting yourself in her shoes just for a moment, you could understand the hard job she has. People complain of too much homework... but this is school! The teachers work collaboratively within LAUSD guidelines to set appropriate homework which supports the learning from that day. Parents and students are encouraged to raise a concern if they are struggling to complete the work within the guideline minutes, so that is can be adjusted for that child. What more can you ask? Our Governance Committee (LSLC) and our PTA/PACE parent organisations are second to none! If you WANT to help the school, you are welcomed with open arms! There are opportunities for all parents to get involved wherever they can.... even full time working parents can help and support the school at a time that suits their schedule. The enrichment our children enjoy because of the fundraising generated by this phenomenal parent community, continues to amaze! We have our own Science Lab and Science teacher; Computer Lab and Technician; an Art program with our own Art Teacher; Chorus, Orchestra, Violin and Ballroom dancing!; we have our own volunteer psychomotor team keeping our children fit; we even have our own Colfax farm - Come meet our animal residents!!! Class sizes have even been reduced on the whole this year! New registration processes have ensured students are given places who are entitled to a place... and on top of that, every classroom enjoys some support from a Classroom aide! The community of Valley Village supports their wonderful Elementary school and with an upcoming building project set to expand our campus too - these are exciting times! You can't go wrong with Colfax! Looking forward to seeing you there soon!

The teachers at our school are exceptional. There truly isn't a bad apple in the bunch! This popular sentiment is a luxury for those of us here at Colfax. The principal acts with integrity. The teachers are passionate and well qualified. The new writing programs, mindfulness education and on line math programs are exceptional.

I used to love this school. The past year it has taken a horrible turn. The "community" is extremely self-serving. The kids are increasingly disrespectful and it's clear that the apples are not falling far from the trees. Good luck to you if you're just starting out. It's survival of the fittest over there.

I've been at Colfax for 7 years, and I am an extremely proud Colfax parent. The new principal is a tremendous asset, and the school and its students are thriving. I am on the parent board and volunteer extensively, and I can say with confidence that the overwhelming majority of the Colfax community (teachers, staff, and parents) are supportive, kind, helpful, and have the students' interests at heart. With three kids, we have had many teachers--all of them have been approachable, hardworking, and caring. Our overall experience at Colfax has been extremely positive! 5 more years to go...

The entire tone of this school has changed since Susana Gomez has left. There used to be an overwhelming sense of fear among teachers, parents, and students alike. Since the new principal, Robyn Friedman, has taken over the school, there is joy in the once darkened hallways. The teachers are actually happy to come to school, which is reflected in each and every classroom. Students are learning and are encouraged to do their best. Their victories are celebrated and acknowledged by teachers and administrators alike. I am so happy to have my children at this amazing gem of a school! Thank you Mrs. Friedman and the tremendous teaching staff of Colfax Charter for making everyday the "best day ever" for my kids!

WOW! I am shocked by some of the bad reviews for our new principal. I think she is doing a fantastic job. The old principal made a mess of the school and Mrs. Friedman has done a beautiful job turning things around. My twins started kindergarten this year and they are doing great. They love the school and their teachers. Mrs. Friedman is very approachable and kind. My boys get so excited when they see her. The teachers are very effective and they DO CARE tremendously for ALL of the kids. I volunteer on a regular basis, so I have firsthand knowledge of what happens in the classrooms. I can rest easy knowing that my boys are getting a great education. One of the best parts of Colfax is the amazing parent community. It is a great place to be and I am so proud to be a Colfax parent.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

When a 2nd grade teacher can't get the spelling list correct and I have to proof read it before my child does his homework it says how ineffective some teachers are at Colfax.

Last modified Colfax Charter Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.