Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I feel the staff care deeply about the students, and strive to help them grow into well educated people.

Monlux rocks! Huge campus, with ample playground space to run around and play games. A garden center, and surrounding neighborhood is safe and nice. Also offers LA's Best FREE afterschool program. They offer a snack, homework help and activities - can't beat that. Love it!

so far I'm very happy with this school. My son started kindergarten in August and I love how much he has learned in such a short time. They keep parents up to date with everything. I did not like the after school coach for the kindergarten class, I had to remove him from the program. I'm not going to go into details but perhaps kindergartners should be watched with someone that has patience with young children. The pta is doing a great job. I'm enjoying being a parent to a tiger

It's been better. It has a FABULOUS new music program that is in danger of being cancelled! Some teachers will communicate with you and some cannot be bothered! Almost Zero parental involvement. Same 5 people in the PTA at every event running things so that late,loud,entitled parents can show up late, dressed like they're going to a club not a school, and demand special treatment! Can't wait for my kid to get out of this cesspool! 25 more school days..More parents need to get involved or they will soon be paying for public school!

My daughter has been at Monlux since Kindergarden. She is in the fourth garde magnet program for math, science, and technology. She loves it! She is challenged, and excited about the projects. She loves the science teachers.

I went to this school from 3rd grade to the end and I loved it they taught me a lot more than I thought I would learn in elementary school the teachers are very helpful and very nice and so is the principal now I am in high school and I still remember all my teachers from Monlux because they teach that well for you too remember them <3

Monlux is NOT a good school. Parking is impossible in the morning and a lot of parents will fight/ curse you for a parking. Principal is not involved at all. She does not take time to get to know the families. Most of the teachers are there because they have to me there and are not genuinely concerned with the students. At one time, a concern was brought to the attention of one of the teachers, behind your back she commented that you are wasting her precious time. Students does NOT have a place to do their homework in the afternoon. You have to do your homework under the heat of the sun on warm days and if it's raining, you get to go inside the room finally but it's lights out and loud DVDs, so if you want to do your homework, you either rely on the small door opening or you do not do your homework at all. Lastly, if you have encountered a problem, you almost cannot talk to the principal as the reason is she's busy and if you left a message to call back, you will never hear from her. The bridge coordinator will handle the problem by giving you a very general response so you will settle down and forget about everything. The students aren't as nice either.

I came from the Magnet Program and I would not recommend this school especially if you are not tough. The teachers yelled at the students most of the time or they benched you ( meaning no recess or lunch ) as they think this is the only way to make unruly students listen, so if you are one of the better students, I feel bad for you as you also get the same punishment. I agree with one of the reviews - each year gets worst and worst. Thank God I'm out of the school. The staff including the principal, they are not concerned at all. There are also a mountain of homework for you to do each day because the teachers are not utilizing the time wisely in school.

My son is in the magnet program and it is an education focused program which makes us glad that we switched from another school for 3rd grade. He is a 5th grader now and I think this program has gotten him ready for the workload that will come with middle school.

PAST 2-3 YEARS SCHOOL BECAMING WORST AND WORST. COULD BE PRINCIPAL OR/AND MANAGMANT CHANGES IN THE SCHOOL.

Last modified John B. Monlux Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.