Northridge, CA

Balboa Gifted/High Ability Magnet Elementary School 3

Posted August 20, 2014
School cherry picks students based on three-questions on Choices brochure completed by prior school teacher. Test scores don't accurately reflect teacher/admin efforts. Parents do a lot of the sent home projects. In 9 years, I felt my concerns were NEVER addressed by teachers or admin. Agree with "brick wall" comment and 5/22 & 8/27 posts. No transparency. Lots of fundraisers. Annual donation request was $300 per child when we started at school. Now up to $1,000. Parents allowed to make monthly payments. Felt pressured to give. Donor's named published. Do your homework. There are other great area SAS/Magnet programs with responsive teachers and admins. If you are a parent who wants or expects concerns addressed or needs to feel heard, this place can leave you feeling frustrated and helpless. Ask around. Ask if teachers are required to do annual training to stay fresh and grow. Ask for SPECIFIC examples of how admin addresses discipline issues (bullying online and off). Ask how school notifies parents about issues (head lice) that can be costly/rampant/perennial/frustrating when parents are unaware. Ask about carpool safety. Nice office staff.
3 people found this helpful

Posted June 23, 2014
This school goes above and beyond expectations. We are thrilled to have our son there.

Balboa Gifted/High Ability Magnet Elementary School 3

Posted May 22, 2014
We had one incredible teacher at Balboa, but that teacher would be a star anywhere. If you are considering Balboa: 1) It's a "10" but the kids are gifted/high ability, so the score is skewed. Students are already 'brighter' than most, i.e., not an accurate reflection of teacher/admin efforts. 2) Teachers may or may not "challenge" your child. Each teacher is different, quality varies. GREATLY. 3) Balboa has over 750 students, four grade levels. If you meet with principal and magnet coordinator, they'll smile, but likely you won't get what you want. 4) Don't even think to request a specific teacher from administration. Again, almost 800 children here; you are talking to the wall. 6) If you and child's teacher are on different wavelengths, tough luck. (You don't like it? Leave, says magnet coord.) 7) If your child has social issues you are on your own. Forget about asking for socialization programs. The focus is competition, not empathy, and 'high academic achievement' is everyone's goal. 8) Playground is scary if your child is at 'psychomotor', recess or after school. Yard aides need to teach conflict resolution, supervision is wanting. Result: This school falls short.
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 02, 2013
Best school ever! Thank you for the best 5 years of my life! There are no bullies at this school , the kids are as close to angels as they can possibly get! The teachers are amazing, sweet, and they help a lot! So send your kid there to the best elementary school in the world!

Posted September 17, 2013
This is an exceptional school. The kids work hard and are prepared for middle school. The parent volunteer is above and beyond. The teachers care for the children. Office staff is great too. I can't say enough about this school. My son has been there for 3 years now and he loves it so much!

Posted September 17, 2013
Balboa Magnet is truly one of a kind. The administrators, teachers, parents, and students work together to create a school that operates in perfect harmony. Students are valued for their individuality, as well as for their unique and creative contributions to the school community. Lifelong learners are cultivated at Balboa thanks to the support of the families and staff. I love being a part of such a hard-working and loving team!

Balboa Gifted/High Ability Magnet Elementary School 2

Posted August 27, 2013
my daughter just graduation from this school. we had a really bad expireince with his 5th grade teacher mrs Convirs....She used to lower my daughter grades until I let her know that she needs to be fair with every child that color and religion..... it's a different topic ... she try to changin but I was counting for the last day of school I hope that we never going to see her again.... not good teacher she has preferents.... too bad....

Posted August 18, 2013
I loved Balboa. This school definitely helped me excel because of their high standards. I'm not saying middle school was a breeze, but I definitely did not struggle as much as the other kids. Thank you to all my teachers who made my elementary years amazing.

Posted August 04, 2013
There's a reason that Balboa Maget has ranked number one among LAUSD elementary schools -- it has an excellent teaching staff that's supported by a wonderful principal and administrative team, as well as a very involved parents organization.

Posted April 16, 2013
I am a student at balboa magnet and I'm in fifth grade. I have been going to this school for almost 5 years. I have loved it so far here. They challenge you while making everyday fun. For example, in fourth grade, you have pioneer day where you dress up like pioneers and learn about their daily life. The teachers always listen to you and get you ready for the next school year. I really reccommend this school.

Balboa Gifted/High Ability Magnet Elementary School
17020 Labrador Street, Northridge, CA  91325
Last modified Balboa Gifted/High Ability Magnet Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 1-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Balboa Gifted/High Ability Magnet Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 76 reviews. Top