St. Paul's First Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 175 students

St. Paul's provides a well rounded Christian, academic, and social foundation.

Living in North Hollywood

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $348,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,320.

Sweep tile

Posted Thursday, April 17, 2014

Kids are happy to attend school and feel secure at St. Paul's First Lutheran School! My preschooler runs to preschool each morning and my 4 year old has had an excellent year in the K4 Program. St. Paul's is a hidden gem in North Hollywood. Parent Group is involved and focused on student enrichment.

Posted March 18, 2014

Small class sizes can be good but when there are conflicts this atmosphere can be limiting.

Posted February 27, 2014

The school is great, our child has attended since kindergarten and now is in second grade and we loved the school since the first day. The teachers and the staff are fantastic. the academic program is excellent, the religious education and the moral values that the children get at the school are invaluable, this school is really a hidden jewel.

Posted February 26, 2014

Fantastic school with an engaged and caring staff. We are so thankful to have found it!

Posted January 18, 2014

You Pay alot of money at this school and the teachers (not all of them) have their favorite students, you HAVE MONEY - YOU HAVE VALUE, Sadly its the true - my kid had a bad experience there and was afraid to return, I brought the issue to the board of edu. they pretend to care but didnt do nothing. My kid is a lot better now somewhere else.

Posted July 21, 2013

The Kindergarten teacher at St. Pauls has been amazing for my son. She is patient, kind and commands respect from her young students. I was very impressed with Miss Miller's use of technology to further the students interest in learning. She encourages creativity while following a rigorous lesson plan that has allowed my son to learn to read and write, complete math problems and explore the world around him using knowledge from her lectures. She is always expanding her knowledge with continuing education bringing the latest resources to our children. The homework that my son completes has allowed him to expand his vocabulary, reading skills and other studies that are part of the needed curriculum for a Kindergarten student. As an adjunct faculty member at university level I understand how difficult teaching can be. She makes it look effortless. Kindergarten is the first step into learning outside the home, where social skills, discipline and listening are just as important as reading, writing and math. Miss Miller combines learning with fun in a safe, Christian based classroom. She is the best!

Posted June 8, 2013

When i started my search for a school for my girls i stumbled upon this sweet school. I had already gone to every school tour in town and none of them seemed right for us. When I walked on the campus I was greeted with smiles and warm hearts. What really got me was this amazing kindergarten room that had art work hanging all over the walls, a rack of dress up clothes and a bench with a well worn I horse saddle. The teacher was warm and welcoming and proudly showed me the kids journel pages that were hanging on the walls. I dont know how else to explain this so I will just say that her eyes danced with excitement when she spoke of their progress. She was so proud. Thats when I knew that this wonderful teacher was perfect for us. Her name is Ms. Miller. My oldest just graduated 1st grade, Ms. Hartel is also one of the most amazing teachers I have ever met. I feel like god was shining on me the day I found this school. If u are looking for a great school with a small town feel, check out St. Pauls.

Posted May 14, 2013

St. Paul's is fantastic! My 3 children attend there and they absolutely love it! The class sizes are just right, the teachers are top-notch, there are plenty of extra-curricular activities, and the music program is amazing! We are not only treated with love and respect from the teachers and staff, but from the students as well. Having a Christ-centered education is priceless. I highly recommend St. Paul's to anyone looking for a quality, well-rounded education.

Posted August 17, 2011

My son attended St Paul's from pre-school thru middle school. St Paul's provides an excellent education and a nurturing and warm environment. You receive a well-rounded education from music, religion, academics, etc. The field trips are great. The staff is very involved with the development and growth of each child. The teachers at my sons high school have told me that the education he received at St Paul's was way above that of the other students. We have wonderful memories and will miss the school and the staff.

Posted June 21, 2011

I am writing from a visiting standpoint as my children never attended St. Paul First Lutheran School. First I'd like to say the school does look clean and well organized. The staff seems very friendly and kind to the children. However, here are the concerns I had when I visited this school one afternoon. It was a very hot sunny day and some of the children were beet red, (I wondered if they had on sunblock or were well hydrated), then there was an alert from an outsider on the street that the children needed to go indoors because the police was looking for someone and the person could possibly be in the area. (OMG moment!) Then a teacher, even if it was not malicious in no way, tapped a kid in the head with a piece of paper as to make him go and do something else. I just thought it was a bit disrespectful because if doing that to an adult wouldn't be right shouldn't the same be applied to children no matter how old? Finally, my small pet peeve about the yard facing the street makes me nervous, this is North Hollywood and sometimes there are a few transients in this area that are not in there right mind. This is not to scare parents away from this school, just making them aware.

