Bad
Good

Beckford Avenue Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2015
Amazing g school to be in I feel lucky to be there thank you all for evrything

Posted March 08, 2015
This School is over crowed, way to many kids in a class. More yelling then teaching going on in the classroom. Bulling in classroom and on the playground is out of control. Not enough supervision on the yard, so there are many fights, both verbal and physical. No one at this school seems to care especially the principal. Hoping to get my child into a better school.

Beckford Avenue Elementary School 2

Posted March 04, 2015
I agree with the below review "if your child is quiet, shy, a robot that likes to do paperwork, this school is for you" my daughter is creative, bubbly, assertive and doesn't like to sit still for long periods of time doing busy work. The aides on the playground are awful! One of them told my daughter to lie to another kid who asked for her opinion so as not to hurt her feelings, they get "red dojos" for "tattling" and told to only tell teacher if it's an emergency, then when your child stops tattling they get red dojos for other kids tattling on THEM. The Academics are good yes, but at the end of the day I want a child who not only is smart but creative, outgoing, confident, and thinks she has an opinion. This school only cares about their test scores not about the child themselves. We will be leaving this school next year.

Posted October 10, 2014
INCREDIBLE school, beautiful, organized, friendly my kids loves going to school everyday...Thank you Beckford finally we found our school :) The Principal is so sweet and friendly.

Posted October 10, 2014
Truthfully we are very disappointed in the way this school has gone down hill with the new principle in the last 3 years. I am very glad this is our last year at Beckford! It's sad to see such a great school with so much parent involvement go down hill the way it has.

Posted August 12, 2014
The first day of school process is horrible! All of our friends children's school had orientation the week before school where you got to meet your childs teacher and know what class their in or they recieved a letter in the mail with the information. This school was crazy!! You had to show up at least 30 mins early, parking was a joke, you had to walk blocks because it was so crowded, then stand in this crowd of people pushing your kids around trying to figure out what room their child's in then trying to find that classroom! Very unorganized and of course the teacher was not very friendly she had no interest in talking to the parents. I'm not sure why what classroom your child has is such a big secret but it makes the first day very stressful for the parents and the children. I sure hope everything at this school is not this unorganized.

Posted July 16, 2014
Honestly, this school is great if your child is a robot and lacks curiosity. If they will sit down and do busy work and be super happy, you have found your school. if you child is a natural learner and more creative, that will be squashed. They are thrilled with my child who gets good grades, but don't welcome any questions from students. Very boring. My kid hates going to this school. We are changing.

Posted June 22, 2014
We have 2 kids attending this school. We are impressed with the active and involved parents, caring and competent teachers, and excellent administrative leadership. The school is safe, clean, and welcoming. Kids from all different backgrounds and countries come together for a great educational experience. (This year my kids had classmates from Japan, China, Egypt, Armenia, Russia, South Korea, Colombia, and Mexico, to name a few.) Other highlights included: a wonderful holiday musical program celebrating different cultural traditions (amazing considering ongoing budget cuts to arts programs); an adorable kindergarten talent show; a computer lab with a dedicated instructor teaching K-5th classes; a science program including a dedicated lab as well as an outdoor garden; and finally an AMAZING PTA which sponsors so many wonderful conmunity-building events: Family Fun Day, Halloween Trunk or Treat, 50's Sock Hop, free movie nights, Restaurant Nights, and so much more. API scores are high, thanks to the dedicated teaching staff, strong Admin support, and lots of parent volunteers in the classroom. We are so blessed to have this school in our community. It is a hidden gem in the Valley.

Posted April 04, 2014
The principal is very rude and I will never recommend this school to anyone. She needs to be fired and replaced. She was rude with an attitude that made me and my family very uncomfortable and I will be definitely writing a review to the school board.

Posted January 26, 2014
Honestly, I can't believe some of the negative things a few people are posting. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if a school doesn't fit your idea of what it should be, then find one that fits your style. You can't please everyone all the time. In my experience, Beckford is an excellent school! Very strong community feeling, and caring staff. My child is receiving a top notch education, which is remarkable considering the state of many LAUSD schools. The PTA working together with the school staff are responsible for many exciting curricular and extracurricular opportunities for the kids. All my child's teachers have been well trained, knowledgable, have supplemented the curriculum with appropriate fun activities, are skilled in dealing with disciplinary matters when needed (in a positive, not destructive way), and have been fair to all students. I feel as if my child is getting a private school education, in a public school.

Beckford Avenue Elementary School
19130 Tulsa Street, Northridge, CA  91326-2645
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 104 reviews. (818) 360-1924
Last modified Beckford Avenue Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.