Topeka Charter School For Advanced Studies

Charter | K-5

Living in Northridge

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $340,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,500.

Posted June 6, 2013

This was our first year at Topeka and we love this school. The staff is top notch and really show a genuine interest in the students. After being at two other schools, we have finally found our home. My son was not reading or writing in the beginning of Kinder at another school. After just a few short months at Topeka, the staff was able to turn him around. He now loves going to school every morning. The school encourages parents to be involved whenever possible. This is the only school I've been to where you see parents all over campus interacting with teachers and administrators. They don't lock you out at the gate and make you go through a mountain of paperwork just to help out in the class. Truly an open door feeling.

Posted April 9, 2013

I'm extremely concerned about the leadership of this elementary school, especially when it comes to bullying. Academically it is improving, but it is unacceptable when belittling or harassment is condoned. No child deserves to be treated with disrespect, and its offensive when the principle, though knowing it is happening, cares so little about the mental damage it's causing boys and girls.

Posted March 19, 2013

This is my 5th year at the school. Both of my kids have thrived in the great learning environment--thanks to the teachers, principal, and the outstanding parental involvement. As a working parent, I appreciate being well-informed and having the opportunities to volunteer. Topeka is a hidden gem in Northridge.

Posted March 17, 2013

This is a great School. Children are well rounded and the school has great participation from Staff and Parents. The Principal is one of the best leaders in getting students and teachers engaged.

Posted September 7, 2012

Wow what a difference a school or more specifically a principal makes. We moved out of Topeka due to some issues the school was having and because the principal lacked leadership. Our new school within LAUSD is managed much more professionally and it reflects in our children's demeanor. Even the most active parents from last year left for other options.

Posted September 7, 2012

This is my son 2nd year @ Topeka. His kindergarten teacher was amazing and so far his 1st grade teacher is just as good! I am also very impressed with our Principal. She is always hands on and there for the parents. I am very much looking forward to the future @ Topeka.

Posted September 5, 2012

My child has attended Topeka for 3 years now and we can't tell you how content we are with the teachers/principal and PTA. The school scores were up last school session, our school has now become charter and the amount of parent involvement is AMAZING!

Posted September 2, 2012

This is a great school. The staff has always been responsive to any and all situations. Everyone, including parents seem to care about our children. My children are doing very well at this school and I couldn't be happier with a school. I believe with the new charter and funding that comes with it will only make Topeka an even more exciting and special place for our children.

Posted June 20, 2012

With 2 children in school and 2 working parents, I cannot volunteer in school. But, I'm able to get updates from room parents as well as the school directly. We are very pleased with the different forms of communication: Sunday minute from the principal, Thursday folder info, weekly emails from room parents & more. We also appreciate notes from teachers when things are not so great to help keep kids on track. I would really like a much more fleshed out website also. Topeka also just became a chartered school, so money woes that all non Title1 LAUSD schools have been feeling will be eased a bit for Topeka. I am happy with programs PTA has aided with in the past & that I hope will continue with in the future. We are PTA members but do not have time to be involved so we give donations when our budget allows. This is going to be a short summer for our kids so it will be interesting to see how the school year begins with the heat and with less prep time. We're not worried, just curious. The school is clean and safe, the teachers and staff are dedicated and the parents we've become friends with are committed to the school. This is a great place for children to be educated!

Posted April 24, 2012

My children are in first and third at Topeka. Their teachers are kind, challenging, available and open to suggestions. The office staff, playground staff, computer lab tech and librarian all know my children by name. I've always been able to talk to the principal when I've needed to. LAUSD funding is disgustingly low but the PTA and Topeka really seem to know how to stretch their budgets to remarkable lengths! I volunteer at school as well and have never had issues with anyone-- staff, parent or otherwise. I am proud to have my children at Topeka and believe that a great deal of the happiness and pride my children have in their school is due to the people who work and volunteer there-- they truly care about the children.

Posted January 30, 2012

I am very happy with Topeka. The teachers, prinicpal, staff and other parents are very involved and seem to truly enjoy what they do and care for the well being of each child.

Posted August 16, 2011

Test scores have gone down each year since new leadership arrived. Principal knows how to say the right things or make excuses but not sure if she can deliver what she promises.

Posted July 19, 2011

We were thrilled to get into Topeka last year on open enrollment - home school is in a better neighborhood and has better API scores but the principal was aloof and cold so we picked Topeka over the "better" school. A year later, we are even happier (if that's possible) - Topeka's principal is simply the finest around. She is enthusiastic, smart, committed to quality education, knows how to lead and gets everyone involved in education - rich or poor, educated or not. We Topeka parents are lucky to have her and our kids will reap the benefits of her leadership. For the people who insist on creating drama - there are plenty of schools elsewhere for you to stir up trouble - just leave our kids out of it.

Posted July 19, 2011

Before putting my kids into Topeka, I asked many parents about the school. In the process, I did not hear a single negative thing, only positive things. To me the fact that I didn't hear anything negative was a big deal, since many people often spout off the negative before the positive. We loved our first year at Topeka and are looking forward to next year. The principal is amazing--I love her openness with all parents and her monthly "Coffee with the Principal" where parents discuss their concerns with her. She encourages all parents to stay involved in their children's education to continue to make Topeka a positive school environment. My son looked forward to every day of school and now his brother is excited to be able to go to Topeka too. I grew up in the private school system and wasn't sure how I would like putting my kids in a public school. I have not regretted it and have, in fact, had a more positive experience than I imagined.

Posted July 18, 2011

great school, wonderful parents, a top A+ principal. it feels now like a private school. many changes, all wonderful this last past year. keep great people coming!

Posted July 18, 2011

Topeka is a great school with great teachers, principal and parents. Topeka was a great school before, during and will remain a great school after the KDLP program moves. Topeka was a school with competitive API scores before the KDLP program was implemented, and continued to maintain the same API average scores while the KDLP program was there. This school will remain a great school because of its dedicated, hardworking teachers, principal, staff, and parents. The teachers have high academic expectations of their students and push them to reach their individual potential. I have been a parent here for 9 years and believe my children have received a top notch education.

Posted July 18, 2011

The principal and teachers at this school are wonderful. Principal is very involved in the school and wants what is best for the students.

Posted July 18, 2011

We specifically moved to the area so that our children could attend Topeka. We have been happy with all of our teachers, with the exception of one scatter-brained 2nd grade teacher. I removed my daughter from that particular class, and it has been smooth-sailing since then. The teachers are hard-working, dedicated professionals that do their best with the large classes they have. We are happy to be Tigers!

Posted March 15, 2011

Excellent dual language program, unfortunately weak leadership and lack of support along with some ignorant parents will ruin the school. API scores dropped after new leadership entered. Some parents want to use dual language as a scapegoat for all the problems at the school which is really sad since all students there receive the same education. School is racist if you're Korean or affliated with dual language program. Communication regarding issues have not resolved any of the issues. Truly miss a strong leader at the school.

Posted January 27, 2011

My children attend Topeka. Our teachers are awesome, caring and challenge the kids. As a director and manager I've learned if you don't speak up, you won't be heard. If you are unable to communicate directly and attempt to influence then you'll remain in your bitter silence. I'm a minority and can tell you the school is not racist.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Females82%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 374 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents13232%
Students20989%
Employees3367%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9815 Topeka Drive