Posted August 18, 2014
Good school with great academics. I love all the teachers, but the students not so much.

Posted June 28, 2014
I love Oak Park! I'm going to be in 10th grade in the fall. I love the teachers. Of course there are some teachers who are just bad, but you have to get used to them. Some of the students are the typical snobby people, considering the neighborhood. It was my first time going here, and I loved it! I'm out of the district, and it is a very challenging school (regular CP classes feel like AP classes sometimes). It's a very nice school in a very safe area!

Oak Park High School 2

Posted June 10, 2014
The teachers at this school are very good with many that truly want to be educators. The administration is awful. Their answer to a student with any challenges or behavior issues is to send them to Oak View or get rid of them. All they care about is where the school ranks in the county and test scores. If your child is an independent learner, gifted and only wants to please then they will do well here. If your child struggles academically then they will not be happy here. On several occasions my child was not allowed in a group for a group project because the students refused to allow anyone without a 4.0 in their group and the teachers do not try and stop this behavior. Students belittle other students if they don't have straight A's. I know of a child that was teased and called an underachiever because they had a B average.

Posted May 09, 2014
Based on our experience, Oak Park is an excellent school. My son was in private school until 8th grade. We obtained an inter-district transfer and moved him to Oak Park for 8th grade and he will be graduating this year. I read some of the other comments ... It did not appear to me that the kids had too much homework ... my son frequently has/had none. He chose to take only a few AP courses ... and did well in them. I don't think he felt any pressure to take a lot of them. He loved the teams at Oak Park, and loved cheering for them. A lot of the teachers at Oak Park are great, some are okay, and some are not so good, but that is normal, and every child needs to learn to deal with all types. Nothing is perfect. The best things about Oak Park are that it is not the 'status symbol' oriented school that Agoura, Calabasas and Westlake tend to be; the school has a very good reputation with colleges, and it will help when it comes time to apply (he was accepted to almost all of the schools he applied to); the Life Skills Retreat is an amazing experience for each child; and every one of the friends my son made were great kids. Most important, he has been very happy here.

Oak Park High School 2

Posted April 14, 2014
Don't be seduced by the high API and test scores. If you want your child to be a happy , kind hearted , well rounded individual that is prepared for life , this is not the school for you. If you believe that your child should spend most of his waking hours on school work and in a state of perpetual tension and stress, this is your school.

Posted March 19, 2014
I think Oak Park High School is a great school. My son will graduate this year and started in the school district in middle school at Medea Creek. We are not one of the wealthy families in the neighborhood but that has not presented an issue for my son. He made lots of friends. This school has an extensive list of course offering compared to L.A. Unified and everything is done online; which made is easy for me to keep up with grades and school informaton. This is a fairly small school but I liked that. Not as big as Westlake & not a small as some private schools. The counselors and principal were always available when needed and they have good processes in place at this school where they try to address scheduling & everything systematically so all questions are answered at the parent meetings they have in the evenings for big benchmark items like how to register for classes, fill out college applications, order transcripts etc. This is a very family oriented community & neighborhood. You will want to participate as a parent & hopefully you will be able to. Everyone there has been nice to me & my son. I am glad I chose to move to this school district. We have no regrets.

Oak Park High School 4

Posted March 18, 2014
My son is in 9th grade at OPHS and is having a good experience. We are out of district but have been there since middle school. He has a nice group of friends from all grade levels and does alright academically. I disagree that the teachers don't care or the counselor is not helpful. Anytime I have needed to communicate with them they have got back to me immediately and have helped me figure out how to best help my son achieve, whether it's meeting up for 7th period or peer tutoring with kids whom have already had the class. He was recently approached by a teacher to enroll next year in an AP class so I don't know if it's difficult or not to get honors/AP but I feel the teachers know who's capable and who's not. There are a lot of families with money, us definitely not being one of them, but my son has no problem with anyone making him feel less than. I feel the school is safe and am happy he's here. The only reason I didn't rate it 5 stars is that some of the teachers expectations in a CP class is a little much and it can cause some stress but I'm also glad they believe the children are capable of rising to the occasion instead of dumbing down the curriculum. On that I'm torn.

Posted March 11, 2014
I sent my child to Oak Park High School, and she was out of district. Biggest mistake of my life. My daughter is a very smart person, and she is also a very bright girl. However, she had little friends because we aren't the richest people, and she had a hard time keeping up with the rigorous education here. A regular class is like an AP class! Teachers DO NOT care about their students, only about their pay. Only a few students have actually been inspired by their teachers. Along with that, there is literally only one counselor for 300+ freshmen. How they think they can handle that, I don't know. Oak Park High School is a very overrated school full of fake, spoiled, competitive brats.

Posted March 09, 2014
I regret sending my child to this school. The environment is intense and anxiety provoking.... For anyone. CP classes have the rigor of an AP at any other school. Most of the teachers are terrible and set a bad example for kids. The students are competitive, spoiled, and selfish.

Posted February 13, 2014
What can I tell you, my family moved here for the school district. I thought it was a small-ish school, with good teachers and great opportunities. However I was denied entry in an honors class because of space. I doubt they even read my letter, and my friend had the same problem. All I ever hear is how lucky we are to go to such a wonderful school. How I have so many people to talk to. Did you know that there's only one freshman counselor? There's over 300 freshman at this school. There's no personal connection with students and any faculty at this school. Teachers have so many students, it's no surprise that they don't care about them. My English class has over 40 students, same with my PE and Science class. My math class has about 50 desks crammed in a small little room, making it hard to navigate across the room. No space. None of the teachers know what goes on in their school. Almost every teacher I have went to this school when they were younger. They still believe that Oak Park is a tiny little bubble of amazing education and a great learning experience. It's not. Sports and honors classes have very limited spaces making it hard for students to make the most of school.

Oak Park High School
899 Kanan Road, Oak Park, CA  91377
Last modified Oak Park High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oak Park High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top