Northern Light School 4

Posted June 30, 2014
My children are and have attended a wonderful school called The Northern Light School, serving families from pre-school, to 8th grade. The eldest of my three just graduated and thanks to NLS, he's on his way in September to attending one of the most prestigious boarding schools in the country, and oh yeah, on a full scholarship, valued at over $57,000.00 annually. NLS has partnered with me and my family to prepare my son academically, emotionally, socially, to embark on a path that will undoubtedly lead to success in college and beyond. All my children have become aware of the need to actively help others in the community, as well as around the world. The class sizes are small and the staff is nurturing, young, energetic and caring. Nonetheless, the children are encouraged to pursue their dreams and strongly believe in the concept, "Impossible is Nonething." I feel my children are not only developing educationally, but also emotionally and socially. The life skills they have learn will continue to enhance their well being as they approach adulthood . If you're familiar with the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child," then you will embrace the philosophy of The NLS.

Posted June 28, 2014
Current parent of 3 enrolled in NLS (pk, 3, 7). Our family has seen it evolve over the years. We've been there to know the original 4 founders & see shifts in teachers & office personnel. HOWEVER, like the other parent post on here, I'd have to agree that the reviews popping up over the last few days are unhappy parents who posted before. We were around for the shifts in administration. It took some adjusting, but we think that since Ms. Michelle & Ms. Kaamil have taken the lead of the school the improvements far outweigh the things unhappy families speak of (many sound too ridiculous to be true). We like the direction the school is headed in. We've always loved the teachers that NLS has hired over the years. But the new teachers are the best the school has ever had. A favorite topic of discussion at our dinner table pertains to the Art Program. Kudos for after school music and sports programs additions. We came to NLS looking for something different & found it. Every institution is going to have its challenges. But we've enjoyed our NLS experience enough that one or two difficulties isn't enough to convince us to leave.

Posted June 27, 2014
As a parent whose child has attended Northern Light School for eight years, I can truly say my son is prepared both academically and socially for the challenges that lie ahead in high school. In addition to a strong academic program, NLS instills in its students the importance of community service and their responsibility to help others who are less fortunate. NLS recently added a sports program to its curriculum, which in my opinion was the only thing missing. My son is a well-rounded young man and he has benefited tremendously from attending NLS.

Posted June 26, 2014
I am a current NLS parent and have been a NLS parent for many years now. I am very happy with the academic curriculum of the school and the extracurricular activities. I believe some of these posts are reposts from old parents that have not been with Northern Light for some years because some of the issues stated did not apply to 2013-2014 school year. NLS does have music now and sports. NLS is a small school but has been incorporating some of the programs bigger schools have. I am very happy with my son s academic progress. I do not only look at test scores. Test scores only show one has the ability to take tests. I measure on intellect. During family time we have conversations about topics that our entire world is being affected by and he knows of things that are important that we haven t covered yet. This is the measure of intelligence to me. We have not had one teacher that he has not enjoyed. And he does not want to leave. Another positive! The only benefit I get from this post is yet another year at NLS. I want to see NLS continue to thrive and provide the loving, nurturing, educational environment were kids love school and learn to be continuous learners.

Posted June 25, 2014
I've been a volunteer at Northern Light for about 12 years. I think the school is better than it ever has been. The teachers and administrative staff have never been better. We're in the best shape ever when it comes to support... we have a lot of volunteers and more people helping (financially) than ever. The list of people who visit the school and inspire the kids is unparalleled: Emmy Award winning entertainers, professional athletes, Fortune 500 CEO's and even a Supreme Court Judge. This year's graduating class has 15 of the 17 students accepted to private high schools on scholarships. And the class that graduated 4 years ago, received acceptance letters from Harvard, Yale, NYU, Swathmore, West Point, etc. Unfortunately, the economics of the world today leave us in a predicament where we HAVE to offer 93% of our students financial aid or they wouldn't be able to attend NLS. So, to help raise money, I often tell prospective supporters ANONYMOUS stories of our students, what they have to overcome and how great they're doing. I LOVE to tell these stories...the kids are AMAZING and well worth bragging about!

Posted June 25, 2014
An older boy from our neighborhood graduated from Northern Light 6 or 7 years ago. He received a partial scholarship to High School and a college scholarship, as well. So, we enrolled our son there 3 years ago. The first few months were rocky (for him and us). But around November... it all clicked. He started loving school, doing well and we "got" what was going on. It's a wonderful place and we feel like he's learning a lot...both school work and life lessons. They've worked with us as our finances have changed. Occasionally, I still disagree with a teacher or administrator but... we trust them. We're so impressed by the 8th grade graduates every year. I'm honestly shocked that people who give this school a chance are unhappy. i just can't see how.

Posted October 16, 2013
I have one son that attends Northern Light School and so far we are off to a great start. While it was very challenging to find a safe learning enviornment for my son, I was greatful to be referred to the Northen Light Family. After attending the summer program I realized that what this school had to offer was exactly what I needed for my son and that was structure and dedicated/compassionate staff members that believe in student success.So far we are very excited and my son loves learning at NLS, so for that I''m a proud parent of the NLS!

Posted September 27, 2013
I have one son that currently attends Northern Light School and one son that has graduated from NLS. I have been a NLS parent for over 7 years. My oldest was accepted to all 3 private high schools that he applied to. Then 8 out of 10 Universities that he recently applied to and is now attending a Private University for his freshman year. My youngest son is not only attending Northern Light School because of the success of his older brother but because he loves his school. This is very important to me. All schools are required to teach a specific curriculum, but what make s Northern Light School special is the children like going to school and love their teachers. It is an open learning environment where the kids are able to be who they are. A safe and loving school environment creates a student who loves to learn. Current NLS Parent

Posted September 25, 2013
We enrolled our children at Northern Light last spring, and they began school this fall. Before school started, we were accosted by former parents and employees who tried to convince us that the School was "bad", and that we shouldn't pursue enrolling. To say the least, we were concerned. The things shared with us were so scathing, that we seriously considered saying "no". But the summer slipped away. It was time for school. We said we'd "try" it for the first few weeks and make a final decision for our family. Boy, are we glad that we did! Whatever those former parents and employees said was wrong, and (to be frank!) pretty cruel. We've got nothing but glowing reviews for Northern Light. Our kids are so happy. The education and programs offered are fantastic. We were told that the school wasn't making an effort to put its best foot forward, but it is. Our son is LOVING PE classes, and our daughter is thrilled that there is Drama Club. Every morning there's a whole-school assembly that offers students the chance to come together. Clearly, they're making an effort to prove they're committed to positive turn-around in light of whatever slander was spread. It really is a GREAT SCHOOL!

Northern Light School
3710 Dorisa Avenue, Oakland, CA  94605
Last modified Northern Light School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Northern Light School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews.