Bad
Good

This rating is not correct. This school first chartered in 1994. In the past we rated as an 8 and had a variety of parent comments both positive and otherwise. Yet when we re-charted two years ago as a independent charter school this website lost all of our past testing data and ratings. I have tried for over a year to contact them regarding this mistake and have never received a response. The state still views us as the same school with the same charter #63. I hope that greatschools will fix this error so parents can make a better informed decision. If you are interested in our school please come by for a tour. You will find staff that believes in and supports home schooling. We will come along side you and your child and help you achieve your vision for your child. We serve Madera and all adjacent counties (Fresno, Mariposa, etc.)

I love everything about this school. I can't imagine having more curriculum resources than are there and the teachers are extremely helpful and friendly. The resources available at this school seem endless.

Our experience at Mountain Home was not so cheery... Mike Cox leads with a very religious slant, and was very uncooperative when I approached him with an attitude problem with our assigned liason teacher. Our feeling was that since we are secular homeschoolers, we were not welcome. I came into the experience excited, and left very frustrated. Our experience with this district in general has left us with this feeling.

As a former classroom teacher at several great schools, I am bowled over by MHS. Teachers mingle with the families and enjoy the company of the students. Not only is there a huge variety of high quality materials, but they are open to ordering books, courses, or putting on workshops to fit each families' individual goals. How refreshing to make a passing casual comment about an interest only to have your teacher come up with several resources for you on your next check-in. Genuine caring and kindness exude from all staff. MHS is not a 'fluffy' school, no all-smiles approach glossing over big issues here. The students hit the books but in a different, very effective, way- and they have the scores to prove it. A respect for education and family as if the two are inseparable, and they are. An incredibly healthy and amazingly enjoyable approach to education. Wow.

I am extremely impressed with Mountain Home School. Yes, this is a school, but to me it is more like a big family of intelligent children, great caring and participating teachers and principal, and many exciting activities at the school as well as outside of the school. The support of the MHS staff is unbeatable and something I was unable to find anywhere else. The level of excitement to teach and learn is amazing and has taught my son that there is more to learning than sitting behind a desk for hours on end. Thank you Mountain Home School for being who you are.

Last modified Mountain Home Charter (Alternative) School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.