Posted September 15, 2014
Excellent school with great leadership! Mrs. Littlejohn did an outstanding job with that sprinkle situation. Sorry to see 2 star review from an " unhappy" parent with an unrealistic expectations. I was there the morning after, principle held an open meeting( after being up most of the night, saving classrooms ) answering all the questions and concerns. My child was bussed to Frost, she had a great time, felt safe and well cared for. If you are looking for a great school- this one is:)

Posted September 10, 2014
I had a child that was bussed to Frost during the sprinkler malfunction. It is my understanding, Frost teachers and administration were extremely welcoming and accommodating. The Castlebay principal was beyond helpful and communication was forth coming at every step, including the all-call that went out the night before. If ANY parent was uninformed with regard to the details, they have only their self to blame as information was distributed verbally, electronically and telephonically. Castlebay's principal and teachers handled this problem with grace, as did Frost's principal and faculty.

Posted September 10, 2014
One thing I agree with on the 2 star comment is that teachers at Castlebay are amazing and we couldn t ask for more, but all the other information is inaccurate. The principal sent out a voice message the same night of the incident, I think around 9pm, with available information to all the parents.The message contained details about the incident.That same day, the principal spent her whole day and night helping at school and packing everything teachers and students will need at the other school.It is sad to see how someone can put so much effort and time into something, and still at the end not be appreciated and only be criticized.Could you ask for a better leadership?Next morning the principal met parents at the MPR and explained the situation with details.Flyers were sent out home the very first day with detailed explanations.My kid was also going to the other school, & from the first day, everything was amazingly smooth and perfect thanks to our principal.This is life, things happen, and our principal one more time proved to be the BEST one can ever wish for.She had it all planned and under control.Can t thank her enough for being such a great leader and an amazing person!

Posted September 10, 2014
Regarding the flooding at our school. Our principal Victoria Littlejohn packed each teacher's class room effected by the flooding. Her hard work in the wee hours throughout the night enabled us to start near normal classroom teaching instruction in our temporary classrooms at Frost by 9:19am that morning. She divided her time between both schools making sure everyone's needs were taken care of and that we all felt still like a "family." The transition back to our home school went smoothly- I personally spoke with LAUSD executives who praised Ms. Littlejohn's strong leadership throughout this ordeal! I am grateful to be able to truly know that we are all in capable hands should any emergency arise in the future. This is one remarkable principal!!

Posted September 06, 2014
It is very unfortunate that the previous 2 star posting is inaccurate, (well, except the part about the amazing teachers agreed!). The principal actually sent out a phone message around 9pm to the entire school the very night (Wed night) of the incident and notified everyone which building was impacted and that children would be relocated the next day. The 2nd morning of relocation, an eblast email went out to the entire school at 9:46 am completely explaining the situation. Flyers were sent home with students. It is unfortunate that the prior parent didn t receive ANY of these communications the first couple days. The principal had at least 2 impromptu parent meetings in the office and then the MPR on the first and third mornings of relocation. When parents brought legitimate concerns (without exaggeration) to her on the third day of relocation, she immediately made sure they were addressed for the next day.

Castlebay Lane Charter School 2

Posted September 05, 2014
I couldn't disagree more with the previous post. I have to give credit to all the TEACHERS at Castlebay. (5 stars for the teachers) As mentioned, there was a sprinkler malfunction at this school. However, the principal could and should have approached the situation much better. Very disappointed. Communication was not very clear with the parents until days later (in fact there was no immediate word/no voice message/no email of any sort until days later). Some of the 2nd and 3rd grade students were being bussed to Frost middle school (nightmare for some). But as usual, the principal glossed over any of the legitimate concerns parents had, put on her politician-like smiley face, and if anything, was not visible during this crucial time when things were so unclear and chaotic. I give all credit to the teachers who were soooo flexible and willing to come everyday, NO MATTER WHERE they were teaching, and CARING for our students. Thank you teachers of Castlebay!! All props go to you! I totally give 5+ stars to the teachers here. They are so dedicated to what they do.

Castlebay Lane Charter School 4

Posted February 13, 2014
What a wonderful school this is. The parents and staff all worked together to make sure that the instructional time is the best.

Posted February 11, 2014
This is a phenomenal school. It's unfortunate that parents would jump up and give the entire school one star based upon the fact that the LAUSD was going to bring in a federally mandated program - a program that won't be coming to Castlebay this year after all. But, the teachers, the staff, the kids and the parents are really dedicated and the parent group works very hard to make the school the best that it can be.

Posted October 30, 2013
I am a student at this school, and I love mr mena! I am so fortunate to have him. He is really a cool teacher!! All my teachers , and all the teachers are very advanced. Mrs. Littlejohn, the principal, believes in everyone's potential, too. This is the best school ever, I tell you, BEST!!!!!!

Posted September 11, 2013
We love Mr. Mena couldn't of asked for a better teacher , my child actually enjoys going to school and learning ...every child should be lucky to have him !! Mrs. Dorfman is also another favorite ...and a great new addition to the school , mrs. Littlejohn , she's brought so many wonderful changes to our school. From a happy parent :-)

Castlebay Lane Charter School
19010 Castlebay Lane, Northridge, CA  91326
(818) 360-1908
Last modified Castlebay Lane Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Castlebay Lane Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 65 reviews. Top