Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted June 02, 2016
If Mr. Merritt wasn't warm and inviting, I wouldn't have survived the year. I came from a private school background and really had to wrap my mind around some of LAUSD's decisions.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 02, 2016
The homework packets that come home don't always correlate with what's going on in the classroom. However, my daughter's teacher allowed for modification by the parents.

Posted June 02, 2016
I could not be happier with this school. The principal, Mr. Merritt, always stands in the middle of the yard before school and stands outside after school. Ms. Flores is usually standing with him. Both will explain school procedures and answer any and all questions (and I asked ALOT this year). The office ladies never made me feel that my questions were annoying and they genuinely cared about my foster daughter. My foster daughter's teacher, Ms. Monahan, encouraged and nurtured her and helped bring her to grade level by the end of the year. My foster daughter's attitude about school took a complete turn for the better and she went looking forward to each day. I especially like the music and art programs that are incorporated on Fridays. The school also has after school piano lessons (for a fee - it's a company that comes on campus with keyboards). My youngest foster daughter starts in the fall and she can hardly wait!

Posted May 09, 2016
My son teacher Mrs. Melody Bitter does such an amazing job! She is very fair, she makes time to talk to every student. She is very reliable.When I leave her a message she always makes the time to get back to me. Mrs. Bitter is very organized and detailed, she knows what she is doing. My son is in a small day class (IEP) his work performance has improved so much.My Hats off to you! Thank you Mrs.Bitter for your hard work and dedication.

Lorne Street Elementary School 2

Posted May 05, 2016
My son's teacher is great. This is a low income school. Hardly any parents show up for events. I just attended Open House and it was pretty sparse. The school's principal shows up late every day to work. The kids are taught to fight at home. Be prepared with a good lawyer if you send your child to this school.

Posted August 14, 2014
Great teacher. .. and awesome students. .. my hat goes off the PTA...office staff & the Principle

Lorne Street Elementary School 3

Posted July 29, 2014
It's a great school, my son teacher is wonderful and my son likes the school alot the only problem is that I have seen a lot of bullying going on there.

Posted May 31, 2014
My daughter is about to complete her first year at Lorne and I couldn't be happier. She transferred from a school that had taken her motivation into one that has inspired her to learn more. As a parent, I am brought to tears that she is happier than ever to be here, but sad that i waited so long to do so. If you want your child to be willing to do anything to achieve, then bring her here.

Lorne Street Elementary School 4

Posted May 30, 2014
I don't know what school the previous parent review is referring to but it can't be Lorne. Teachers are willing to meet in person or speak on phone depending on who you have. However the best way to communicate with them is by email and will set up a time to meet in person that way. The principal is a great leader who truly has an open door policy. To say that he is intimidated makes no sense since he actively runs to the school unlike some who work behind their desk. You will not find better parent involvement at any school anywhere. The PTA is extremely active and the President not only has a son in college who used to attend Lorne but has a little girl who STILL attends. The rest of the PTA board members all have kids who attend and are very active with fiund raising and working with the school and the staff. Perhaps if the previous reviewer was actually involved with the PTA or with the school instead of posting baseless and false reviews they would know that. The school playground is mostly blacktop but there is ample shaded area and a huge grass area at the center of the school. If you want a school that works as a true partner with you for your child this is it.

Lorne Street Elementary School 4

Posted May 30, 2014
The parent who posted the negative comment was only on campus once to register her kindergartener. Why was she here if our, school is so bad? Our office ladies are so accommodating and would do anything for our students and faculty. They also are so supportive of all of our MANY parent volunteers.

17440 Lorne Street, Northridge, CA  91325-4459
Last modified Lorne Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.