Posted March 13, 2011

St. Paul's is a great school. It has a wonderful music program, the teachers are wonderful and communicate well with the parents. I feel my children are very safe while they are there and I have peace of mind that they are in great hands. Both of my children started in the pre-school and continued on into the elementary school. They both have developed friendships that I have no doubt will be maintained throughout their lives. This school has a wonderful community feel to it, like family!

Posted January 31, 2011

My son has been attending St. Paul's since Kindergarten, and I can't say enough about how great this little gem of school is!! Nurturing environment, small class size, structure and guidance, and a great family of teachers! When my huband died last year, it was my son's school, that made the largest impact in helping us through this difficult time. I will never forget how they helped us through and were a fortress of stability and Christian love. Plus, my boy is excelling in academics!

Posted January 31, 2011

Four years ago, we researched many schools before choosing St. Paul s First Lutheran for our two kids. We re so glad we did! It s not a fancy or flashy place, but at St. Paul s, kids receive a Christ-centered education. That is first and foremost, and it is the reason the kids are so successful academically, socially, and spiritually. We have found St. Paul s very different from other schools in that everyone there nurtures and values each and every child. In turn, the kids are respectful toward their teachers and also to each other. Academic excellence is a priority, but so is good citizenship. St. Paul s kids are not only well-educated, but are also noticeably well-mannered and congenial. What a breath of fresh air these days! St. Paul s is an affordable, well-managed gem of a school in North Hollywood. We would give it 10 stars if we could!

Posted January 31, 2011

My three children have attended St. Paul's. They were able to participate in music, sports and develop a great work ethic. This helped them in high school and college. The loving discipline they received from the faculty helped prepare them for the long road ahead of them in academics and life in general. We are very happy they learned the basics in this environment.

Posted November 21, 2010

I tried several preschools and St. Pauls 1st Lutheran Preschool was by far the best. The teachers are great role models. They are helpful, courteous, and attentive to the parents and children. The children are friendly and develop great social and oral language skills. I am an elementary school teacher and was thrilled to finally find a school that was excellent in every way that really matters for a chllds social, emotional, and academic growth.

Posted June 7, 2010

It's been an amazing year for my daughter there (her first year) and she's so happy that she'll continue and hopefully will finish up through 8th grade.

Posted May 30, 2010

My daughter went to St Paul preschool for 2 years. It's been wonderful and the teachers there are great! My daughter went to 2 other preschools before St Paul and they were more expensive and not as good. I would recommend St Paul preschool to my friends.

Posted April 20, 2010

Great school. My daughter loves going to St. Paul's and I love bringing her there!

Posted March 12, 2010

As far as Pre School goes.Nope!! Took my daughter out immediately!!. Just a bunch of children with no direction! It has no structure & way outa control!!! You Pay alot of money for your child to be 'babysat' No no no no(sorry)

Posted March 2, 2010

1. THE BEST MUSIC PROGRAM AROUND! When the rest of Los Angeles is dropping the FINE ARTS classes - this school has everything PRE-school through 8th grade. Classes, individual lessons, bands, choirs, handbells, and musicals and much more! 2. SMALL class sizes - in a school district where the sizes are going up, Up, UP .... nice to see the smaller sizes and the individula attention my child gets in the classroom. 3. SPORTS for everyone to participate. Grades 3 - 8 are in a competative league for basketball, baseball/softball, soccer, football, volleyball and a hint of track. Where can you get everything at one location? 4. NUTRITIONAL hot lunch program. Not just fast food, but great food. Lots of it and a BIG variety! 5. TEACHERS who are great and like family! Not only does my child have a teacher, but I have a friend I can lean on for great advice!

Ethnicity This school
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 3%
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Rendy Koeppel
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Wisconsin evangelical lutheran synod
Fax number
  • (818) 487-1378

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • Individually guided instruction
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered

• Drama
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school does not have a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom