Red Oak Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Oak Park

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $495,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,920.

Posted May 20, 2014

We need to allow everybody raise their voice and we need to respect others opinion. We should not shut on the face. Everybody has choice to go other school and I don't think anybody asking opinion. We are rating this school based on individual experience. Let us allow everybody to provide valuable feedback and keep this env well professional. Thanks

Posted March 29, 2014

To the parents who are from out of district - GO SOMEWHERE ELSE if you're not happy here - PLEASE!!! My kids would have been LAUSD and we chose happily to come to OPUSD where the teachers are amazing and the students are intellectually way above other school districts. We're now in district and love our school and our kids are learning, excelling and doing better than 99% of other schools around the country. Our teachers are over burdened with too many students, I agree, HOWEVER, our students are still way above most other schools in the country. The PFA (the same 20 volunteers out of a school of 625) sees that teachers get classroom aides, MUSIC, P.E., computer classes and more! Try going to LAUSD or other school districts and see what you get for your measly $10 donation. The only reason I gave a four is because if you have a special needs child this is NOT the district for you. If your child does not fit into the "box" go somewhere else as fast as you can. They try to help, but special needs does not ultimately help district scores, and that is all the Superintendent cares about.

Posted March 5, 2014

Red Oak is a wonderful school! The teachers care about the children! My children are excelling there! I couldn't be happier! If you are unhappy with the school, you have a choice to leave. I think you are afraid of what you will find somewhere else.

Posted February 6, 2014

If you don't like Red Oak, then leave. :-) I went there back in the early 90's and now I own 2 homes and making well over $250,000 a year. So...now my kids will go there.

Posted February 6, 2014

This school is completely overrated! All of the hype this school district does is ridiculous. After actually being inside the school and seeing what really goes on, we are completely disappointed with the lack of quality teaching and will look elsewhere. There is NO differentiation whatsoever and the teachers have every child do the exact same thing. Our child came into first grade with very high math skills and he is forced to sit and do dittos after he finishes his work. When you ask the primary grade teachers for more challenging material for your child, they come up with excuses as to why they cannot provide it. The amount of dittos that are used are unbelievable. Our child's current teacher uses intimidation tactics to "manage" her class and she clearly likes to assert her power over the parents if they do not do what she wants. The principal is useless and seems as though he is managed by the teachers. With all of the money and parent participation this school receives, it's very disappointing to see how poorly they perform. The reason their test scores are so high is because children come in with high skills beforehand, not from the teachers doing anything special.

Posted November 28, 2013

Totally agree with the previous reviewers. OPUSD had gone way too far with the district of choice program. Classes are way over-sized. Elementary schools have 30 kids per class, middle is 35 to 40 per class and high is 40 to 50. What kinds of quality education we can talk about in this situation. The only winner in here is oversized and high inefficient OPUSD administration that enjoys a steady flow of $ from the out-of-distrci students, while Oak Park residents and especially OP kids are the one who suffer the consequences including declining quality of education, increased traffic, loss of community values and as a result loss of property value. On top of that OP residents continue to pay the parcel tax to keep the OPUSD party going. Just check how many negative reviews were posted this year about all OPUSD schools and how the test scores had dropped. But don't worry the OPUSD administration will continue to send us cheerful emails telling that things had never been better, and if there is anyone to blame for the poor performance of OPUSD schools that would be the California government and Oak Park resident who (stupid them) don't want to pay more taxes.

Posted November 25, 2013

What can I say. I will keep it short and say NOT HAPPY. Very disappointed with all the district transfers that are allowed into this district. Where has our sense of community gone, people?! There are kids all the way from Oxnard to Woodland Hills attending our school, using fake local addresses or winning lotteries to 'get in'. This has gotten ridiculous and has diluted the quality that this school and district were known for. Kudos to Conejo USD for not selling out. Guess what? We're moving there for next year. My sons will get a true sense of community and a district that takes care of it's own for their remaining elementary years.

Posted November 4, 2013

Because we moved to the area specifically for this school, we are now saddened to see that our expectations have not been met. Our kindergartener is jammed into a classroom of 29 students with a great teacher who is barely getting by with minimal support. The administration seem burnt out and there isn't the amazing electrical charge that we had so hoped for within this school. We are already weighing our options for next year and looking at the neighboring school district. The test scores dropped this year which also plays a role in rethinking our decision.

Posted October 28, 2013

Been at the school for four years now and hands down the best in Oak Park, the faculty and parents make the school a great experience most importantly for my children. I would not even consider other schools in the area. red Oak is by far the best!!

Posted October 1, 2013

We returned to Red Oak after three years out of state and found things to be VERY different, unfortunately not in a good way. Class sizes are 25-34, jammed in tiny classrooms, with all the added stress and reduced one on one contact with their teachers. yet the district is still accepting out of district applicants in spite of the crowded conditions. The music program is no more, unless you count the well-meaning/pleasant but rather inept aide pushing a 'music cart' from room to room. The school's parent association is asking for more and more money -- several hundred a year per child -- plus a lengthy list of school supplies. Teachers are trying their best, but you can already see the exhausted frustration on their faces and we're only a month into the school year. This school has a very poor, disengaged administrator who doesn't seem to care to even want to be there. Sad decline, and not all due to the devastating budget cuts. As returning parents, we're already considering our private- and home-school options. Sad.

Posted August 21, 2013

I'd have to agree with the person who posted the teachers in the lower grades are nurturing while the teachers in the upper grade are overly controlling. The Responsibility Statements have to go! These do nothing to foster an innate sense of responsibility and only stress the good students out. There are also a couple of upper grade teachers that obviously have lost their love for teaching years ago and really need to go. Heads up about the "Room Parents." I've never seen such a cliquish group of parents in all my life. They will not let you "in" and you will not have a say unless you are part of their exclusive club. It's too bad, because other than that there are so many wonderful, hardworking teachers and the above factors exponentially detract from that. Sadly, administration is seemingly unable to deal with any of it.

