PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

This is such a hidden gem! It's faculty and staff are committed to promoting a student/teacher/caregiver community and strives to educate the whole child. Lots of individualized attention to the needs of every student (intellectually and emotionally).
April 10, 2016

Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: no rating

Opportunities for professional development outside of the school; colleague mentoring and peer review; again, the collaborative teacher run model provides for ample opportunities for effective teacher development, sharing effective strategies, problem solving, and alignment of expectations.

Amount of homework: no rating

2 hours in Middle School. There is a need for re-practicing the day's lessons for muscle/mind memory. In lower school grades, it is grade/age level appropriate and designed with a specific skill (not just busy work).

Develops character: no rating

They have a morning circle that is across grades and is a time to honor exceptional students, reflect on values, and encourage the peer mentoring between grades. They also bring in speakers who have impactful stories. Discipline is handled in a way that is restorative rather than punitive and builds emotional intelligence.

My daughter has been a student since pre-K. She's an eighth grader now and has loved the experience. The learning, faculty, and community is top notch!

My children are and have attended a wonderful school called The Northern Light School, serving families from pre-school, to 8th grade. The eldest of my three just graduated and thanks to NLS, he's on his way in September to attending one of the most prestigious boarding schools in the country, and oh yeah, on a full scholarship, valued at over $57,000.00 annually. NLS has partnered with me and my family to prepare my son academically, emotionally, socially, to embark on a path that will undoubtedly lead to success in college and beyond. All my children have become aware of the need to actively help others in the community, as well as around the world. The class sizes are small and the staff is nurturing, young, energetic and caring. Nonetheless, the children are encouraged to pursue their dreams and strongly believe in the concept, "Impossible is Nonething." I feel my children are not only developing educationally, but also emotionally and socially. The life skills they have learn will continue to enhance their well being as they approach adulthood . If you're familiar with the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child," then you will embrace the philosophy of The NLS.

Current parent of 3 enrolled in NLS (pk, 3, 7). Our family has seen it evolve over the years. We've been there to know the original 4 founders & see shifts in teachers & office personnel. HOWEVER, like the other parent post on here, I'd have to agree that the reviews popping up over the last few days are unhappy parents who posted before. We were around for the shifts in administration. It took some adjusting, but we think that since Ms. Michelle & Ms. Kaamil have taken the lead of the school the improvements far outweigh the things unhappy families speak of (many sound too ridiculous to be true). We like the direction the school is headed in. We've always loved the teachers that NLS has hired over the years. But the new teachers are the best the school has ever had. A favorite topic of discussion at our dinner table pertains to the Art Program. Kudos for after school music and sports programs additions. We came to NLS looking for something different & found it. Every institution is going to have its challenges. But we've enjoyed our NLS experience enough that one or two difficulties isn't enough to convince us to leave.

As a parent whose child has attended Northern Light School for eight years, I can truly say my son is prepared both academically and socially for the challenges that lie ahead in high school. In addition to a strong academic program, NLS instills in its students the importance of community service and their responsibility to help others who are less fortunate. NLS recently added a sports program to its curriculum, which in my opinion was the only thing missing. My son is a well-rounded young man and he has benefited tremendously from attending NLS.

I am a current NLS parent and have been a NLS parent for many years now. I am very happy with the academic curriculum of the school and the extracurricular activities. I believe some of these posts are reposts from old parents that have not been with Northern Light for some years because some of the issues stated did not apply to 2013-2014 school year. NLS does have music now and sports. NLS is a small school but has been incorporating some of the programs bigger schools have. I am very happy with my son s academic progress. I do not only look at test scores. Test scores only show one has the ability to take tests. I measure on intellect. During family time we have conversations about topics that our entire world is being affected by and he knows of things that are important that we haven t covered yet. This is the measure of intelligence to me. We have not had one teacher that he has not enjoyed. And he does not want to leave. Another positive! The only benefit I get from this post is yet another year at NLS. I want to see NLS continue to thrive and provide the loving, nurturing, educational environment were kids love school and learn to be continuous learners.

I've been a volunteer at Northern Light for about 12 years. I think the school is better than it ever has been. The teachers and administrative staff have never been better. We're in the best shape ever when it comes to support... we have a lot of volunteers and more people helping (financially) than ever. The list of people who visit the school and inspire the kids is unparalleled: Emmy Award winning entertainers, professional athletes, Fortune 500 CEO's and even a Supreme Court Judge. This year's graduating class has 15 of the 17 students accepted to private high schools on scholarships. And the class that graduated 4 years ago, received acceptance letters from Harvard, Yale, NYU, Swathmore, West Point, etc. Unfortunately, the economics of the world today leave us in a predicament where we HAVE to offer 93% of our students financial aid or they wouldn't be able to attend NLS. So, to help raise money, I often tell prospective supporters ANONYMOUS stories of our students, what they have to overcome and how great they're doing. I LOVE to tell these stories...the kids are AMAZING and well worth bragging about!

Last modified Northern Light School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8