Posted March 10, 2014
We ve had 2 sons at RDS for 6 years. It's wonderful. But, because our older child in elem. school is inspired by math & technology and scores well, when he was in 4th and 5th grade, we considered and fully researched other MS/HS options we *perceived* to be more academic. We thought a change would be the best to build self-esteem -on his strengths- and get him positioned for HS. We decided to stay at RDS! We grew to appreciate what we didn't appreciate we already had! The exersize was an eye opener. Other than in language choices, the other schools weren't more academic. The curriculum , expectations and the teaching styles were similar. RDS had more connections *between* subjects. Besides sports, it has more extracurriculars. RDS's STEM program is inspired and rigorous. The Health strand for middle schoolers is awesome (sex, drugs, identity, nutrition). Kids aren't perpetually nervous (few bite their nails). RDS teachers are clearly at the ready for students. Middle schoolers are impressively grounded and have all kinds of chances to shine. Dig into the data about at RDS. Listen to the concepts and questions the faculty and students are articulating. Impressive.

Posted February 01, 2013
I want to BE my children ... and my greatest wish is for every child to have the opportunity to learn and grow in a place like Redwood Day School. Thank you, Redwood Day, for helping all kinds of learners -- and all kinds of people -- come together and become the best that they can be.

Posted January 30, 2013
Our family could not be more pleased with our experience at Redwood Day School (RDS). From the school's dedication to diversity, including their generous support and contributions to financial aid to the community support, to the education, and friendships formed our family is truly blessed. As a parent, I can not imagine a greater investment to make in my child's life, than to give the opportunity of education and community. Teacher Emily (KB) has been a huge part of our son's success in Kindergarten this year. I've watched, admirably, as she teaches and guides her class with a firm, but very loving hand! There are so many aspects in which the strong family/school partnership is apparent. If you're looking for a K-8 private school, I could not more highly recommend RDS! Please feel free to contact me with any questions. My older son is currently in Kindergarten at RDS. (http://www.rdschool.org/about-rds)

Posted January 29, 2013
My children have thrived at Redwood Day School! They are constantly stimulated and challenged by the strong, yet progressive academic program. Rather than simply listening to lectures, taking tests and reading textbooks, Redwood students are engaged in projects that excite their curiosity and their interest in learning. We love the beautiful redwood grove and the outdoor learning that takes place there, and in the school garden (with chickens!). It is great seeing how the children treat each other with respect in environments like the weekly all-school assemblies where the eighth graders quietly listen as kindergarteners stand up and "honor" their friends. I have an eighth grader (and a fifth grader) and looking for a high school has been bittersweet since it will be hard to match the experience we've had so far. And not just for the kids, but for the parents as well. The RDS community is a wonderful supportive and diverse group of families who really care about the school and the children there. I highly recommend Redwood Day School!

Posted January 29, 2013
My shy daughter found her voice, blossomed into an outstanding student, and critical thinker at Redwood Day School. In fifth grade I switch her from a top Oakland public school to Redwood Day School because I felt its philosophy of educating the whole child and embracing different learning styles would work best for her. It was a fantastic choice. She is now in 8th grade and has blossomed. She is a very strong student, performing at the highest levels, particularly in math and science. She did outstanding on her ISEE high school entrance exams and is looking for a high school that in her words "is rigorous." In addition, RDS helped her grow socially and emotionally. She is naturally quite shy. RDS provided her with a safe platform to find her voice in class, in school plays and as the treasurer of the student council. RDS provided rigorous academics with a healthy emphasis on social and emotional development. I believe it was the right environment to take risks, so that now my daughter is a very confident student and is ready for the challenges at whichever high school she chooses.

Posted January 29, 2013
Our family has really enjoyed Redwood Day School. For us, the school has struck the right balance between academic rigor and seeking to develop the children into balanced human beings. The extra-curricular activities (art, music, gardening, etc.) are particularly good. I like the fact that while parental involvement is encouraged, each parent is allowed to decide how much time to devote to the school.

Posted January 29, 2013
We have been so thrilled to have our daughter attend Redwood Day School. The school provides a challenging academic program, but balances that out with attention to the social emotional development of kids at all ages. Redwood Day is very diverse, and doesn't just play lip service to diversity. Diversity is reflected in numbers, but also in institutional planning, curriculum, affinity groups, and overall meaningful interactions for children from varied backgrounds. Our child is always so excited to go to school,, and loves the projects her teachers do with them on a regular basis. We have a fabulous head of school who has a strong and well-supported vision for the school, and has been a wonderful, caring and active leader. We have loved seeing our daughter come out of her shell and become a leader and participant in her school community. She does things she never would have before- talent shows, public speaking, and risk taking in general. If you want your child to be part of an inclusive, down to earth community that recognizes kids need to be challenged and guided, this is a great school for you.

Posted November 03, 2012
We can't be more pleased with our experience at RDS so far. We have a Kindergartner who started in the Fall. RDS has a very well thought out academic program. Our king of scribble scrabble is writing signs "open" and "closed" when he is playing store and recognizing #s out in public. "Why is the #12 hanging in the store at Trader Joes." In addition, they teach the children very important social skills to get along with each other --sharing, respecting others opinions even if they are different than theirs, being kind, making healthy/safe choices to name a few. Our son still thinks that he is tricking us because he has so much fun at school. He thinks that all he does is play when he is actually learning very important social and academic skills. This just feeds into building his confidence which is the foundation of making good choices as he gets older. We see him thriving daily. We are also impressed at the parent involvement, It is a friendly and diverse community that works well together.

Posted September 25, 2012
At the end of each school day when I pick up my very inspired, happy 2nd grader I am reminded of what a great decision sending my child to RDS was. In addition to a strong, well balanced academic program, the RDS focus on the whole child and strong sense of community makes this school wonderful. My child is thriving in this wholesome environment. I have great respect for the schools leadership, vision and commitment to the education and nurturing of its students.

Posted August 31, 2012
I feel good dropping off my son at RDS every day. Yes, he is making great progress academically, but what we love is that his character is also being nurtured every day. They work with the children on how to handle their emotions and how to work things out together. I feel like the teachers "get" my son and appreciate his unique approach, while gently steering him where he needs to go. We adopted our son, and have also been very, very impressed with how inclusive RDS is of all family structures. They have put a great deal of thought into how the school works and how the lessons are taught to make this happen. I am a fantastic worrier of a mom but, at RDS I know my son is in good hands.

Redwood Day School