Posted July 29, 2013

I wanted to write this review in response to the review below. This is a public school, why would something like rock climbing be included in the curriculum! The school offers after school enrichment, where kids can play sports, make ceramics, act and dance. There is art during the school day. They do have science and technology classes. There are academic contests: spelling bee, geography bee and the math & science olympiad (to name a few). There is an after school drama program. There are two performances a year! They do have special education (if it states your child needs special education in their IEP they will receive it, its the LAW). They do have pull out programs for students that are struggling. The learning center helps children with language arts. My daughter went through this program in 1st grade and now reads two grade levels above her current one! The reviewer sounds like they are more interested in extra curricular activities than a quality education. Red Oak provides a quality public school education. They do have "fun" things too. I cannot speak highly enough about this school!

Posted January 16, 2013

Hi Everyone! there is no Basketball, no Fencing, no Football, twice a week P.E. classes, no Rock climbing,no Soccer,no Tennis, no Arts & activities, no Ceramics/sculpture no Chorus no Community service yes Computer arts no Drawing/painting no Science and technology yes Student council / student government yes Yearbook no Academic contests no Dance yes Newspaper no Science and technology yes Student council / student government no Theater/drama no Video/film production no Special education no Pull-out at Red Oak There is no principal's leadership.

Posted September 17, 2012

A dream come true! The principal and teachers are highly accessible and parents want to be involved. It is a pleasant atmosphere for all and highly conducive to learning. There is no place I would rather have my children and we have been to both public and private.

Posted July 22, 2012

We are intradistrict and we are so happy. Started in Discovery K and now to 2nd grade. We love our teachers, staff, and mainly the friends my child has made. Yes the in zone parents are very cliquey, but what school would be with out this element? This has no issue as my child has many friends in each grade. RO does a great job with older or younger buddies each year. Any issue you have will be all hands on deck as far as I am concerned. Lunch aids, included! My child feels loved and respected all while learning with the best technologies. The programs they offer are above the standards. 2 PE classes a week, not many PS can say they do this especially with budget cuts. Come for a tour, leave with sign up sheets! The diversity is also a huge welcome as we have avenues of beautiful heritage's to learn from. Feeling very lucky with the families we have meet. Highly recommend.

Posted June 2, 2012

This is the first year my kids have attended ROES - we were accepted through the inter-district lottery. And what a blessing that has beesn! My 2nd grader attended another school previously and, while the teachers were fantastic, that was where my love for the school stopped. Here at ROES, both of my kids are involved in 21st century learning. I've read previous comments that say these kids are pushed too hard... Compared to the last school my child went to, ROES has proven to me why they are among the most distinguished schools. The teachers go above and beyond to make sure that no kid is left behind in their education. I also love that the principal is hands on and present, from greeting the kids in the morning on their way to the playground, to his constant visits to the classrooms. We couldn't be happier with the decision we've made.

Posted January 7, 2012

As a parent and former classroom teacher, I had extremely high expectations as I researched different area schools. I toured numerous schools, made spreadsheets using data from different area schools, interviewed parents/teachers at different schools, spoke with families at the middle and high school levels, and used the Great Schools website to round out my research. I left no stone unturned when selecting a school for our son (K). Now that we are at Red Oak, I am so thrilled with the experience our son is having! He is thriving academically under the guidance of caring and supportive teachers. Red Oak boasts excellent parent support and involvement, kind and dedicated teachers, and a strong school community. We have seen our son continue to make strides academically, especially with the flexible grouping for language arts. He enjoys the extra-curricular activities (art, music, computers, P.E., cooking etc.) and has enjoyed utilizing technology in the classroom. The students and families in our class are all very nice as well. While no school is perfect, Red Oak has been perfect for us!

Posted October 17, 2011

We moved to Oak Park specifically for the schools here after months of research. Red Oak is an incredible school, the teachers are wonderful and the PFA is outstanding. There is a huge community spirit at the school and we are very happy with our decision

Posted May 23, 2011

We have one student leaving for middle school next year and another whom we are moving to a different district. The music program is outstanding and the PFA has stepped up to fill in with fundraising, but parents and students are very cliquish. The teachers are a mixed bag. Most only pay lip service to a parent-teacher partnership. Students who fit well into the program do well, but there is no flexibility to adjust to the different needs of diverse learner types. If you are coming from LAUSD, you will probably be much happier here, but we are hoping to find something better in the area.

Posted April 18, 2011

We are inter-district and the inter-district person at the District Office was extremely friendly and helpful getting enrolled. Almost every teacher has a Master's in education. I was happy to get in and although we were very unhappy with the first year (too many teachers with tenure who feel untouchable) we have been more than happy with the rest of the grades. The kids receive much help other than just the teacher's (language arts, math, tutoring). One big thing though, is that the kids are extremely pushed academically - almost too much - as the school struggles to exceed their 921 Star testing (out of 1000) goal from last year. Additionally, they have pushed the class size from 19 two years ago, 22 last year to 29-30 this year. This was one of the reasons I left my district, but now I find Oak Park's size larger than my home school. However, I will not leave as I do feel there is too much to lose. Due to the amount of parent participation and fundraising, Red Oak's PFA generously subsidizes ART, EDUCATION, LIBRARY AND MUSIC PROGRAMS. I still believe this leads to a well rounded child. No school is perfect, but all in all this is school will be pretty hard to beat.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students81%

• Jon Duim
Fax number
  • (818) 597-4244

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4857 Rockfield Street